What I Learned From These Boards

Just returned from my first cruise. I followed a ton of advice I read on these boards, most of which was accurate and helpful. Here’s a list of what I learned that proved true and a few areas of (respectful) disagreement:

Helpful advice-

-bring magnetic hooks- we used them to dry out damp bathing suits

-bring post-it’s- helpful for writing notes to room attendant

-invest in zoom and download WhatsApp for easy free texting- worked great

-don’t overpack clothes- we lived in swimsuits, coverups, T-shirts

-pack extra sunscreen- Caribbean sun is indeed strong

-pack ziplock baggies and plastic shower caps- super helpful for bringing snacks from windjammer back to the room (cookies, nuts, granola, fruit) or covering a plate of food to take to-go.

-bring watch or portable alarm clock- cellphone and iPad didn’t usually sync with ship time

Didn’t prove true for us-

-bring (non-surge protected) power strip: our cabin had plenty of electronical outlets without one

-I was expecting the poolside ice cream machine and freestyle soda machines to always be broken based on reports on these boards but they were always in working order on our trip

-pizza- Sorrentos gets a bad rap. It’s not great but it hits the spot when you need a quick snack on an off hour.

Nice.. but I'd not be concerned about overpacking . To some extent of course.

Worst comes to worst you won't wear something.

You don't want to forget anything. While there is a store on board with necessities, they cost a lot.

After 36 cruises I managed to forget a toothpaste . I bought it onboard, but midsize Crest cost me $7+. :) Not a big deal, but still..

Even Caribbean sun? :)

I live in south florida with a pool in my backyard, the sun is brutal but Im used to it:halo:, on the other hand I rarely fight for a chair near the pool on sea days :rolleyes:

Just returned from my first cruise. I followed a ton of advice I read on these boards, most of which was accurate and helpful. Here’s a list of what I learned that proved true and a few areas of (respectful) disagreement:

Helpful advice-

-bring magnetic hooks- we used them to dry out damp bathing suits

-bring post-it’s- helpful for writing notes to room attendant

-invest in zoom and download WhatsApp for easy free texting- worked great

-don’t overpack clothes- we lived in swimsuits, coverups, T-shirts

-pack extra sunscreen- Caribbean sun is indeed strong

-pack ziplock baggies and plastic shower caps- super helpful for bringing snacks from windjammer back to the room (cookies, nuts, granola, fruit) or covering a plate of food to take to-go.

-bring watch or portable alarm clock- cellphone and iPad didn’t usually sync with ship time

Didn’t prove true for us-

-bring (non-surge protected) power strip: our cabin had plenty of electronical outlets without one

-I was expecting the poolside ice cream machine and freestyle soda machines to always be broken based on reports on these boards but they were always in working order on our trip

-pizza- Sorrentos gets a bad rap. It’s not great but it hits the spot when you need a quick snack on an off hour.

One note that never proved good for us - Someone advised a long time ago to roll your clothes to get more suitcase room. Yeah, you do - but bad results, everything gets wrinkled!

One note that never proved good for us - Someone advised a long time ago to roll your clothes to get more suitcase room. Yeah, you do - but bad results, everything gets wrinkled!

Totally agree - I have never understood the "rolling" thing. I honestly don't think it saves a bit of space in the bags and it does get wrinkled. I pack normal and never have trouble with wrinkles and such - don't use cubes or anything. just pack. Works for me

Totally agree - I have never understood the "rolling" thing. I honestly don't think it saves a bit of space in the bags and it does get wrinkled. I pack normal and never have trouble with wrinkles and such - don't use cubes or anything. just pack. Works for me

Glad I'm not the only one. I tried the rolling thing once and ended up with a mess of wrinkled clothes. I just fold carefully, put dress shirts & pants in dry cleaning covers (one or two covers for shirts, one for pants) and I'm good to go.

Never have we rolled...we did do the vacuum bags once tho...you can pack the heck out of a suitcase doing that. We did it when the 5 of us went skiing, but never on a cruise.

But the best invention has to be Downy Wrinkle Release....that stuff is great and we never travel without it. 1st day, unpack and spray with Downy...good to go!!

Never have we rolled...we did do the vacuum bags once tho...you can pack the heck out of a suitcase doing that. We did it when the 5 of us went skiing, but never on a cruise.

But the best invention has to be Downy Wrinkle Release....that stuff is great and we never travel without it. 1st day, unpack and spray with Downy...good to go!!

how's that stuff for facials ?

I fold the clothes as I’m ironing them and stack them neatly, with the stacks being tightly packed into each case. I guess it’s kind of like a packing cube without the actual cube. Then unpack ASAP on board, hanging as much as possible.

Always use Downy Wrinkle Release, works great, spray it on my husband's silk shirts as soon as I hang them up in the cabin closet.

That's how I pack, too. I JUST PACK.

I fold the clothes as I’m ironing them and stack them neatly, with the stacks being tightly packed into each case. I guess it’s kind of like a packing cube without the actual cube. Then unpack ASAP on board, hanging as much as possible.

What is this "ironing" you speak of? :eek: ;) :halo:

Funny, cross packing seems so logical to me. Can’t understand why anyone would NOT do it. I also fold carefully and put everything in dry cleaning bags, very little wrinkling. Can’t stand living out of a suitcase & unpack immediately.

Funny, cross packing seems so logical to me. Can’t understand why anyone would NOT do it. I also fold carefully and put everything in dry cleaning bags, very little wrinkling. Can’t stand living out of a suitcase & unpack immediately.
We always crosspack and we don't even fly to the port

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app