NOT QUITE LIVE! — MS Zuiderdam — NYC to QC

*Miss G*

Two more sleeps till departure! Today is laundry and sorting-out-what-I-should-bring day. I’ve been kind of putting that one off but I am running out of time now.

Of more pressing concern is Hurricane Florence. My in-laws live in NC and we live in VA. From all accounts it appears Florence will make landfall in the Carolinas and possibly move up into VA. So while we may be just one step ahead of the storm by leaving on Wednesday, we still have the worry of what will happen when it hits. It has been raining here since Saturday from Gordon, and we are already at 300% more rainfall above normal. I am concerned about flooding. And the trees in my yard.

This is not how I anticipated enjoying my vacation prep. :(

Oh dear *Miss G*, I can't blame you for being concerned.

Florence trajections do not look good so far :(

I hope something happens for your and everyone's sake and it moves out to sea away from land and far enough to spare everyone the wind and rain (yn)

Following along as well. Zuiderdam was our very first cruise in 2004. While we haven’t been back to HAL (we like much bigger ships), I make sure to let everyone know of the superb service we had. I was on here reading Gambee’s review of his sailing to Alaska, and I saw this.

Happy sailing!

P.S. We’re also in Virginia and wondering what Florence has in store for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Praying for you, "Miss G". Daughter and SIL are in NC, and best friend from high school and cousin are in VA. Guess I'm praying for EVERYONE. Are you coastal or inland? Which airport are you flying out of? <---eww, poor grammar :(.

Thank you everyone! In-laws are squared away at a hotel. They were evacuated by boat after one hurricane so not doing that again.

Av8rix, we are in Metropolitan DC, on the Virginia side, so we see some crazy weather in this area. In fact, more crazy than when we lived in Florida, believe it or not. It looks like Florence is heading this way so I’ve resigned myself to its fate. What will be will be and I cannot do anything about it. Maybe up my wine budget.

Yesterday I discovered that I do not have the suitcase I was going to use. (I travel back and forth between residences for work and have left it there.) Manchester Airport wrecked my other one (as they always do) and the one I have is too small for two weeks, so last night I went suitcase shopping. I wish I’d started packing earlier because I would have had time to buy it online.

I still don’t have my packing done. :o

Good thing you took that upsell :D

:')

Up and at ‘em!!

What a terrible sleep last night. :loudcry: The car is coming at 9:30 am to take us to the airport. I got up early to have my coffee and relax a bit before the panic. I function better with caffeine and a restful start.

As Murphy dictates, yesterday was crazy but we managed to get most of our packing done late last night. Just the fine details left now. One more cup of coffee and it should be clear to me what those details are.

I got home from an appointment last night and my husband greeted me with the news that Hurricane Florence is now tracking a little further south. I had no idea I was carrying so much weight until it lifted off my shoulders. What a relief! Of course, not for those who are now in its path so we can only hope for the best possible outcome for everyone.

:')

Up and at ‘em!!

What a terrible sleep last night. :loudcry: The car is coming at 9:30 am to take us to the airport. I got up early to have my coffee and relax a bit before the panic. I function better with caffeine and a restful start.

As Murphy dictates, yesterday was crazy but we managed to get most of our packing done late last night. Just the fine details left now. One more cup of coffee and it should be clear to me what those details are.

I got home from an appointment last night and my husband greeted me with the news that Hurricane Florence is now tracking a little further south. I had no idea I was carrying so much weight until it lifted off my shoulders. What a relief! Of course, not for those who are now in its path so we can only hope for the best possible outcome for everyone.

Yes, the nerves pre-cruise about everything and last minute things, once you are on the ship hopefully any stresses will go away. We have in our thoughts for the people in the path of the hurricane. Looking forward to trip reports.

Mary

Miss G: I hope you had a good trip up to NYC. We are on our final sea day here on the Zuiderdam :(, en route to Brooklyn at the end of the 20-day Viking Passage.

We’ve been sailing though fog all day, very bizarre, as it’s nearly 90 degrees out and quite humid, a real shock after a cold weather cruise.

The Captain expects to sail under the Verrazano at about 5:15am tomorrow. Hopefully, he will find Brooklyn through all the fog. ;p

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you everyone!

Our flight was to leave at 12:30 pm. At 12:30 pm they announce boarding. Knowing I had some time I headed to the restroom. The first sign was for the men’s room. Ahh — That second sign must be the ladies’ room. I head inside. My usual routine is to clean the seat then lay down the protector. IIf a more thorough job is required I back away quickly; usually accompanied by a muffled scream. I notice that the woman in the cubicle next to me has really big feet. She also smells like cigars.

I hum a little tune.

