Your Thoughts on Cruise Ship Captain's Salary

HUNKY

Well, this may be thread drift, maybe not – since we’ve “opened the door” (as the attorneys say) on the subject of harbor pilots. Perhaps Cheng and/or Copper John can explain something that I’ve never understood about harbor pilot procedures:

Why do they still always use the Jacob’s ladder on cruise ships? Yes, I get why they do it on cargo/tanker/container ships. I’ve seen a few Coast Guard medical evacuations on our ships in US waters. They transfer the patient on a litter to the CG vessel through the tender break via the tender platform. It always looks so easy! For a long time I’ve wondered why the harbor pilots don’t minimize their risk when such a safe avenue is theoretically available to them. Sorry for the thread drift.

Believe it or not, it has to do with safety. You are dealing with a small boat moving alongside the larger ship, and the small boat moves more relative to the large ship. Anything more substantial than a rope and plastic Jacob's ladder would likely get crushed between the boat and ship. And in crushing the climbing arrangement, you would either crush or trap the pilot as well. The rope ladder can be brushed sideways by the boat and not damaged, and the pilot, being "outside" any contraption is free to fall off the ladder, either onto the pilot boat or into the sea, rather than get crushed between the boat and ship. On merchant ships with tall sides like container ships and empty tankers, usually the pilot uses a combination of a Jacob's ladder for the initial transfer from boat to ship, and then a few feet up the ship's accommodation ladder (a metal stair lowered down the side of the ship) is positioned so he can walk up this rather than climb 20 meters up a rope ladder. Some tankers also use a pilot "elevator" where a platform is lowered along the ship's side and the pilot stands on it and it is raised to deck. But even with this, the initial transfer is by rope ladder. The two vessels are also moving, as it is easier to keep two vessels together when moving than when stopped, and the motion between the two is lessened.

The climb onto a cruise ship is a relatively short climb for pilots, so the ship uses just the Jacob's ladder.

A cruise ship will only open a tender port (which by definition is within a couple of feet of the waterline) in very calm waters, as any significant sea can cause down flooding into the ship. For medical transfers, the Captain can maneuver the ship broadside to the seas, to provide a "lee" or calm side on the downwind side, but this will cause rolling of the ship, with risk of immersing the tender platform in the sea, and also downflooding, and also damage to the small boat from this massive steel platform coming down and crushing it. These transfers are also done while stopped.

• Like 1

Thank you, Cheng and Copper John! You both are such TREASURES! Always willing to take time to educate us on matters relating to all aspects of ships' operations -- no matter what we ask!

And your answers to my question about harbor pilot procedures make perfect sense. Thanks again.

Not quite sure why the initial post has caused such condemnation. I found it to be an interesting fact. There are not that many six-figure professions in the world.

HR managers, medical service managers, IT managers, medical technicians, actuaries, oil field engineers, real estate brokers, and even some construction trades like plumbers are listed as being 6 figure incomes in the US, along with the usual airline pilots, doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, nurse practicioners, physician assistant, etc.

I've never given any thought to the amount of money a captain earns; my only hope is that it is enough that he or she is going to want to take good care of the ship and get me to and from my determined ports safely.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Wait a minute- I rode that crosstown bus last week but didn’t think to ask the driver about his wages. Wonder if he earns more than the driver of the M15 down Second Avenue, which seems easier to navigate.

The Holland America board has many posters who really enjoy delving into subjects above their pay grade. But it is harmless diversion, often entertaining reading.

Speculate away.

That one way avenue is a slam dunk compared to the obstacle course of 42nd street (which probably should rate hazardous duty pay).

Not quite sure why the initial post has caused such condemnation. I found it to be an interesting fact. There are not that many six-figure professions in the world.

Might vary by where in the world you live,but I know of lots of jos that make six figure incomes

Teachers

Doctors

Lawyers

Accountants

Train drivers

Mine workers

Many in sales

I.T.

Many in the building trades.

To be frank I thought those figures in the OP were a bit low.

HR managers, medical service managers, IT managers, medical technicians, actuaries, oil field engineers, real estate brokers, and even some construction trades like plumbers are listed as being 6 figure incomes in the US, along with the usual airline pilots, doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, nurse practicioners, physician assistant, etc.

