Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

43 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

In this digital day and age, what is this “morning paper” you are waiting on? 😉 And, does this paper also get refreshed in the evening?

THAT is a long time ago.......2 editions per day😮😲.  My dad would read the evening paper every day after coming from work. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

THAT is a long time ago.......2 editions per day😮😲

You are so right!  Things future generations will never understand.

Here’s another funny story of things from the past...

Years ago, when Silver Princess was a teenager, we watched an old family movie, “Honey I Shrunk The Kids”.  The opening scene was shot in the family’s kitchen and the telephone rings.  Silver Princess said, and I quote, “why is the phone ATTACHED to the wall and WHY does it have a CORD?”  Silver Queen and I were dumbfounded, but Silver Princess was right... she had never seen such a contraption in her life.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Yes, after I posted I realised that most people would be amazed.  Believe it or not, we still get a paper paper delivered by a chap in the village, who comes round at 6 a.m. every day.  We could perfectly well see all the news online of course, but there is something about having The Times in your hand  to read at  and after breakfast.  Sadly, we do not have a butler to iron it for us.  And one of our telephones is rooted to the spot.

My language is also very old-fashioned generally, and my spoken French amuses everyone, as I only know the words I learned some 60 years ago!  I guess I am the female version (less posh) of Jacob Rees- Mogg.

Jazzbeau - we enjoyed walking round the Guidecca, as it is so peaceful.  And nice to retire to after a day in the city  - as you say, if you have a few days at leisure.   I bet some of those palazzos on the Grand Canal which are now hotels are a bit special.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

You are so right!  Things future generations will never understand.

Here’s another funny story of things from the past...

Years ago, when Silver Princess was a teenager, we watched an old family movie, “Honey I Shrunk The Kids”.  The opening scene was shot in the family’s kitchen and the telephone rings.  Silver Princess said, and I quote, “why is the phone ATTACHED to the wall and WHY does it have a CORD?”  Silver Queen and I were dumbfounded, but Silver Princess was right... she had never seen such a contraption in her life.

That was a great movie😃

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

Believe it or not, we still get a paper paper delivered by a chap in the village, who comes round at 6 a.m. every day. 

So do we, Lola. Chris likes her Sudoku, crossword puzzles, and Jumble. I like the comics. Sometimes the news is just as comical.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

So do we, Lola. Chris likes her Sudoku, crossword puzzles, and Jumble. I like the comics. Sometimes the news is just as comical.

You have good eyes if you can read the comics in a newspaper.  I go to gocomics and get the next day's comics nice and big (and colorful) just after 1 AM.  But we do subscribe to the WSJ in paper because it's easier to read (and for the crossword puzzle).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lincslady said:

Yes, after I posted I realised that most people would be amazed.  Believe it or not, we still get a paper paper delivered by a chap in the village, who comes round at 6 a.m. every day.  

I wish that I could still get the paper delivered. Our local paper still offers the service, but unfortunately they don't follow through and actually deliver it much of the time.  It just became too much of a hassle to call them every time there was a missed delivery.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I love a real newspaper and I love a hardcover book.

I already knew we were simpatico – two more reasons!  There's nothing like the feel of paper in your hands as you read.  In our case, it may have something to do with DW and me both being retired librarians.  But I was on the cutting edge of the digital revolution in my library, for those purposes where it helps – which does not include cuddling up with a book or reading the newspaper in the smallest room...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I love a real newspaper and I love a hardcover book.

I agree with you on the book😃......I still travel with paperbacks.

• Like 1

We get 2 papers on Saturdays and another on Sundays, otherwise we read them on the iPad. 
I don’t make plans for Saturday mornings as I stay in bed with a cup of tea and start with the traveller   sections of both papers. Depending on the weather I can emerge around 11am or sometimes later. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I wish that I could still get the paper delivered. Our local paper still offers the service, but unfortunately they don't follow through and actually deliver it much of the time.  It just became too much of a hassle to call them every time there was a missed delivery.  

I understand that frustration !  At one point before we canceled our delivery person was throwing our paper from the street which typically ended up on our roof!  Having to get a ladder out to retrieve the paper was not worth the effort!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mysty said:

I understand that frustration !  At one point before we canceled our delivery person was throwing our paper from the street which typically ended up on our roof!  Having to get a ladder out to retrieve the paper was not worth the effort!

That's a good arm.  Our paper is dropped on the tongue of our driveway.  When it rains, it's usually wrapped in two plastic bags and stays dry.  When the rain comes as a surprise, it can be quite wet.  We kept our old gas stove as long as we could, because it had two pilot lights in the oven that was the perfect environment for drying out those soggy papers.  Now I really long for the above-mentioned butler to iron them!!!

• Like 1

In Switzerland the Sunday newspaper is sold on stands located around residential areas, nothing new in that except that is is purely a trust system, the flap is not locked so people are trusted to pay before taking a paper. I have been visiting or living in CH for the last 30 years and the system in still in place which tells me that it isn't abused. Got to be honest, not sure if that would work in the UK.

On a side note newspapers here in Antananarivo are sold in the streets and cost the equivalent of 13p (UK) or 20 cents (US) and they have a puzzles and cartoon page.

Not sure if you could find a cheaper newspaper than that

iu.jpeg

• Like 3

Pleased to see I am not the only Luddite.  It did set me thinking about use of trees for paper, etc.  I have no idea whether that is worse for the environment than using the internet.

I can remember when many  American movies featured a young boy on his bike riding round the suburban houses, either throwing the newspapers on the driveways or putting them into your gatepost letter boxes.  Some of us are lucky in the UK in having a  letterbox in the front door!  Saves going out in your nightwear.  (Our driveway is fairly short).  

Lola

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Pleased to see I am not the only Luddite.  It did set me thinking about use of trees for paper, etc.  I have no idea whether that is worse for the environment than using the internet.

I can remember when many  American movies featured a young boy on his bike riding round the suburban houses, either throwing the newspapers on the driveways or putting them into your gatepost letter boxes.  Some of us are lucky in the UK in having a  letterbox in the front door!  Saves going out in your nightwear.  (Our driveway is fairly short).  

Lola

Most paper is made of pulp wood from pine trees which grow very fast. 
There are large companies that own plus aquire the timber just for that purpose. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mysty said:

Ha!  That's when you need to train the squirrels to push it to the edge. 🙂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

I agree with you on the book😃......I still travel with paperbacks.

I am at the airport in Denver right now. My first trip in over a year👏 Everybody seems to be flying to see their Grandchildren, I am heading to Newport Beach to see my one and only Grandson. 
Fully vaccinated 😷

• Like 3