The Downside of Booking Tours with other Cruise Critic Members 😡

SM Cruiser

The only kind of CC tours I sign up for are the type where each person pays the highly rated tour company directly. I don't want to handle or be responsible for anyone else's money and I don't expect others to do so. This has always worked out well and if someone gets sick, it doesn't matter to the rest of the group.

Since you were part of the group do you feel bad enough to pay Moises? Do you feel bad enough to at least pay the amount you committed?

We had absolutely no input on this tour being cancelled. We wanted to go but was not given the option. If we had been involved in the decision making process then yes it would be fair that we would pay the cancellation fee.

Thank you to everyone for your input, much appreciated.

I do not like to take ship tours and we often will use the local buses and trains etc. in many different countries, as we have on this 3 week trip. Unfortunately time was too tight to try to reschedule getting to Seville on this occasion.

The one thing that I have learned is that I will now only join or arrange reputable highly rated tours whereby the amount is pre paid by all. I also hope that Moises now introduces at least a deposit requirement for his tours.

Hopefully, we’ll get the chance to see Seville another year.

There can be another down side to booking a tour through a CC roll call. A few years ago somebody complained here that the first half hour of each tour was spend doing something the poster didn't like. The person didn't say WHAT that something was: visiting a church, visiting a bar, having a "get to know one another" session or whatever. Nonetheless they felt that the M&G organizer wasted a half hour of their time ashore in every port.

On a ship-sponsored tour at least the tour will run if there are last minute no-shows because it has to be paid in advance and it's non-refundable after a cancellation deadline.

That said, there is a very strong anti-ship sponsored tour bias on these boards. I was flamed for recommending to a first time cruiser to go with a ship sponsored tour. "You do them a great disservice by suggesting that they should pay more and get less." Anybody who doesn't DIY or book privately is labeled as lazy, foolish, and content to waste both their time and money.

Many guides are now requiring a non refundable deposit or full payment well in advance

It can be good in some ways but not in others EG: the ship cannot make the port

I prefer the pay at the time tours but not always possible

As to people not liking parts of the tour well it is all spelled out in the description so if you do not want the shopping time that is allowed do not book that tour

I always ask to not include shopping I can shop at home ;)

We had absolutely no input on this tour being cancelled. We wanted to go but was not given the option. If we had been involved in the decision making process then yes it would be fair that we would pay the cancellation fee.

That is too bad that the organizer would not have given you the chance to do the tour anyway

Now you know who NOT to join their private tours with

Hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly

That said, there is a very strong anti-ship sponsored tour bias on these boards. I was flamed for recommending to a first time cruiser to go with a ship sponsored tour. "You do them a great disservice by suggesting that they should pay more and get less." Anybody who doesn't DIY or book privately is labeled as lazy, foolish, and content to waste both their time and money.

I would never say that those taking ship tours are lazy, foolish, etc. Just as I would never say that all first-time cruisers should take ship tours. It's not a one-size-fits-all situation.

For my elderly parents, even though they are experienced travelers, ship tours are perfect and they're usually able to see some sights without worry and without an overly strenuous day.

On the other hand, my sister and BIL, armed with research (and some advice from me) were able to DIY all of their ports on their first Med cruise -- because that's their preference, like mine. And they had a great time and have probably been on 6-7 Med cruises since then, almost all done using private tours or DIY. (And neither of us has come close to missing the ship in any port....)

As to people not liking parts of the tour well it is all spelled out in the description so if you do not want the shopping time that is allowed do not book that tour ..

Valid point but in the case of the wasted half hour the CC organizer didn't mention that activity in their description. The poster would not have signed on had they known that.

Legitimate tour operators, ship or private, will outline their exact itineraries. They don't want disappointed guests to give them a bad rating because it was not as described. When MadameCC Superorganizer (it's almost always a she) runs the tour one either has to trust her or vet her past performance.

The only kind of CC tours I sign up for are the type where each person pays the highly rated tour company directly. I don't want to handle or be responsible for anyone else's money and I don't expect others to do so. This has always worked out well and if someone gets sick, it doesn't matter to the rest of the group.

Agree that this is probably the best way to handle a private tour if you're the organizer. I was the 'leader" on 5 private tours on the Millennium S.E. Asia Cruise.I had groups as large as 18. Each couple/single was responsible for booking and paying for the tours, listed under my name, directly with the tour company. I never had to worry about collecting money. I met up with everyone at the Meet & Mingle and clarified, for one last time, EXACTLY what time and where everyone was to meet and no, we would not wait for anyone who was late.

Everyone was on time, everyone had already paid and we all enjoyed 5 fabulous tours.

Valid point but in the case of the wasted half hour the CC organizer didn't mention that activity in their description. The poster would not have signed on had they known that.

Legitimate tour operators, ship or private, will outline their exact itineraries. They don't want disappointed guests to give them a bad rating because it was not as described. When MadameCC Superorganizer (it's almost always a she) runs the tour one either has to trust her or vet her past performance.

