Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, zqtchas said:

10 pounds -k.png

Great ones Chas! I have a few to add if that's OK......

8.  I don't mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet food supply in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

9.  Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

10.  I think I'll just put an ' Out of Order ' sticker on my forehead and call it a day.

11.  Life is like a helicopter. I don’t know how to operate a helicopter.

12.  It’s probably my age that tricks people into thinking I’m an adult.

13.  I see people about my age mountain climbing; I feel good getting my leg through my underwear without losing my balance.

14.  If you can’t think of a word, say “I forgot the English word for it.” That way people will think you’re bilingual instead of an idiot.

15.  I’m at a place in my life where errands are starting to count as going out.

16.  Corona-roller - coaster: noun; the ups and downs of a pandemic. One day you’re loving your bubble, doing work outs, baking banana bread and going for long walks and the next you’re crying, drinking gin for breakfast and missing people you don’t even like.

17.  I’m at that age where my mind still thinks I’m 29, my humor suggests I’m 12, while my body mostly keeps asking if I’m sure I’m not dead yet.

18.  I don’t always go the extra mile anymore, but when I do it’s because I missed my exit.

19.  You don’t realize how old you are until you sit on the floor and then try to get back up .

20.  We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mysty said:

Great ones Chas! I have a few to add if that's OK......

8.  I don't mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet food supply in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

9.  Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

10.  I think I'll just put an ' Out of Order ' sticker on my forehead and call it a day.

11.  Life is like a helicopter. I don’t know how to operate a helicopter.

12.  It’s probably my age that tricks people into thinking I’m an adult.

13.  I see people about my age mountain climbing; I feel good getting my leg through my underwear without losing my balance.

14.  If you can’t think of a word, say “I forgot the English word for it.” That way people will think you’re bilingual instead of an idiot.

15.  I’m at a place in my life where errands are starting to count as going out.

16.  Corona-roller - coaster: noun; the ups and downs of a pandemic. One day you’re loving your bubble, doing work outs, baking banana bread and going for long walks and the next you’re crying, drinking gin for breakfast and missing people you don’t even like.

17.  I’m at that age where my mind still thinks I’m 29, my humor suggests I’m 12, while my body mostly keeps asking if I’m sure I’m not dead yet.

18.  I don’t always go the extra mile anymore, but when I do it’s because I missed my exit.

19.  You don’t realize how old you are until you sit on the floor and then try to get back up .

20.  We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

you are one clever cookie

• Haha 1

Oh mysty, that rings so true with me.   Some eminent Brit. has just said that we are all actually suffering from trauma, even if we don't realise it.  

Where we live is one of the few places in this country which so far does not have a vaccination centre - now promised for next week.  I will believe it when I see it, and hope it is not too far away!

I do wonder if we will feel the need for therapy when this is over.  I have tended to pride myself on being able to cope with whatever life throws, but the feeling is being eroded a bit nowadays.

Best wishes to all coolers; keep well and stay safe.

Lola

• Like 3

Hi Coolers, lots of cooking this weekend. We are celebrating Chris's birthday for all three days.

I took a day off yesterday after working last weekend. Yesterday we had potato pancakes for dinner.

Simple recipe. Grate russet potatoes on the small holes of a box grater, drain a bit, then add minced onion, salt/pepper, an egg, and some flour to thicken. It should have the consistency of a nice thick batter.

20210108_182611.thumb.jpg.bc7f236c8ad79b66b11162a8af86e7eb.jpg

Fry in plenty of oil. A rounded tablespoonful of batter makes a good-sized pancake.

20210108_182856.thumb.jpg.647f10886ca1d2ce95b6cd0cf292a971.jpg

Enjoy with sour cream and flaky salt. The more, the better!

20210109_200832.thumb.jpg.b78c02f7a6aa3e7feb6c35a43172b551.jpg

We paired them with Champagne. A riff on the classic pairing of french fries and bubbly. It was delicious. 

Tonight I made veal chops with cabernet sauce. It took a while to reduce the wine but it was worth the wait.

20210109_200720.thumb.jpg.394c4e6f670d5b1afb5481a280cd94b8.jpg

Shallots, cabernet, and garlic reduced until thick then mixed with broth that had been thickened with butter and flour. The chops were seared for a few minutes per side then finished in the oven.

Finally got a bottle of Botanist gin. The place I had ordered from before was out of stock. So I found it locally.. Amazingly complex. I mixed it with a light tonic water so that all of the subtle flavors from the gin could shine through. A nice after-dinner digestif.

Tomorrow is her actual birthday. More cooking to follow!

• Like 5

Hi JP, we call those Latkas........my Mom would make them for the holidays. They are a staple

during Hannukah.  I don't think my Mom used flour though.  Anyway, thanks for giving me 

a good memory.🙂 

• Like 1

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny....

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row. 

I decided to stop calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Old age is coming at a really bad time.

When I was a child I thought "Nap Time" was a punishment. Now, as a grownup, it feels like a small vacation. 

I don't have gray hair; I have "wisdom highlights"! I seem to get wiser every day. 

If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would've put them on my knees

Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven't met yet.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway? 

Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice. 

At my age "Getting lucky" means walking into a room and remembering what I came in there for. 

Actually I'm not complaining because I am a Seenager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later. I don't have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don't have a curfew. I have a driver's license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant. Life is great.

Have a great safe day all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends, hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about Terry not posting.  I am wondering if he is ok and I looked back on this thread. He has not posted since the last week

of December.

Terry, if you are around, let us know you are ok!   I know tomorrow night your Buckeyes play!

I am rooting for Alabama but hope it is a good game!