I called Princess with questions. They’re confused.

DeRon

I just got off the phone with Princess with questions. Man. She knew nothing. She just kept reading long paragraphs to me info off the website. Ha! (She was nice though.). Anyway, I think people on here have more answers than the cruise line themselves.

My questions. Let me know if you have the answers for Regal:

1. I asked about the Medallion status on a Regal. She could not explain when, where, or even what it is. Anyone know? What does it do and how do you get it?

2. I asked if I can sign up for Sanctuary and Retreat cabanas prior to sailing, or do we have to wait until we get on the ship. If we have to wait until on the ship, where do you go to do so?

3. When I was booking online, it asked me if my cruise was before or after April 2009 for the correct deck plan. I asked what was happening in April 2009 to the deck plans? She had no idea. Anyone here know?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. As far as the Ocean mediallion, they don’t know when it will be fully rolled out on the Regal. There are currently a tad over 100 cabins that are ***** ready and if you are in one of the those cabins, then you will be given the small round ocean mediallion. There are many threads and information on the board if you do a search.

Not much has changed with it on the Regal since I was on in December 2017 and had a cabin that had the *****.

2. You can not sign up for the Sanctuary or Retreat Cabanas until you board. If you want either, you need to get up to the Sanctuary asap.

3. Deck plans changed as they reclassify cabins.

1. I asked about the Medallion status on a Regal. She could not explain when, where, or even what it is. Anyone know? What does it do and how do you get it?

If your cabin is part of the Medallion "preview" (Princess' term for the fact that after all this time every cabin on Regal [which was supposed to be the first ship completed] is still not yet online with the program) you would have been notified by now. Or may be notified sometime before sailing that your medallion will be mailed to you. No way for the phone rep to know which cabins are which.

2. I asked if I can sign up for Sanctuary and Retreat cabanas prior to sailing, or do we have to wait until we get on the ship. If we have to wait until on the ship, where do you go to do so?

Cannot be reserved in advance as you must select your specific lounger (Sanctuary) or cabana (Retreat) from what is available on the day(s) you wish to book for. For the Sanctuary, head directly there as soon as you board. For the Retreat Pool Cabanas, my understanding is that you inquire at the Retreat Pool bar, though there have been scattered reports that the Sanctuary handles them as well (I would regard those as incorrect).

3. When I was booking online, it asked me if my cruise was before or after April 2009 for the correct deck plan. I asked what was happening in April 2009 to the deck plans? She had no idea. Anyone here know?

Cabin reclassifications. Happens annually on almost every Princess ship. Usually based on the continuously changing judgement (by Princess) as to how obstructed the Emerald deck cabins in each category actually are. That is all, nothing to be concerned about.

My answers above in red.

Honestly you shouldn't be expecting anything more than regurgitation of prepared text from the outsourced employees that cover the phones on weekends. If you want an informed answer call during weekday business hours (Pacific time) or better yet, just ask us on here.

Edited by fishywood

I have read on other threads they use “at home workers” on the weekends. Obviously no first hand knowledge. When I have called on weekends sometimes I hear “home and family” sounds in the background. Mike

I don't know about Princess but many businesses for weekend phone coverage use a company that hires parolees/probationers confined to their homes on house arrest. Including banks and credit card issuers.

My answers above in red.

Honestly you shouldn't be expecting anything more than regurgitation of prepared text from the outsourced employees that cover the phones on weekends. If you want an informed answer call during weekday business hours (Pacific time) or better yet, just ask us on here.

Good info.

I would add on the before after date, they are also reclassifying some MA mini suites to M1 for Club Class. They may also be changing some of the food venues.

I have read on other threads they use “at home workers” on the weekends. Obviously no first hand knowledge. When I have called on weekends sometimes I hear “home and family” sounds in the background. Mike

I believe most of the Princess booking reps work at home. I have asked all the time as to what part of the country they are in.

They have home employees all week, not just weekends. They also have those who work in call centers. Weekend employees are generally less experienced.

Many employees have not cruised or cruised as much as people on this board. They have general info they can provide.

Princess does let some of their "long time" employees work from home.

Know an employee who is now retired.

They ought to either train people on how Princess works or furnish books with answers to questions otherwise why answer the phone?