That is too bad some organizers are not forthcoming with all the details

I have done many private tours & always post the description from the tour guide so there is no misunderstanding

I had one tour where I asked NO SHOPPING from the guide & posted this in the tour description

One lady went to the guide & asked to stop for shopping ..he asked me if this is what we wanted

told NO it was not part of the tour we had booked

no one wanted the shopping stop but her

FWIW: never a bad idea to Google your potential tour mates.

It’s not a “bad idea”, but hardly likely to be effective.

Unless the named individual has repute as a serial axe murderer or (sadly, less likely) a traveling philanthropist who covers the expenses of fellow travelers, entering a typical cruise passenger’s name on Google has minimal chances of coming up with a hit.

It’s not a “bad idea”, but hardly likely to be effective.

Unless the named individual has repute as a serial axe murderer or (sadly, less likely) a traveling philanthropist who covers the expenses of fellow travelers, entering a typical cruise passenger’s name on Google has minimal chances of coming up with a hit.

Not sure I agree with "minimal." Depends on what folks do for professional/community commitments.

Yes, the behavior is shameful OP. Very bad form!I am sorry you had this experience.

Had we placed others in such a horrible position we would have happily paid for our share knowing others were depending on us. We have done so in the past on ship based excursions when we got sick on a cruise and had to cancel last minute. It is the risk you take especially in our case when traveling with kids.

That said, we NEVER "share" private excursions with strangers we meet on roll calls. Not that we don't love our fellow humans but yeah...

Please make lemonade out of these lemons and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

That's really an unfortunate experience. We have done both private, and ship excursions. I'm partial to the ship tours and here's why. In Naples we were on a private tour, we got stuck in a terrible traffic jam, and barely made it back in time before the ship left. Then in Greece, our tour guide kept talking about the horrible political situations, and disappeared for quite a while as we waited in the van for her to return. In Egypt our driver almost hit a pregnant woman, and people began to shout and scream at us. It was quite frightening. Our excursion in Istanbul was ship sponsored, however, our guide didn't realize that we were delayed because the entrance ticket machine got jammed up, and left without us. We tried to reach our group, but just couldn't catch up with them. On our Caribbean Cruise, all our excursions were thru the ship, and I was much more relaxed knowing the ship would wait for us, no matter what the delay was. I must add that on all the private excursions, we meet some extremely nice fellow cruisers as we were planning the tours on the Roll Call boards. I guess it's whatever experiences you've had concerning excursions that determines your preference.

There are risks with any type of travel and the shore excursions are no exception, no matter who organises the trip. Everyone should weigh up what the pros and cons are for the various options and then go with the one they find most acceptable

We have participated in many CC roll call shorex's and have also organised some our selves, we tend to have very small groups 2 or 4 up to an 8 maximum. We always commit knowing that if we have any people we do not already know join us, we are prepared to pay the extra.

We have participated in many CC roll call shorex's and have also organised some our selves, we tend to have very small groups 2 or 4 up to an 8 maximum. We always commit knowing that if we have any people we do not already know join us, we are prepared to pay the extra.

I agree with all you said. If my DH and I were experienced travelers, I would probably plan for more private tours, like our friends do. However, I don't think I will ever shake that horrible feeling in Naples not knowing if we were going to make it back to the ship in time before it left!! I think another factor in private vs ship excursions is the total time spent in port. That has to be one of the most important things to consider, plus whether or not the tour area is known for extreme traffic conditions. Planning ahead is important, but you must be prepared for the unexpected!!(yn)

We have always had good luck arranging to join private tours with CC posters or with others on the fly at ports.

We no longer bother with cruise ship sponsored excursions. It is not a cost issue, rather a preference.

Us too. In fact, I am frequently the organizer and, in some cases, am still friends with people I met by organizing such tours. I make it a point to inform all participants that they owe for the tour even if they end up cancelling. In one case my husband took ill and we had to cancel and without hesitation I shared the tour contactinfo with my tour mates so they could still go as well as paid for our empty seats. I comfirm all details, meeting place and time multiple times. We meet at the Meet and Greet. There is always a chance plans may go astray but I try to do everything I can to ensure that does not happen.

Us too. In fact, I am frequently the organizer and, in some cases, am still friends with people I met by organizing such tours. I make it a point to inform all participants that they owe for the tour even if they end up cancelling. In one case my husband took ill and we had to cancel and without hesitation I shared the tour contactinfo with my tour mates so they could still go as well as paid for our empty seats. I comfirm all details, meeting place and time multiple times. We meet at the Meet and Greet. There is always a chance plans may go astray but I try to do everything I can to ensure that does not happen.

Sounds like the way to go, pretty much what we do if we are sharing the excursions with others.

Not a roll call, but Rome in Limo has a site for organizing or joining tours with "strangers". RIL handles logistics, payments, etc. We wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So do Spain Day Tours. They get credit card info but you can pay the guide with cash on the day of the tour.

So much easier than people cancelling at the last minute.