Your Thoughts on Cruise Ship Captain's Salary

HUNKY

I've never given any thought to the amount of money a captain earns; my only hope is that it is enough that he or she is going to want to take good care of the ship and get me to and from my determined ports safely.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree. My main concern is that there training be top notch so we can come and go secure in the knowledge that the captain can keep us out of harm's way.

As a teacher, I’d like to know where are these six-figure teaching jobs!

Since you asked and we are still comparing compensation packages to cruise ship captains, California - some of the top paid teachers in the US - cost taxpayers over $100K when all the benefits are included for the 180 day year - and you don't even have to teach - our students overall constantly rank #45 in student outcomes. Which is not to say there are excellent teachers in the system; but the system has become dysfunctional and all too often works against them. Teaching in California is a well-paid public crisis.

Doing some web research I have found that cruise ship captains most likely earn between 150 to 200K USD per year. That seems awfully low for someone in charge of a ship costing over a billion dollars and having thousands of "souls" onboard.

Are they also paid bonuses dependent on how profitable, or not, a particular voyage is?

Do you also concern yourself about the salaries of airline pilots? Taxi drivers? Hotel reception personnel?

You’d be apallled! A regional jet pilot can make around $18k.

I’ve been in the airline industry for about 23 years now. And while its true that back in the day, entry level regional pilots used to make that measly amount, things have changed in the industry.

Accidents like the Colgan Air crash shed light, not so much on regional pilot salaries, but more on rest rules work habits, and experience. This has resulted in new rest rules, and more stringent experience requirements which also limited the number of qualified candidates while creating a demand for more pilots.

As a result, salaries have increased. It’s now more common to see regional pilots making closer to $40K during their first year. While far from providing a lavish lifestyle, it’s not nearly as bad as it used to be, specially considering that most pilots at this stage in their career are in their early to mid 20’s and single.

And because of the unprecedented demand for pilots, also fueled by record setting retirements, most of them don’t remain at this level for long, with many of them moving up to the majors and making well over $100K after their 2nd year while still in their 20’s, something that a decade ago post 9/11 seemed impossible.

I work for a major airline and we now have Captains in their early 30’s making well over $250K. In comparison, there aren’t many careers out there where one can make this amount of money at that age.

But with all of that said, most pilots will agree that they do what they do because, money aside, they love what they do and are passionate about it. I believe that they same can be said for anybody in the transportation industry whether by air, land or sea, and that’s what we should all be more concerned about, not about how much money they make.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you also concern yourself about the salaries of airline pilots? Taxi drivers? Hotel reception personnel?

Does curiosity=concern? If so, yeah, so what? Apparently in the eyes of you and some here this inquisitive nature is judged as somehow inappropriate? Curiosity in my mind is a virtue and those concerning themselves with it or other harmless personality traits may do well to get their nose out of the air and thus be able to observe more of the world under them.

So if the boss of the ship is getting $150-200k, my guess is that those actually "driving" the ship are way down the ladder. I've heard the CD is the 2nd highest paid and the maitre' de 3rd.

Does curiosity=concern? If so' date=' yeah, so what? Apparently in the eyes of you and some here this inquisitive nature is judged as somehow inappropriate? Curiosity in my mind is a virtue and those concerning themselves with it or other harmless personality traits may do well to get their nose out of the air and thus be able to observe more of the world under them.

So if the boss of the ship is getting $150-200k, my guess is that those actually "driving" the ship are way down the ladder. I've heard the CD is the 2nd highest paid and the maitre' de 3rd.[/quote']

And you would be very wrong :(. The CD is actually a relatively low position (on the pecking scale) and has even become less of a position as many lines now use full-time "Entertainment Directors" to handle the entertainment options. On many lines the CD is now the "mouthpiece of the ship" and an activities director. So if you want to talk about salaries you need to look at Senior positions. The Captain, Chief Engineer, Hotel Manager/Director and perhaps the Staff Captain (some smaller ships do not have a Staff Captain) are generally the highest paid on a vessel. The reality is that for passengers the most important person on a cruise ship is the Hotel Manager since he/she is responsible for everything that relates to the passengers in terms of food, drink, cabin services, etc. The Marine Department is also very important because they look after the safety and maintenance of the vessel. But what does the CD do? Schedules ping pong games, has input into the entertainment scheduling, and is the person that annoys everyone with too many PA announcements.

Here is another shocker about CDs. We have a friend who used to be one of the best CD's on HAL. He eventually left that position to become a Future Cruise Counselor (the person who you see to book future cruises....while onboard) which he viewed as a nice promotion!

