Your Thoughts on Cruise Ship Captain's Salary

HUNKY

Doing some web research I have found that cruise ship captains most likely earn between 150 to 200K USD per year. That seems awfully low for someone in charge of a ship costing over a billion dollars and having thousands of "souls" onboard.

Are they also paid bonuses dependent on how profitable, or not, a particular voyage is?

I don't think that is awfully low. Consider that they usually work 3 months, off three months, work three months and off three months (this doesn't include the world cruise captain). So they are only working 6 months of the year compared to many of us who got (or get 3 - 4 weeks off a year).

Don't know if they get bonuses. Our first jobs we didn't get bonuses. Second jobs did.

If you think 150-200k is low, please consider the pay of a USN Captain who might be the commanding officer of an air craft carrier that costs MANY billions of dollars, has 6000+ sailors, no time off and possibly be in a war zone. If the captain has 20 years service the base pay is about $125k.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think that is awfully low. Consider that they usually work 3 months, off three months, work three months and off three months (this doesn't include the world cruise captain). So they are only working 6 months of the year compared to many of us who got (or get 3 - 4 weeks off a year).

Don't know if they get bonuses. Our first jobs we didn't get bonuses. Second jobs did.

That's the same argument people use to justify the low pay of teachers. It doesn't acknowledge that captains and teachers work far many more hours during the periods they are "working" than most people realize, which is something many professionals do, of course. I know many teachers who work without pay to keep their certifications active and updated during their "summers" and I'd bet many captains do the same during their "off" months too.

My only thought is that they have made a decision to do this type work. If a higher income is their priority then they could pursue other options. In the case of Mariners, the most lucrative job is probably being a harbor pilot in a place like NYC or San Francisco.

We are more curious as to why so many cruisers seem concerned about the income of employees on cruise ships :). Everyone working on a ship has made their own decision to seek those jobs. It is not our responsibility to question their decisions or think that is our obligation to increase their level of compensation. I wonder how many of these same folks are concerned about the salary of their tour bus driver :)

But if you want a shocker you might consider that some of those "Longshoreman" that you tip to take your luggage in US Ports...are making as much or more then the Captain of your cruise ship!

Hank

Never was curious about this' date=' none of my business.[/quote']

Never gave it any thought. I'm also not interested in how much airline pilots get paid. ¯\_()_/¯

(y)(y)(y) My sentiments exactly. However, if OP will tell us what she/he does for a living and how much she/e is compensated, I would be happy to weigh in on that discussion.

My only thought is that they have made a decision to do this type work. If a higher income is their priority then they could pursue other options. In the case of Mariners, the most lucrative job is probably being a harbor pilot in a place like NYC or San Francisco.

We are more curious as to why so many cruisers seem concerned about the income of employees on cruise ships :). Everyone working on a ship has made their own decision to seek those jobs. It is not our responsibility to question their decisions or think that is our obligation to increase their level of compensation. I wonder how many of these same folks are concerned about the salary of their tour bus driver :)

But if you want a shocker you might consider that some of those "Longshoreman" that you tip to take your luggage in US Ports...are making as much or more then the Captain of your cruise ship!

Hank

(y)(y)(y) Well said!

No Captain ever asked my DH how much he earned (that i know of) It is none of my business wht gthedy earn ND i really don't wan t to know. Why the fascination on these forums, waht do gtewards earn / Wht does c aptain earn ? What does your rtash collector earn?

NOT my concern or businesss.

Why

Looking only at the stated "salary" is just part of the full compensation package.

One needs to also include benefits like health care and retirement, as well as cruise travel perks for family members, costs of room and board provided, proffessional development, uniforms, travel costs to assignment locations, and onboard expense accounts. Many of which are tax-free.

What are the total costs to the cruise line for each position is the better way to evaluate the actual employee compensation package.