While I am washing my hands, a male attendant quietly approaches and whispers “You’re in the men’s room.” :eek:

That explains the ugly shoes.

At 1:00 pm we are all aboard and the cabin door is locked. Our departure slot is now 1:38 pm. We leave the gate and drive to a parking spot. The engines are turned off to conserve fuel.

At 1:30 pm we are told we would be delayed another 15 minutes. The passengers in front of me don’t respond well to that so they are brought water and pretzels. The other passengers don’t respond well to that so we are offered water and pretzels too.

At 2:00 pm the plane loses power and all the lights go out. The A/C shuts down and it begins to get warm. The Captain announces that if he cannot restart the small engine which runs the systems we will have to return to the gate.

A few unsuccessful tries. I learn it is very very quiet on a plane without power. I can hear people whispering in the back.

Another try. Success! The pilot decided to turn on one of the engines so we didn’t lose power again.

We have a new time slot. 2:26 pm. We shall see.

At 2:26 pm we are told we have a new time slot. It’s now 3:00 pm, but they’re not making any promises.

Good thing I went to the men’s bathroom.

Thank you everyone!

Our flight was to leave at 12:30 pm.At 12:30 pm they announce boarding.Knowing I had some time I headed to the restroom.The first sign was for the men’s room.Ahh — That second sign must be the ladies’ room.I head inside.My usual routine is to clean the seat then lay down the protector.(If a more thorough job is required I back away quickly; usually accompanied by a muffled scream.) I noticed that the woman in the cubicle next to me had really big feet.She also smelled like cigars.

I hummed a little tune.

While I was washing my hands, a male attendant quietly approaches and whispers “You’re in the men’s room.” :eek:

At 1:00 pm we are all aboard and the cabin door is locked. Our departure slot is now 1:38 pm. We leave the gate and drive to a parking spot. The engines are turned off to conserve fuel.

At 1:30 pm we are told we would be delayed another 15 minutes. The passengers in front of me don’t respond well to that so they were brought water and pretzels. The other passengers don’t respond well to that so we are offered water and pretzels too.

At 2:00 pm the plane loses power and all the lights go out. The A/C shuts down and it begins to get warm. The Captain announces that if he cannot restart the small engine which runs the systems we will have to return to the gate.

A few unsuccessful tries. I learn it is very very quiet on a plane without power. I can hear people whispering in the back.

Another try. Success! The pilot decided to turn on one of the engines so we didn’t lose power again.

We have a new time slot. 2:26 pm. We shall see.

At 2:26 pm we are told we have a new time slot. It’s now 3:00 pm, but they’re not making any promises.

The men’s room story made me chuckle (I mean laughed a bit more than I should’ve)

I’m sorry about the plane, I haven’t had any big or small issue yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flight attendant is now telling the disgruntled passengers in front of me that, if we don’t get a 3:00 pm takeoff, we will have go back to the gate and disembark. Due to regulations we are not allowed to be sitting out on the tarmac for longer than two hours.

Disgruntled passengers are brought wine. It pays to be a disgruntled passenger on United Airlines.

At 3:35 pm I hear the other engine start up. Could this be? Yes! We are cleared for departure!!

I am not normally this excited to be taking off.

While I am washing my hands, a male attendant quietly approaches and whispers “You’re in the men’s room.” :eek:

LOL!!!

I can't tell you how many times, over the years, I have bumped into men leaving the Ladies' Room in public buildings.

Good thing you "went" and keeping fingers crossed for you.

It is a 40 minute flight to Newark. At 3:15 pm the Captain comments that we may have noticed we are flying around in circles. This is because we aren’t cleared for landing. Maybe another 20 minutes.

The Hemisphere mag is all about cooking in Italy. My husband says “Let me put this magazine away.” It is making him hangry.

We are flying in and through and all around great big billowy clouds. They look like marshmallows. I pretend I am a graham cracker.

Yes! We are here!!

To finish off from yesterday... we land in the pouring rain. Fellow passengers rush to connecting flights. Or not. More than likely they are headed to Customer Service. Our Priority bags are the last ones down the conveyor. Having experienced my bags NOT coming down the conveyor I am happy.

I initially was going to use Dial7 Limo service. Their prices seemed reasonable and you can contact them upon arrival. I double-check their prices when we land and they have doubled. I dial Carmel Limo instead.

It is not a luxury car by any means, but the driver is courteous and professional and handles the vehicle like a pro. Which is really saying something in NYC traffic. He knows exactly where he’s going and which routes to take to get us there the fastest. Plus we got an excellent price. I highly recommend this company.

For those who need an idea of the price:

2ade9f651757decf4129a7d187497117.jpg