Hank

As Hank says, one way to determine how much a person is paid onthe ship is by how many "stripes" they have. And while manypositions like CD do not wear uniforms, they have "assimilated" rankto determine their level of perks onboard. Typical ranks are as follows(varies by line):

Captain: 4.5 stripes (unique to cruise ships)

Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Hotel Director: 4 stripes

Staff Chief Engineer, F&B Director, Chief ElectricalEngineer: 3.5 stripes (rank is also unique to cruise ships)

Executive Housekeeper, Restaurant Manager, Chief Officer, FirstEngineer, Cruise Director, Bar Manager, Safety Officer, SecurityOfficer, Environmental Officer, Doctor, Executive Chef, maybe a couple moreI've forgotten: 3 stripes

A Maitre 'd is typically in the 2.5 to 2 stripe position (thoughsome lines call the Restaurant Manager the Maitre 'd.

Here is another shocker about CDs. We have a friend who used to be one of the best CD's on HAL. He eventually left that position to become a Future Cruise Counselor (the person who you see to book future cruises....while onboard) which he viewed as a nice promotion!

And I've absolutely no doubt that you are correct. I am one of those who is frequently annoyed by the CD. However, it's a hard job in that they seem to be constantly working at doing something.

However, the FCC has to be the easiest job on the ship -- at least with regards to time put in on the job. They DEFINITELY work fewer than 8 hours a day. The FCC desk seems to be vacant more than it is occupied, even on sea days. I suppose that when they're not at the desk they're just enjoying the cruise. <--I might be wrong but, if so, would appreciate Copper John's input.

However, the FCC has to be the easiest job on the ship -- at least with regards to time put in on the job. They DEFINITELY work fewer than 8 hours a day. The FCC desk seems to be vacant more than it is occupied, even on sea days. I suppose that when they're not at the desk they're just enjoying the cruise. <--I might be wrong but, if so, would appreciate Copper John's input.

On one of the days they’re not at their desk they are in the Neptune Lounge working with the Suite passengers.

And I've absolutely no doubt that you are correct. I am one of those who is frequently annoyed by the CD. However, it's a hard job in that they seem to be constantly working at doing something. However, the FCC has to be the easiest job on the ship -- at least with regards to time put in on the job. They DEFINITELY work fewer than 8 hours a day. The FCC desk seems to be vacant more than it is occupied, even on sea days. I suppose that when they're not at the desk they're just enjoying the cruise. <--I might be wrong but, if so, would appreciate Copper John's input.

You are correct in that the FCC is usually only visible when he/she/they are at their assigned desk in one of the public areas (in between the Explorations Cafe and Explorers Lounge on the "S" and "R" class vessels, across from Guest Services and Shorex on the larger ships). Once a "deal" is made in a face-to-face meeting with the guest, the FCC(s) have to conduct follow-up on the reservation so he/she/they do work additional hours when not out in the public. They also do a lot of "hosting" of dinner tables although some would not call that "working" ;)
  • Like 1

On one of the days they’re not at their desk they are in the Neptune Lounge working with the Suite passengers.

While I have definitely seen them in Neptune Lounge, there have been times they have not come to Neptune for the whole cruise despite request from guests.

As Hank says, one way to determine how much a person is paid onthe ship is by how many "stripes" they have. And while manypositions like CD do not wear uniforms, they have "assimilated" rankto determine their level of perks onboard. Typical ranks are as follows(varies by line):

Staff Chief Engineer, F&B Director, Chief ElectricalEngineer: 3.5 stripes (rank is also unique to cruise ships)

Executive Housekeeper, Restaurant Manager, Chief Officer, FirstEngineer, Cruise Director, Bar Manager, Safety Officer, SecurityOfficer, Environmental Officer, Doctor, Executive Chef, maybe a couple moreI've forgotten: 3 stripes

A Maitre 'd is typically in the 2.5 to 2 stripe position (thoughsome lines call the Restaurant Manager the Maitre 'd.

HAL's ranking structure is slightly different:

Captain/Master - 4.5 gold bars one of which is looped (Nelson loop)

Staff Captain; Chief Engineer; Hotel Director - 4 gold bars

Environmental Officer; First (Deck) Officer; Staff Chief Engineer; Ship's Physician; Guest Relations Manager; Food and Beverage Director (the former COM); Entertainment Director - 3 gold bars

There is an entire group with two gold bars

HAL used to have Chief officer, then Staff Officer, Now .. Chief Officer again ?

Is it now Head Housekeeper, OR Chief Housekeeper? :)

Thanks if you can and /or will answer

Edited by sail7seas

HAL used to have Chief officer, then Staff Officer, Now .. Chief Officer again ?

Is it now Head Housekeeper, OR Chief Housekeeper? :)

Thanks if you can and /or will answer

?

The head of the Nautical (or Deck) Dept. used to be called the Chief Officer, you are correct S7S. That position received a change of name to Staff Captain a number of years ago and is still known by that name. It was really never known as "Staff Officer"

The man/woman in charge of the Housekeeping Dept. is currently know as the Executive Housekeeper

Hotel Manager was changed to Hotel Director

Maitre 'd was changed to Dining Room Manager

The Environmental Officer position was changed to Safety Environmental and Health Officer some time ago, but is now back to Environmental Officer

Do we know of any lines besides Crystal where the CD does generally wear a uniform?

Roy

Thanks, Copper. That helps me out

HAL Pursers, with (notable exception of Peter Purser) How many stripes ? I believe he has (had) a longevity half stripe?

Edited by sail7seas

The head of the Nautical (or Deck) Dept. used to be called the Chief Officer, you are correct S7S. That position received a change of name to Staff Captain a number of years ago and is still known by that name. It was really never known as "Staff Officer"

The man/woman in charge of the Housekeeping Dept. is currently know as the Executive Housekeeper

Hotel Manager was changed to Hotel Director

Maitre 'd was changed to Dining Room Manager

The Environmental Officer position was changed to Safety Environmental and Health Officer some time ago, but is now back to Environmental Officer

NCL has a Staff Captain, a Chief Officer, a First Officer (senior officer of watch), two Second Officers (senior officer of watch), and three Third Officers (junior officer of watch). The Staff Captain oversees the entire Deck Department, which includes the Security, Medical, Environmental, Safety, and Deck departments. The Chief Officer oversees the deck department (the AB's, and OS's, Bosun and mates who do deck maintenance and watchkeeping AB's and OS's when working off watch).

NCL has a Dining Room manager who oversees all dining venues and wait staff. Each dining venue has a Maitre 'd.

As I said, it the titles vary a little between cruise lines, but the relative ranks are all about the same.

Yeah, when I went to NCL, it was the first time I've ever seen the 3.5 stripe officer, just another way to create a step in the pecking order.

Cruise ship Captains have 4.5 stripes because the Staff Captain is also a fully qualified Captain, entitled to 4 stripes.

Yes, then there are the swarm of 2.5, 2, 1.5, and 1 stripe officers and supervisors.

And many promotions, or voluntary changes in position, like from CD to FCC, do not involve more money, it may even be less, but if it entails less work, it is considered by most to be a desirable promotion. And no one said a promotion has to involve more work!

You are correct in that the FCC is usually only visible when he/she/they are at their assigned desk in one of the public areas (in between the Explorations Cafe and Explorers Lounge on the "S" and "R" class vessels, across from Guest Services and Shorex on the larger ships). Once a "deal" is made in a face-to-face meeting with the guest, the FCC(s) have to conduct follow-up on the reservation so he/she/they do work additional hours when not out in the public. They also do a lot of "hosting" of dinner tables although some would not call that "working" ;)

There are many kinds of FCC's, some of them very knowledgeable and service oriented, others pretty clueless and useless. The worst one we ever had was one woman who definitely spent more time in the Ocean Bar or the Crow's Nest than at here own desk. She even argued with me that the price she was quoting me was the best price available while I was showing her the "written" quote from my travel agent that was over $1K cheaper than hers. I can tell you that whatever HAL paid her they immediately got back at the bars. :confused:

Do we know of any lines besides Crystal where the CD does generally wear a uniform?

Roy

I have never seen a HAL CD in (officer) uniform, other then what was issued to him/her. When I joined you in January on Crystal Serenity, I was surprised to see CD Rick Spath wearing an officer uniform. On the other hand, there was a very senior HAL shore excursion manager who, after doing his own research, started wearing a uniform, complete with ranking insignia. He's been the only one as far as I know

Roy

An interesting note about uniforms that I learned at NCL. In the "good old days", officers (deck and engine officers, who were the only ones with uniforms) were given an allowance to spend entertaining guests (read, buying drinks). When the new regulations regarding crew alcohol limits came into effect, the allowance was stopped, so the officers stopped mingling with the guests (they couldn't get free drinks anymore). The guests complained that "they didn't see any officers, like on Love Boat", so they put all the Hotel Supervisors into whites and gave them stripes. There is still a vast legal difference between licensed deck and engine officers and hotel supervisors. As I told crew on my ship, if the Hotel Director tells you to do something pertaining to your everyday job, you'd better do it. However, in an emergency, if a 1.5 stripe Third Officer tells you to do something different than what the 4 stripe Hotel Director tells you to do, you'd better do what the Third Officer says, as his are legal orders.

• Like 2