Carnival LNG Ship to homeport at Port Canaveral

jedi bobs

There also aren’t going to be very many tall, open spaces like there are on RCI’s Oasis class or MSC’s Meraviglia class. The long promenades with high ceilings have a high cubic (not square) footage that drives up the gross tonnage, but you obviously can’t walk ten feet off the ground. Even something like the traditional tall atrium produces a lot of inaccessible space - great for glass elevators and balloon drops, but not particularly efficient.

If this rendering is correct, this ship won’t have a “Skydome” or “Four Elements” type space that functions as a covered Lido by day and an entertainment space by night. There may still be nighttime top deck entertainment (like Princess), but it would be different than what AIDA and P&O are getting.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

I think it will be more similar to what Costa is doing on the Smerelda than Aida or P&O but I can't find English deck plans for her and I don't speak Italian so I'm a little clueless as to what that might be.

Too small of a ship and too many people
If 180,000 tons is too small then you must really like the 4 behemoths of the seas from RCI since they are all 225,000+. 180,000 is bigger than the Meraviglia from MSC and the Bliss from NCL, which are both just under 170,000.

Maybe you'll like the World Class ships from MSC, which will be out in 2022 and come in at 200,000 tons?

For a year or so then they move it.

Possibly but they will only move it just in time for the second new build of its class to take its place. The port is building a new pier for this venture and I assure you it will not be for one year.

If 180,000 tons is too small then you must really like the 4 behemoths of the seas from RCI since they are all 225,000+. 180,000 is bigger than the Meraviglia from MSC and the Bliss from NCL, which are both just under 170,000.

Maybe you'll like the World Class ships from MSC, which will be out in 2022 and come in at 200,000 tons?

If you took time to read what I wrote. I said 6000+ Pax at 180,000 ton ships is too many people for that size. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking mega ships.

One thing to keep in my mind is that gross tonnage is a measure of volume. The Oasis has the Royal Promenade, only deck 5 in the royal promenade has space that is actually usable for accomandating passengers walking about. The deck 6 and 7 space is just a void.

As an example. My house has about 2500 square feet of floor space. However, it is a open design, with a cathederal ceiling over the great room/kitchen/kitchen dining nook and the foyer two stories tall. If they had extended the second floor over these areas, my house would gain almost another 500 square of feet of floor space for a total 3000 square feet. However I would loose the openness.

Since they do not provide floor space measurements it is kind of hard to compare ships in regards to how crowded they would feel with X number of passengers on board.

Unless the ship is larger than the Oasis class, the passenger count will make it one crowded vessel.

I believe chengkp75 has said that Carnival is working with Shell on building a LNG fueling barge.

In regards to the "one and done" comment. Usually when a cruise company contracts with a port to build a new terminal, the contract says the the cruise company promises to embark X number of passengers per year for Y number of years. There is nothing that says it has to be a particular ship, but in this case, due to the size of the ship there are only a few ports that can handle the number of passengers embarking and disembarking.

They are supposed to be building an LNG type facility on the west side of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, south of any bridge that restricts the size of any cruise ship from passing under it. It would be great if they included a cruise port in the planning. We could see a lot of options for cruising out of the Mid Atlantic when that happens.

They are supposed to be building an LNG type facility on the west side of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, south of any bridge that restricts the size of any cruise ship from passing under it. It would be great if they included a cruise port in the planning. We could see a lot of options for cruising out of the Mid Atlantic when that happens.

I should have looked first and posted after!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-dominion-cove-point-lng/vessel-exits-maryland-cove-point-lng-export-terminal-shipping-data-idUSKCN1GE1SM

They have already begun exporting gas from the Cove Point Facility. All they would have to do is build a dedicated cruise facility somewhere near it, with decent road access and cheaper parking that Baltimore charges, and it would be a boom for the Mid Atlantic cruise business.

One thing to keep in my mind is that gross tonnage is a measure of volume.

Well, displaced volume of water.

The actual interior volume of the vessel is dependent on how the structure is built, and materials used, of course. A ship made of lead with low ceilings will be a lot smaller volumetrically than one made of titanium with tall ceilings and open atria. Neither material is practical, of course.

I do look forward to seeing the deck plans for this new Carnival ship class!

Well, displaced volume of water.

The actual interior volume of the vessel is dependent on how the structure is built, and materials used, of course. A ship made of lead with low ceilings will be a lot smaller volumetrically than one made of titanium with tall ceilings and open atria. Neither material is practical, of course.

I do look forward to seeing the deck plans for this new Carnival ship class!

