Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

28 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Nightcap tonight is a glass of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry.

Does this bring back memories?

I guess I slept through the Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry phase!  Is it yummy?  

12 minutes ago, mysty said:

I guess I slept through the Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry phase!  Is it yummy?  

If you like sweet.  I LOVE sweet.  So, yes.  But I would still prefer Amaretto [sweet but almond-tasting] or Trochenbeerenauslese [sweet-sweet-sweet – let me die in a diabetic coma!]

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Right up there with British Sterling    

• Haha 2

I'm guessing this British Sterling is in the same august category as the Hai Karate aftershave I used to liberally splash upon my corpus as teenager (probably before I was even shaving!), thinking this would certainly enhance my attractiveness to the opposite sex.  (And generally make me appear to be a stand in for Bond, James Bond).  That, and the paisley bell bottoms, 2" wide white belt, and 6" shirt collars I was rocking at the time.  How I ever attracted my current DW is quite beyond me, although it occurred well beyond those pubescent times.  

Me personally, I like nothing more these days than a little glass of Fernet Branca, a quirky Italian brew made from all manner of aromatic roots and such.  Not remotely sweet; an acquired taste, shall we say.  I probably envision myself hanging with the old Italian guys in the small town square of San Gimignagno, sipping Fernet and playing pedanque.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I'm guessing this British Sterling is in the same august category as the Hai Karate aftershave I used to liberally splash upon my corpus as teenager (probably before I was even shaving!), thinking this would certainly enhance my attractiveness to the opposite sex.  (And generally make me appear to be a stand in for Bond, James Bond).  That, and the paisley bell bottoms, 2" wide white belt, and 6" shirt collars I was rocking at the time.  How I ever attracted my current DW is quite beyond me, although it occurred well beyond those pubescent times.

Was there a total eclipse of the sun?  [Joke from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum]

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Omg !!! Well that's a name I know very well !!! Now living in bath I'm a Bristol girl !!!

My mother had so many bottles in the classic Bristol blue bottle .( Famous Bristol blue) Harvey's were a wine merchant in Bristol from the late 1700..it was based right in the city of Bristol near the docks ... They had a fabulous restaurant at one time...

Well found memories and a blast from the past !!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mysty said:

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry ....Is it yummy?  

I enjoyed it.  I was a little disappointed compared to my memory of it.  (How often does that happen?!)

Sweet like Jazzbeau says, but not cloying.  I hadn't had sherry in years, I think I'll try another one next time, open to suggestions.  Will try to find WWforT's 

19 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Fernet Branca

8 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Famous Bristol blue

Still comes in a beautiful bottle

image.png.69e8beb1a3452494d953603d7599eaf1.png

I refuse to answer the precap question on the grounds that I will be incriminated 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 1969 Austin-Healey Sprite, with a 4 speed stick, did not have syncromesh on 1st gear.

40 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

My oh my, you two are really old.  My Schwinn had 10-speeds back on 1974.

I resemble that remark.  My bride, however, does not!

My English Racer bike had a 3 speed.  An improvement over our Royce Union and Schwinn one-speeds, not to be confused with high class fixed-gear racing bicycles! 

You youngsters can ask for any clarifications you might like

• Haha 3

My first bike was an English Humber, which my father spent more than he should have because it had a complete chain cover and he thought it would keep my pants clean.  It might have done, except that it was stolen early on.  After that I got more mundane bikes with exposed chains, and stronger chain locks!

• Like 1

They say all bikes end up weighing the same.  If you have a 7# $7000 carbon fiber bike, you need a 20# chain and lock to keep from getting it stolen.  If you have a $70 funky old bike that weighs 25#, you don't need any lock.  I fall in the latter category - I ride a well maintained *beater, that has no cache' - and no one wants to steal it.  

*A Raleigh "commuter" bike, flat handlebars, sensible tires, 21 speeds actually, including the much-dissed "granny" ring on the pedal crank end.  Cost $350 15 years ago, I rode 11 Cycle Oregon rides (week long organized rides all over Oregon, typically 500 miles over hill and dale), it just goes and goes.  I've informed my DW (who fell in love with me, apparently, during a total eclipse of the sun), that I should be buried with it, like a General with his faithful horse.  

• Like 2

Good morning🙂, could I get a recommendation from any of you on a hotel in Athens? I have been researching and found a couple that get good reviews at a reasonable price but just wondered if ya'll have any preferences.  

The 2 big 5 star properties are way more $$$ than I want to spend.....The King George and Grand Beretagne......they both look awesome but too much $$$$........

Has anyone stayed at Athens Gate or Elia Ermou? They both look good and get very good reviews and are much more reasonably priced.