carry on bags OK in restaurants upon boarding?

luckyinpa

last year on regal i believe the rooms were locked until 130 (meaning the fire doors closed so no access even to drop and run)

i'm on the same cruise end of this october and considering doing 2 carryons (duffel and roller) instead of one big hard sided piece. it's just 5 nites. i went to alfredos upon boarding last time or maybe will do MDR but definitely not the buffet so just wondering if they will mind some extra bags on the seats/floors out of the way of the main aisles of course.

last year on regal i believe the rooms were locked until 130 (meaning the fire doors closed so no access even to drop and run)

i'm on the same cruise end of this october and considering doing 2 carryons (duffel and roller) instead of one big hard sided piece. it's just 5 nites. i went to alfredos upon boarding last time or maybe will do MDR but definitely not the buffet so just wondering if they will mind some extra bags on the seats/floors out of the way of the main aisles of course.

Usually a venue is set aside to hold luggage with an attendant until rooms are available upon boarding.

Yeah, we always head straight for the MDR after boarding...carried bags and roll ons as well. You'll see many others, too. They just put 'em aside and you eat your excellent salmon and ceviche. notta biggie. s

Our experience too. Never saw where to check bags and at a guess there may not be enough room for everyone to check bags. So if you can handle the ones you bring on, it does not seem to be a problem going to the MDR.

If our cabin is ready, we drop them off first. If not, we take them with us. Is it somewhat inconvenient, yes, but you really have no other choice.

Cabins are not accessible on some ships now until cabins are ready at 1:00pm.

They were not on the CB 2 weeks ago.

Thats why they have a venue available to check bags rather than clog up the DR's/buffet with bags.

Cabins are not accessible on some ships now until cabins are ready at 1:00pm.

They were not on the CB 2 weeks ago.

Thats why they have a venue available to check bags rather than clog up the DR's/buffet with bags.

Presumably there is some sore of notice as you board which tells you where to take your cases?

this is all good news. so are you forced to turn the bags in to bag check or just encouraged? i know alfredos was tight but there was room around. prefer to keep stuff with us.

Not forced....they just don't want them in the dining venues.

Alfredos and the atrium area is very busy with foot traffic.

I have never seen them hold your bags - I always bring them to the dining room when I am told that the staterooms were not ready.

On another line, they did check our carry ons until our room was ready. It was obvious where it was.

I surely hope that the issue of a possible baggage check upon an early embarkation on Royal Princess this December as to where will be made clear when or before I embark. Having a staff person point the way is good; having signs posted also would be helpful.

I have never seen them hold your bags - I always bring them to the dining room when I am told that the staterooms were not ready.

This is exactly what I have seen and done. You can take your bags into almost any area, as I can't think of one where you can't. Just make sure they are not a trip and fall hazard.

If they keep us from dropping the bags off in our cabin they they're coming with us no matter where we eat- restaurant or buffet.

I'm not about to leave valuables alone in they're designated check in area.

Our sentiments too!

If they keep us from dropping the bags off in our cabin they they're coming with us no matter where we eat- restaurant or buffet.

I'm not about to leave valuables alone in they're designated check in area.

When I went to the dining room, I had my carry on with me. The waiter asked if I wouldn't mind keeping it near the wall - 8' from me as my table was the first one next to the main wall where they walk out with food. I said I would prefer to have it near me and he said "fine". I probably only said this as my back would have been next to the wall. If I could see it, I would have been ok with it.

A long time ago I sailed on Crystal. I did leave my carry one with them. They had one area very central where they were stopping people before going into the dining room. It was almost like a coat check where it was staffed, I was given a number and my luggage was tagged with that number. I felt very comfortable with that setup. There was no way someone was going to take the luggage due to the setup.

I would not be leaving my carry on luggage where I couldn't see it, as it contains passports (travel internationally to meet cruise ship) and medication.

Princess has always had cabins available to access on boarding, for the cruises we have enjoyed. One reason we prefer Princess as we don't want to drags bags around waiting for cabins to open up !

Not sure of the reason why they are now needing to delay access unless each steward now has more cabins to prepare; as another cutback in service !!!!

I would not be leaving my carry on luggage where I couldn't see it, as it contains passports (travel internationally to meet cruise ship) and medication.

Princess has always had cabins available to access on boarding, for the cruises we have enjoyed. One reason we prefer Princess as we don't want to drags bags around waiting for cabins to open up !

Not sure of the reason why they are now needing to delay access unless each steward now has more cabins to prepare; as another cutback in service !!!!

That's what I suspect. I'll ask my cabin steward next cruise.

If enough people complain & carry their luggage around the ship and to the to the DR they might hire back the missing personnel some day. It seems like they're always trying to save a buck at out expense.

I agree that my carryon bags stay with me until I put them into my cabin.

I would not just leave them in some "central area".

Are we sure there is a central area? Never heard of this on Princess.

As for fewer stewards, I think it is more people doing early boarding and the stewards being slowed down by people putting items in the room. Thus requiring the steward to have to use his card.

I have never seen, heard, or had any problems taking my carryon any where on the ship.

One problem is that there are carry-ons and then there are CARRY-ONS!! Eating in the buffet with lots of the former is no problem, the problems occur when there are lots of the latter. There is only a problem when lots of people eat in the MDR with the latter.

One problem is that there are carry-ons and then there are CARRY-ONS!! Eating in the buffet with lots of the former is no problem, the problems occur when there are lots of the latter. There is only a problem when lots of people eat in the MDR with the latter.

Yep, that's us you'll be seeing with our full size carry on's.

No need to wait for luggage to be delivered especially if Princess decides to cut back on the crew assigned for that job. :rolleyes: