Your Thoughts on Cruise Ship Captain's Salary

HUNKY

NCL has a Staff Captain, a Chief Officer, a First Officer (senior officer of watch), two Second Officers (senior officer of watch), and three Third Officers (junior officer of watch). The Staff Captain oversees the entire Deck Department, which includes the Security, Medical, Environmental, Safety, and Deck departments. The Chief Officer oversees the deck department (the AB's, and OS's, Bosun and mates who do deck maintenance and watchkeeping AB's and OS's when working off watch).

NCL has a Dining Room manager who oversees all dining venues and wait staff. Each dining venue has a Maitre 'd.

As I said, it the titles vary a little between cruise lines, but the relative ranks are all about the same.

Yeah, when I went to NCL, it was the first time I've ever seen the 3.5 stripe officer, just another way to create a step in the pecking order.

Cruise ship Captains have 4.5 stripes because the Staff Captain is also a fully qualified Captain, entitled to 4 stripes.

Yes, then there are the swarm of 2.5, 2, 1.5, and 1 stripe officers and supervisors.

And many promotions, or voluntary changes in position, like from CD to FCC, do not involve more money, it may even be less, but if it entails less work, it is considered by most to be a desirable promotion. And no one said a promotion has to involve more work!

Now just wait a minute. You mean to say there are more than just my own cabin and dining stewards that keep this thing running - 24/7/365? :cool:

Problem is when they all do their jobs so well, out of sight and often silently we as passengers can often overlook how many it takes to make us think we are on a land-based hotel instead of a million moving parts ship that is constantly moving. I am always amazed how many skills must be available 24/7 in house for any and all incidents - some routine, others not.

Thanks, Copper. That helps me out

Purser, with (notable exception of Peter Purser) How many stripes ? I believe he has (had) a longevity half stripe?

On HAL, the Purser position carries two gold bars with white filling. A half bar, except for the Captain, may be added after three years of employment. Veeeeeerry senior HAL Purser Peter Wallis (41 years!! with the company) wears two and a half bars

I have never seen a HAL CD in (officer) uniform, other then what was issued to him/her. When I joined you in January on Crystal Serenity, I was surprised to see CD Rick Spath wearing an officer uniform. On the other hand, there was a very senior HAL shore excursion manager who, after doing his own research, started wearing a uniform, complete with ranking insignia. He's been the only one as far as I know

DRAT, I rememeber him but cAnnot think of his nAme. He wrote a Titanic book, did he not? AND wore a n old Titantic sort of uniform when he gave a lecture He was a very pleasant young man tota lly into Titanic............ :)

Ooo, I hope someone knows who I men an cana think of his name. :) (Aha, i know who will be able to help me. She was a shore ex person years ago but not for long time.

On one of the days they’re not at their desk they are in the Neptune Lounge working with the Suite passengers.

You are correct in that the FCC is usually only visible when he/she/they are at their assigned desk in one of the public areas (in between the Explorations Cafe and Explorers Lounge on the "S" and "R" class vessels, across from Guest Services and Shorex on the larger ships). Once a "deal" is made in a face-to-face meeting with the guest, the FCC(s) have to conduct follow-up on the reservation so he/she/they do work additional hours when not out in the public. They also do a lot of "hosting" of dinner tables although some would not call that "working" ;)

And thank you both for enlightening me. Alas, I'll never be able to afford a NS -- but I have enjoyed a glass of wine quite a few times at tables hosted by the FCC (and other officers).

DRAT, I rememeber him but cAnnot think of his nAme. He wrote a Titanic book, did he not? AND wore a n old Titantic sort of uniform when he gave a lecture He was a very pleasant young man tota lly into Titanic............ :)

Ooo, I hope someone knows who I men an cana think of his name. :) (Aha, i know who will be able to help me. She was a shore ex person years ago but not for long time.

Sorry I don't remember his name, but when he was delivering his fascinating lecture in his spiffy White Star officer uniform, he slumped over the lectern and passed out. He stayed upright so for a few moments everyone was confused until we realized it was a medical emergency.

He came back fine a few days later but that was also a "Night to Remember" as he was so emotionally into what he was telling us about this event. He gave other very excllent talks about an amazing variety of topics - I remember especially the one about Worlds Fairs and the sinking of ship full of school children during WWII.

Trigger waring for a slightly crude memory about another speaker - This was an ultimately excellent speaker about astronomy who started his very first lecture out very awkwardly and kept having to go back and repeat himself and was very disjointed with his talk and the slides on the screen.

We could not figure out what was happening and how did he get hired. Then he abruptly left the stage ...still with his lapel mike on ...and all of in the showroom got to unfortunately hear his very unplanned but now amplified encounter with Miss MalDeMer. Ewwww.......

Joe L'Episcopo

The white between gold bars signifies that the position is not a Nautical rank. ( we call it Mayonnaise between the fries)

In many companies, the Engineers have Purple between their gold bars. The myth that this is a token of appreciation for the Titanic Engineers is romantic but not true by the way. The tradition already exists since the late 1800’s.

On many ships, the Medical staff has Red between the stripes ( obvious link...)

The Environmental Officer might have Green between the stripes ( again Company dependant)

Some companies use 3 normal gold bars and a thicker gold bar ( Nelson Curl may only be worn if the ship / aircraft is sailing under a Nationality that has a Royal according tradition, but this is not adhered to very well)

Other companies use 4 stripes and a ️ to signify the Master onboard.

There are companies where the Master just wears 4 stripes.

Options galore

The white between gold bars signifies that the position is not a Nautical rank. ( we call it Mayonnaise between the fries����)

In many companies, the Engineers have Purple between their gold bars. The myth that this is a token of appreciation for the Titanic Engineers is romantic but not true by the way. The tradition already exists since the late 1800’s.

On many ships, the Medical staff has Red between the stripes ( obvious link...)

The Environmental Officer might have Green between the stripes ( again Company dependant)

Some companies use 3 normal gold bars and a thicker gold bar ( Nelson Curl may only be worn if the ship / aircraft is sailing under a Nationality that has a Royal according tradition, but this is not adhered to very well)

Other companies use 4 stripes and a ️ to signify the Master onboard.

There are companies where the Master just wears 4 stripes.

Options galore ��

The purple between engineer's stripes came from the Royal Navy, and just transferred to the Merchant Navy as most uniform insignia did.

Some lines, instead of colors between the bars use symbols on the shoulderboards/epaulettes:

Fouled anchor: Deck

Propeller: Engineer

Lightning bolts: Electrical Engineer

Caduceus: Medical (though usually with red between the stripes as well)

Snow Flake: Refrigeration Engineer

Globe: Environmental Officer

Crossed Kukris: Security (NCL's bow to the use of Ghurkas as Security staff)

Do we know of any lines besides Crystal where the CD does generally wear a uniform?

Roy

Disney Cruise line is surprisingly “formal” in dress given their casual family atmosphere. The CD was in uniform every time I saw him.

Originally posted by Copper10-8 You are correct in that the FCC is usually only visible when he/she/they are at their assigned desk in one of the public areas (in between the Explorations Cafe and Explorers Lounge on the "S" and "R" class vessels, across from Guest Services and Shorex on the larger ships). Once a "deal" is made in a face-to-face meeting with the guest, the FCC(s) have to conduct follow-up on the reservation so he/she/they do work additional hours when not out in the public. They also do a lot of "hosting" of dinner tables although some would not call that "working" clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

I don’t remember which X ship it was but couple of years ago on an X sailing we were treated by the presence of the ship’s doctor, an engineer mate, A deck officer and the acupuncturist. Why our table was selected none of us could fathom but every night for four nights one of these folks sat at our table. Each of the four bought a bottle of wine for the table, except for the acupuncturist, she bought three bottles which all were finished.

Two interesting side lights. The acupuncturist was not only on her first contract, three weeks hence, it was the first time she was ever on a cruise ship. One day at a beach we saw the doctor, in a tiny speedo cavorting with a group of similarly attired “gentlemen”. I think you get my drift.

Never before or since have we been so elegantly treated.

Disney Cruise line is surprisingly “formal” in dress given their casual family atmosphere. The CD was in uniform every time I saw him.

Thanks. I guessed there might have been at least one more but have never seen it. Kind of a coincidence that Rick Spath, who Copper saw on the Crystal Serenity, was also Disney's first CD after he left HAL.

Roy

This thread had begun to take an unpleasant turn but instead has turned DELIGHTFUL!! That can almost always be counted on to happen when Copper John, Cheng, and Despegue join in with their wisdom. Wish that would always happen on this forum.(y)

• Like 1

Might vary by where in the world you live,but I know of lots of jos that make six figure incomes

Teachers

Very rarely in the USA. And my daughter-in-law buys and pays for teaching supplies herself. And she spends hours and days preparing interesting lessons.

Very rarely in the USA. And my daughter-in-law buys and pays for teaching supplies herself. And she spends hours and days preparing interesting lessons.

For comparisons to cruise captain's compensation packages:

Here are some teacher compensation schedules for a fairly modest California communities:

Hayward, California -modest Bay Area K-12: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2016/school-districts/alameda/hayward-unified/?page=4

Porterville - Central Valley ag country: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2015/school-districts/tulare/porterville-unified/?page=3

Moorpark - LA bedroom community: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2017/school-districts/ventura/moorpark-unified/?page=2

In California these full compensation schedules for public employees are public information. Teachers compensation packages often exceed $100K. These districts above are not part of the wealthy California Silicon Valley or LA Hollywood axis.

Here is wealthier Beverly Hills Unified: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2014/school-districts/los-angeles/beverly-hills-unified/

Heart of Silicon Valley - Hillborough: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2015/school-districts/san-mateo/hillsborough-city-elementary/

I do not like endless salary discussions, as ideally, we all do the work we do out of Passion and not necessarily compensation, however, there is something that needs clarification here.

In most European countries, salary figures are quoted AFTER TAX as tax is witheld at source, meaning that the money that you get on your account from your employer is already with tax deducted. Once a year, there is a tax form to fill in where you claim what you earned ( the taxman knows your normal employment earnings normally as they have deducted tax) and can claim refunds etc...

As taxes and social security ( in the EU, we all have excellent medical insurance, unemployment benefits, free tuition including university and a liveable pension) are up to 60 percent, the nett salary is much different than what an employer spends on you.

You then get a correction, which might mean you get payed money back, or you need to pay extra.

In the USA, it seems that one gets a salary, the amount that an employer spends on you,and from that salary, you need to deduct and arrange your yearly taxes yourself.

Is this correct?

I have to pay quite a lot of tax on our US properties every year by the way, much more than in Europe.

Different ways of calculating, but also an explanation why some US salary figures seem very high compared to other countries.

Now, let us focus on the fun facts about cruising and leave tax, earnings etc. For different, probably more headache-inducing and boring fora.

Maybe, maybe not, my wife is also a teacher and I can assure you makes over $100K that’s why I said it may depend where in the world you live, and remember captains on cruise ships live all over the world, including a few in Australia.

Oh by the way she also buys supplies and spends hours preparing lessons and helping kids that she teaches, and has taught in the past with all sorts of issues.

In the USA, it seems that one gets a salary, the amount that an employer spends on you,and from that salary, you need to deduct and arrange your yearly taxes yourself.

Is this correct?

No, not quite correct. Any employer with more than just a handful of employees (not sure what that number is but it's not high) has to do the same as you mention -- they arrange for withholding a part of your earnings to meet tax and Social Security obligations. You may adjust the amount higher or lower depending on your individual circumstances -- e.g., if you know your tax bill will be higher due to investments or lower due to many deductions, you can change it.

So really it's not different. Only if you are an independent contractor, part-time worker or maybe work in a small business, you may have to arrange for your own withholding (or if no withholding, you have to pay what you owe in total each year).

Despite this, we still generally quote our total salary, not what's known as "take home pay".

If you think 150-200k is low, please consider the pay of a USN Captain who might be the commanding officer of an air craft carrier that costs MANY billions of dollars, has 6000+ sailors, no time off and possibly be in a war zone. If the captain has 20 years service the base pay is about $125k.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

+1

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not quite correct. Any employer with more than just a handful of employees (not sure what that number is but it's not high) has to do the same as you mention -- they arrange for withholding a part of your earnings to meet tax and Social Security obligations. You may adjust the amount higher or lower depending on your individual circumstances -- e.g., if you know your tax bill will be higher due to investments or lower due to many deductions, you can change it.

So really it's not different. Only if you are an independent contractor, part-time worker or maybe work in a small business, you may have to arrange for your own withholding (or if no withholding, you have to pay what you owe in total each year).

Despite this, we still generally quote our total salary, not what's known as "take home pay".

You only need 1 employee in order to be obliged to do tax withholding, FICA withholding, and paying the employer FICA and any other applicable employer cosmos (e.g. workers comp). These are not things that only apply to employer's of a certain size.

Originally posted by AD5ZA If you think 150-200k is low, please consider the pay of a USN Captain who might be the commanding officer of an air craft carrier that costs MANY billions of dollars, has 6000+ sailors, no time off and possibly be in a war zone. If the captain has 20 years service the base pay is about $125k.

Sent from my iPad using

He is clearly underpaid. Military pay seems to have no connection to reality