No, you are mistaking "displacement tonnage" with "gross tonnage". Displacement tonnage is the amount of water the ship displaces when it sits in the sea, and equals the actual weight of the ship. Oasis' displacement is somewhere around 100,000 metric tons. Gross tonnage is a unitless measure (the old Gross Registered Tonnage actually was defined as 100 cubic feet) of the internal volume of a ship, and the Net Tonnage is a measure of the cargo (or in this case, passenger) volume of the ship (gross tonnage minus tankage, crew spaces, and engineering spaces). Gross tonnage is no longer a direct measure of ship's volume as there is a design coefficient used in the calculation that varies with the range of volume. So, as noted, Oasis of the Seas has a Gross Tonnage of around 225,000 (note that there is no unit after the number, though most sites like Wiki put "tons" there), and a displacement of around 100,000 tonnes.

Maybe you should call them up and tell them their numbers are wrong.

You did read his breakdown right? And his note that perhaps the "600" figure might include small vessels?

From what I presume is the source of your number:

https://www.lngworldnews.com/global-lng-fleet-set-for-record-year/

VesselsValue data says that the total global LNG fleet currently stands at 600 vessels out of which 499 ships are in service, and 101 ships are on order.

Immediately preceding this was:

this data ... includes large LNG carriers, midsize and small-scale vessels and RLNG.

No, you are mistaking "displacement tonnage" with "gross tonnage". Displacement tonnage is the amount of water the ship displaces when it sits in the sea, and equals the actual weight of the ship. Oasis' displacement is somewhere around 100,000 metric tons. Gross tonnage is a unitless measure (the old Gross Registered Tonnage actually was defined as 100 cubic feet) of the internal volume of a ship, and the Net Tonnage is a measure of the cargo (or in this case, passenger) volume of the ship (gross tonnage minus tankage, crew spaces, and engineering spaces). Gross tonnage is no longer a direct measure of ship's volume as there is a design coefficient used in the calculation that varies with the range of volume. So, as noted, Oasis of the Seas has a Gross Tonnage of around 225,000 (note that there is no unit after the number, though most sites like Wiki put "tons" there), and a displacement of around 100,000 tonnes.

Oh man, you are right!

Sorry about that. Coffee hadn't kicked in.

Oh, and in my lame defense, the original press release in the first post states:

"Construction of the 180,000-ton cruise ship"

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
lame defense

Oh man, you are right!

Sorry about that. Coffee hadn't kicked in.

Oh, and in my lame defense, the original press release in the first post states:

"Construction of the 180,000-ton cruise ship"

Hell, even the Science Channel talks about ships weighing in at their gross tonnage figures, and even some people who should know better (like the RCI project manager for Harmony) states that this is the heaviest ship, and largest ship in the world. Wrong on both counts, Oasis class is around 16th in gross tonnage, and around 35th in displacement. Everyone uses gross tonnage as that is the most publicized number, because it is used for tonnage tax calculations. Deadweight tonnage doesn't mean much to a cruise ship, and displacement doesn't mean much to any commercial ship, except to the designers.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would this mean they'd get rid of an existing ship that home ports at Pt. Canaveral to accommodate the new one? I love the Liberty and would hate it to leave here.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would this mean they'd get rid of an existing ship that home ports at Pt. Canaveral to accommodate the new one? I love the Liberty and would hate it to leave here.

It is possible the library might leave. it depends on what kind of numbers carnival estimates and expects. If carnival only wants one ship to port at Port Canaveral, the other ship has to leave

It is possible the library might leave. it depends on what kind of numbers carnival estimates and expects. If carnival only wants one ship to port at Port Canaveral, the other ship has to leave

As long as they keep the 4 day sailings out of Pt. Canaveral i'll be happy. I can't imagine they'd use a huge ship like this for the short sailings.

Carnival tends to have newer ships do 6-8 day itineraries. It’s just as possible the Breeze or Elation is repositioned as it would be the Liberty. Norfolk and San Diego will be vying for full-time (or at least longer seasonal service) with their ships, and Carnival Spirit is headed back to Australia in October 2020.

Now that said, Terminal 3 is not currently in use as it is being rebuilt for Carnival. It is very possible that Port Canaveral gets an extra ship.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

If you took time to read what I wrote. I said 6000+ Pax at 180,000 ton ships is too many people for that size. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking mega ships.

Oasis class ships have a lot of empty volume that is unusable, that is contributing to the GRT. CCL builds ships a bit differently, so I think it will not feel any more crowded than the Oasis class. Time will tell if they change their build design. I for one am really glad to see an entirely new hull. Dream & Vista class just seemed like slightly modified versions of the Destiny/Triumph/Conquest class hulls.