American longshoremen..................;p

Doing some web research I have found that cruise ship captains most likely earn between 150 to 200K USD per year. That seems awfully low for someone in charge of a ship costing over a billion dollars and having thousands of "souls" onboard.

Are they also paid bonuses dependent on how profitable, or not, a particular voyage is?

Why don't you tell us what you do and how much you make? We can all give our opinions on that.

Let's not forget those longshoreman porters, taking your luggage and putting it on a cart, and their 6 figure incomes and outstretched hands for tips.

I'm trying to figure out why many here find it necessary to post if they don't care? Seems they have issue with those that are simply curious. I am a curious person by nature... and not just about salaries, but I do wonder that about just about everybody I cross paths with or hear about. It is a trait like eye color, car brand or breakfast choice. Do some feel compelled to raise themselves above such peasant drivel???

I'm trying to figure out why many here find it necessary to post if they don't care? Seems they have issue with those that are simply curious. I am a curious person by nature... and not just about salaries' date=' but I do wonder that about just about everybody I cross paths with or hear about. It is a trait like eye color, car brand or breakfast choice. Do some feel compelled to raise themselves above such peasant drivel???[/quote']

I am going to take a wild guess that you live in North America. In the USA/Canada there are many folks who will talk (or ask) about jobs and some even ask about compensation. But in most of the world this kind of talk is considered quite rude and inappropriate.

Hank

Interesting thread. I learned a lot about the work of various kinds of ships’ captains. I, too, am a curious person and find salary comps fascinating. They always provoke questions about the marketplace, what an industry (or country or government) values in terms of workplace skills, etc. Plus, as someone who sets salaries for others, it is just interesting. Does that make me a busybody? I guess so! Also human.

I am in a profession where my salary has been on the front page of the paper, too. It is always interesting. When trolls remarked it was “too much” I would invite them to follow me around for a day. No one ever took me up on the offer.

I am considering a retirement job in the cruise industry. So I am absolutely interested in the threads about crew compensation!

Thanks, all for your questions and info. And, MYOBers, just say no to the thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You’d be apallled! A regional jet pilot can make around $18k.

Very true.

On the other hand, A Captain on Widebody Aircraft earns at least around the quoted number if we talk about after tax figures.

However, you do NOT become a Captain for the money, nor for the “prestige”, these things are long gone, but because it is a Calling, a passion, a talent to be able to manage your vessel or aircraft, crew, passengers and cargo in the Safest and if possible the most economic way, in any circumstance.

We are NOT payed for the daily “routine” operation, but for the moment when your actions will decide wether hundreds of people will live or die. We are payed for the years of training, studying, checking that go with the position, along with the time away from home and connected personal sacrifices we have to make.

A modern Widebody, like the B747-8 costs around 500 Million $, a modern cruise ship even more by the way. The Master ( the Captain onboard ship who holds command)/ Commander ( the Captain onboard aircraft who holds Command) has sole responsability.

Ps. In the maritime World, there are many positions that are better payed than Cruise Ship Captain...

PPS, some onboard have far “tougher daily jobs” and are far more “underpayed”, and deserve equal respect.

The last post about a "calling" reminded us of a discussion we had with Captain Halle Gundersen (recently retired from the Prinsendam) who was one of HAL's most popular Captains. Captain Halle told us that as a young man he knew his life would be at sea and he also figured to have only two choices, stay in the Norwegian Navy and perhaps rise to be an Admiral. But this meant he would spend his life chasing Russian submarines. or.....Become a cruise ship Captain. He said it was an easy decision :).

Hank

• Haha 1

I would love to have the experience of commanding a cruise ship, even if it meant taking a salary cut. ;p

Once, as part of an Annual Meeting of the Steamship Historical Society of America held at a Maritime Academy near Baltimore, Maryland, I was part of a group that visited the Simulator Room of the Academy where officers are taught and practice controlling their ship in different world-wide ports.

On the simulator, I was given the opportunity of bringing my ship "into dock" in the Port of New York as the weather changed from a nice, sunny day to a thunderstorm with wind. After meandering in the Upper Bay and Hudson River, barely missing a ferry or two, and crashing into two docks causing a massive inferno--never getting close to the dock where I was supposed to be--and with alarm bells ringing, the instructor said: "You flunked! (I don't think I sunk my ship, though.)

That experience made me appreciate the job that the Officers on the Bridge do even more.

They earn their money!!!!