Carnival LNG Ship to homeport at Port Canaveral

jedi bobs

I read on a local newspaper's website that the design would be essentially the same as the new 180,000 Gross Tonnage ships being built for Costa (also part of the Carnival Corp family).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-new-carnival-cruise-line-ships-20160907-story.html

Go to the photo slide show. There are also a couple of photos of a large Costa cruise ship.

Two new Carnival Cruise Line ships to debut in 2020 and 2022 will be the line's largest ever at 180,000 gross tons and 5,200-passenger capacity at double occupancy. The design for the ship will be similar to those on order for Costa Cruises, which is a sister line to Carnival Cruse Line.

And I think I read that the Costa ships are similar/same as ones being procured for AIDA (also Carnival Corp).

Anyone got any specs or data on those? Curious how much Carnival would change for this new variant.

I read on a local newspaper's website that the design would be essentially the same as the new 180,000 Gross Tonnage ships being built for Costa (also part of the Carnival Corp family).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-new-carnival-cruise-line-ships-20160907-story.html

Go to the photo slide show. There are also a couple of photos of a large Costa cruise ship.

And I think I read that the Costa ships are similar/same as ones being procured for AIDA (also Carnival Corp).

Anyone got any specs or data on those? Curious how much Carnival would change for this new variant.

Yes, Costa Smeralda, Iona (P&O UK), and AIDAnova are all the same design. There may be some minor differences in capacity and length (not really sure why), but they all carry around 5200 passengers at double occupancy and will be 180,000 (or slightly over) gross tons.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would this mean they'd get rid of an existing ship that home ports at Pt. Canaveral to accommodate the new one? I love the Liberty and would hate it to leave here.

I think it's a great question. My answer, I don't think anything is leaving. CCL had added to the 'weekender ship' count there but was still down a 7/8 day boat from the traditional 2.

I think it's a great question. My answer, I don't think anything is leaving. CCL had added to the 'weekender ship' count there but was still down a 7/8 day boat from the traditional 2.

The article specifically said Carnival plans to bolster their presence, which indicates a strengthening of their current fleet out of the port.

I think the exciting part for the area is the fact the LNG fueling set up (which will occur in tandem) will also bring other new builds from different carriers (such as RCCL) making their homeport in PC. Clearly, the stage is being set for Port Canaveral to become the premier port of Florida surpassing the ports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

If you took time to read what I wrote. I said 6000+ Pax at 180,000 ton ships is too many people for that size. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking mega ships.

"Too small of a ship and too many people.". This was your exact post that I referenced and quoted. No mention whatsoever about 6000+ pax or 180,000 tons. When all you say is too small of a ship, it's easy to infer that you prefer larger ones.

The article specifically said Carnival plans to bolster their presence, which indicates a strengthening of their current fleet out of the port.

I think the exciting part for the area is the fact the LNG fueling set up (which will occur in tandem) will also bring other new builds from different carriers (such as RCCL) making their homeport in PC. Clearly, the stage is being set for Port Canaveral to become the premier port of Florida surpassing the ports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

So true at PC since RCI built their new terminal, their ships are so close to Grill's. Just a stones throw away.

If sitting outside having lunch/drinks on the patio and seeing the ship RIGHT there doesn't excite you?????

It is possible the library might leave. it depends on what kind of numbers carnival estimates and expects. If carnival only wants one ship to port at Port Canaveral, the other ship has to leave

Carnival has had 3 ships based at Canaveral for awhile. I don’t see any situation where Carnival drops to 1 ship there.

Carnival has had 3 ships based at Canaveral for awhile. I don’t see any situation where Carnival drops to 1 ship there.

I think he meant 1 ship over another. Not 1 ship at PC period.

Carnival Corp has a long history of developing a single ship design and using it across multiple brands. It saves a lot of money. Their new LNG ships currently slated for Aida, Costa, P&O, and Carnival share many, many features. But there are some differences.

For example, while the basic hull designs are the same the bows and sterns of the Aida and Costa ships appear identical, as do the bows and sterns of the Carnival and P&O ships. The upper decks (pool areas, domes, etc.) have been adapted to each brand. Carnival will likely deploy this ship in warm climates like the Caribbean so no dome is needed, while P&O and Aida will have more Northern European itineraries where weather is an issue.

Overall, I’d expect many interior arrangments like stairwell/elevator locations, restaurants, showrooms, etc to be the same across all the ships with only decor being changed for each brand.

111F8B67-66EE-495C-958F-D6D5DA82C033-e1535042187662.jpeg

Here you see the difference between the stern design on the P&O/Carnvial ships and the Aida/Costa ships.