How much pay is enough for someone responsble for the lives an safety of thousands of souls, week, afgter week, afger week? Havaing to command staff and crfew of thousnads/ Being responsbile for multi billion dollrf shps? How many nights are wswe asleep and ccaptan is on ghe brigee? sURE, HEA THOUGHT H e would sleep, but he is never ' off duty' when on the ship. A cfrew peson gegts hurt, wshwo is immediagely notified. extend the lisgtgof possibilities.. HOW MUCH is enugh salary ?

Sure there are b ridge officers but there is ONE Captain.

Waht rime does his morning sttart and his night s top?? EVERY day for monhs

Edited by sail7seas

We are more curious as to why so many cruisers seem concerned about the income of employees on cruise ships :).

Well, if curiousity leads to such interesting facts, these are worthwhile threads IMHO.

Why would cruisers concern themselves with salaries on a ship? Of course nobody asks about the income of a police officer on a cruise forum, they'd go elsewhere. So it might seem that people are more interested in salaries on a ship than any other job where in reality people just wonder what money you can make when doing X and simply ask in the right place.

The real money makers apparently are the port pilots - a very tightly controlled organization, and from what I heard, about $400K a year packages. Jumping from pilot boat to ship on the high seas is not for the faint of heart. But it remains debatable in these days now of electronic navigation and instant communications how valid these onboard positions wiil remain.

Being aware of personnel costs is very much everyone's business since passengers are the sole source of cruise ship revenues. This can be general, and not specific. But just as much a part of the conversation as fuel costs and port fees.

Rising personnel costs are one of the largest cruise line expenses, particularly when competition for labor in the global economies increases. Instead of blaming ships for "nickel-diming, under-staffing, cutting back on maintenance or quality of offerings, etc, etc", a sober understanding of cruise line personnel costs needs to be added to this conversational mix.

Really, in the whole scheme of things what do you think the impact to our fare if the captain's salary was increased by $100K a year? Do you think that this would impact our fare or that knowing it would enter into our decision making process?

Besides, why discuss crew salary levels on this forum when we have zero impact over them and indeed they are not in our purview. Do you feel the same way about airline salaries-pilot, flight crew, ground crew, mtce, reservations,marketing???

We have no interest in costs. We are only interested in the net fare that we pay. Does not matter to us who is paid what.

Besides,given all the cuts I have no doubt that there is money in the expense pot to pay senior staff salaries at a competitive level.

Not interested in what the Captain's salary is, the airline pilot's, or indeed the neighbor next door. We are strictly MYOB.

Edited by iancal

Being aware of personnel costs is very much everyone's business since passengers are the sole source of cruise ship revenues. This can be general, and not specific. But just as much a part of the conversation as fuel costs and port fees.

Rising personnel costs are one of the largest cruise line expenses, particularly when competition for labor in the global economies increases. Instead of blaming ships for "nickel-diming, under-staffing, cutting back on maintenance or quality of offerings, etc, etc", a sober understanding of cruise line personnel costs needs to be added to this conversational mix.

Your logic escapes me :). So lets take it at face value. By your reckoning, when you go into any restaurant (anywhere in the world) you should be made aware of the salaries of the waiters, maitre'd, and other staff...since the customer is their sole source of revenue? And when you go on an airliner you should also be made aware of the salaries of the flight attendants, pilots, etc? Speaking of restaurants if we go to an "understaffed" restaurant or they decide to nickel and dime us by charging for ice cubes, pats of butter, etc. we simply do not ever return to that restaurant. We do not try to become social workers and inquire as to why they are charging us for ice cubes, how much they pay their staff, etc.

How about when you go to a hotel, Should you be interested in the wages of the desk clerk, chamber maid, bell hops,etc. or...do you need a "sober understanding" of the the hotel personnel costs.

How about when you take your car to a mechanic. Should you have a "sober understanding" of the mechanics wages, insurance benefits, what he/she eats for lunch, etc?

A cruise ship is simply part of a large corporation and their employees/contractors choose to work for that company who chooses to employ them. Issues related to their income are their business...not our business. Am also wondering when you go to your physician do you ask him/her about their income? How about their office staff? Do you tip your physician or agree to "auto tips" for him/her?

Just fruit for thought.

Hank