I actually just got off the phone with the Mother Ship a few minutes ago, discussing an EZAir question. The kid who answered was tremendous, friendly and tried very hard to be helpful, answering the vast majority of my questions, though he was a bit fuzzy on possible recent changes to Delta's seat selection policies. He also freely admitted that he had only been working for Princess since January. Personally, I was more than happy to cut him some slack....

They ought to either train people on how Princess works or furnish books with answers to questions otherwise why answer the phone?
They actually do a pretty good job of training but there are so many different questions by passengers from all over about so many different things that they don’t know or may not remember all the differences.

Every ship is different and even onboard, the only thing that’s consistent is the inconsistency. Some differences are major, some minor. Without a ton of experience, they have only set answers to go by.

Heck, many TAs don’t know the differences between Princess ships and we often see someone post incorrect information given to them by their TA.

They actually do a pretty good job of training but there are so many different questions by passengers from all over about so many different things that they don’t know or may not remember all the differences.

Every ship is different and even onboard, the only thing that’s consistent is the inconsistency. Some differences are major, some minor. Without a ton of experience, they have only set answers to go by.

Heck, many TAs don’t know the differences between Princess ships and we often see someone post incorrect information given to them by their TA.

Amen Pam,

I have asked some very tough questions that the Princess agent working from home spent several minutes on another line finding an answer to. There are also areas they have no expertise in such as recovering out of date unused gift cards. (Cards over a few year old that are unused after being applied to a cruise we had to cancel have a different method for replacing.) There is a separate department for this. However, the agent got me all the information I needed to take care of the problem I had.

I find you need to be real precise with a question so they can search their database. As we most all know, the search engine on line for princess is not that great. Sometimes it is easier to use google to get to the right online Princess document.

Hi Pam,

With this answer you just gave us you should be offered a high position at Princess Cruises..:):):)

Your friend from Boston,

Tony

With this answer you just gave us you should be offered a high position at Princess Cruises..:):):)

Ugh. Sounds like work. I’ve been on permanent vacation for quite a few years and avoid the “w” 4-letter word as much as possible. Even Princess.

Some day, we’ll meet on a cruise. :)

They were born confused.

Seriously, many cruise lines employ people on their phones who have never cruised or even set foot on a ship!

I have cruised on several different Princess ships, and yet I get corrected on these boards because the various ships do things differently or things have changed since my cruise of months ago or whatever. I don't see how Princess can have a well educated phone bank other than "what the computer says" due to these differences.

Ugh. Sounds like work. I’ve been on permanent vacation for quite a few years and avoid the “w” 4-letter word as much as possible. Even Princess.

Some day, we’ll meet on a cruise. :)

I hope so Pam. The :wine-glass::tropical-drink::whiskey-glass: will be on me. :)

Tony

It would be nice if Princess would list the cabin changes for their reps to know.

Actually, it would nicer if when it asks whether you are sailing before or after a certain date, it would just add as appropriate:

o some cabins are having reclassification

o modifications are being made during a dry dock

One clue as to if it is just cabin reclassifications is the date of the change. If it is when a ship is being relocated (i.e., USA to Europe) for the season, it is likely just cabin classification changes.

I want to know more than the fact that some cabins are being reclassified. I'd like to know which cabins are being changed. Are they adding more Club Class minis? Are they classifying a cabin higher than it was previously or lower?

I want to know more than the fact that some cabins are being reclassified. I'd like to know which cabins are being changed. Are they adding more Club Class minis? Are they classifying a cabin higher than it was previously or lower?

well, then Herb - you've got some homework to do , huh ? review each cabin on every deck prior, and then after...at least that's a start to potential changes

maybe do mock bookings when you notice a change for before and after...:D

Honestly, I've sailed a lot of cruise lines and have learned not to depend on the phone operators to give me correct info from any of the lines, so this isn't just a Princess issue. If I need help, I'll email if possible so at least I have a record of their mistakes. The people on cruise critic are very helpful, and if you keep going politely to the staff on a cruise someone will usually help you if you are having a problem.

The problem is that what is written in the "books" which are now on computer screens are not up to date or accurate on any cruise line I've experienced. SOME phone operators cruise regularly, while others have never cruised. More problems occur when they go "off script" and tell you what they think they know--which is often wrong.

As noted, it isn't just a Princess problem, although I seem to have gotten more wrong info on Princess than on other lines. On one other line, I tend to get "I don't know but I'll find out." To be fair, I've had many great contacts with Princess phone reps as well as the ones that I just knew were wrong. My TA seems to have a different number to more accurate info.