93029A37-D9E4-477E-BEFD-34C89A5D0955-e1527195921825.jpeg

In terms of passenger space:

Carnival Panorama - 135,000 gross tons / 4,008 passengers (double occupancy) = passenger space ratio of 33.682

New 2020 ship - 180,000 gross tons / 5,284 passengers (double occupancy) = passenger space ratio of 34.065

Carnival Panorama - 135,000 gross tons / 4,008 passengers (double occupancy) = passenger space ratio of 33.682

New 2020 ship - 180,000 gross tons / 5,284 passengers (double occupancy) = passenger space ratio of 34.065

And in this comparison, I feel that the GT/pax figure is fairly useless. The more accurate ratio to measure passenger space per passenger would be Net Tonnage (the Gross Tonnage minus all crew spaces, engineering spaces, technical spaces, and tankage. That measures the volume available for the "cargo" (the passengers). Unfortunately, net tonnage figures are rarely seen outside of the ship's plans. Why I'm picking on this comparison in particular, is that I believe that the engineering spaces and tankage required for LNG operation will skew the net ton/pax figure even more towards the Panorama.

And in this comparison, I feel that the GT/pax figure is fairly useless. The more accurate ratio to measure passenger space per passenger would be Net Tonnage (the Gross Tonnage minus all crew spaces, engineering spaces, technical spaces, and tankage. That measures the volume available for the "cargo" (the passengers). Unfortunately, net tonnage figures are rarely seen outside of the ship's plans. Why I'm picking on this comparison in particular, is that I believe that the engineering spaces and tankage required for LNG operation will skew the net ton/pax figure even more towards the Panorama.

Good point with the engineering and logistics spaces being different than other ships...

Bring'em on! The future of mass market cruises is not new small ships folks, even if some people wish it were so.

They can build 50 floor floating skyscrapers for all I care. As long as Carnival continues sailing the Conquest class ships i'll be happy as they're the perfect size for me.

If you took time to read what I wrote. I said 6000+ Pax at 180,000 ton ships is too many people for that size. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking mega ships.

Agreed! I believe that this new class of ship (the Helios class) will hold the record for the most passengers on-board a cruise ship with an all-berth figure of 6,600.

Worryingly, the ship is some 35-40,000 gt smaller than the Oasis class, but will carry MORE passengers.:(

The passenger-to-space ratios are interesting, but they cannot measure queues and bottlenecks on-board, plus for embarkation/disembarkation and at the ports of call.

Edited by London-Calling

Agreed! I believe that this new class of ship (the Helios class) will hold the record for the most passengers on-board a cruise ship with an all-berth figure of 6,600.

Worryingly, the ship is some 35-40,000 gt smaller than the Oasis class, but will carry MORE passengers.:(

The passenger-to-space ratios are interesting, but they cannot measure queues and bottlenecks on-board, plus for embarkation/disembarkation and at the ports of call.

With it being an LNG there are a ton of questions we just cant answer. How that system compares to diesel in packaging remains to be seen. How they manage congestion points among other things we will only know once the first sailing take place.

Harmony of the Seas - 226,963 GRT / 5,479 passengers (double occupancy) = passenger space ratio of 41.42

Harmony of the Seas - 226,963 GRT / 5,479 passengers (double occupancy) = passenger space ratio of 41.42

Just a nit to pick for the sake of accuracy, but "GRT" (Gross Registered Tons), has not been used since the 80's, and that figure for Harmony is not GRT, but GT. GRT was a direct measure of volume (1GRT= 100cu ft), while GT is a non-linear factor of volume, using a design coefficient that varies with the GT range.

They can build 50 floor floating skyscrapers for all I care. As long as Carnival continues sailing the Conquest class ships i'll be happy as they're the perfect size for me.

My favorite class of ships are Conquest and Dream. I still don’t understand why they built Vista class ships, which are currently the largest ships Carnival sails, with smaller lounges/theaters. I sailed on Vista once last year, and although I had a good time like every cruise I take, I have no desire to sail on her again. I have sailed on Magic several times since sailing on Vista, and look forward to sailing on Breeze when she moves to Florida next year. I am sailing on Horizon next year, since I like to sail every new ship at least once. But that will likely be a one time experience for me, unless for some reason Horizon impresses me in a way Vista didn’t.

I am sailing on Horizon next year, since I like to sail every new ship at least once. But that will likely be a one time experience for me, unless for some reason Horizon impresses me in a way Vista didn’t.
Switch your cabin on the Horizon to one in the Havana area and your opinion might be swayed.