Jewel or Dawn...Which Would You Choose

Yo Adrienne

DH and I (no kiddos) are considering a cruise in Fall of 2019. The two ships we're looking at are the Dawn and the Jewel. We've done the Jewel (and the Pearl) and loved 'em both, but have never done the Dawn, so looking for opinions on how the two ships compare.

Both itineraries we're considering would be good--so that's not a deciding factor for us.

Ship deck plans are similar enough that our cabin choice would be virtually identical. We would book a suite...so Haven amenities would apply in both cases. We know there is no specific Haven location on the Dawn, but that doesn't matter to us, as we've never bothered with the Haven area on the Jewel. Designated restaurant for suite breakfast and lunch is fine for us.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

:):)

Both itineraries being equal, IMO, the Jewel is superior to the Dawn. The main reasons being that the Jewel has The Great Outdoors eating area on deck 12. It's all fresco dining which is great for warm weather routes. The other reason is that the Jewel has the Spinnaker Lounge on deck 13 forward. It's a great place to relax during the daytime with extraordinary views of the ocean. Done both ships, my two bits...

DH and I (no kiddos) are considering a cruise in Fall of 2019. The two ships we're looking at are the Dawn and the Jewel. We've done the Jewel (and the Pearl) and loved 'em both, but have never done the Dawn, so looking for opinions on how the two ships compare.

Both itineraries we're considering would be good--so that's not a deciding factor for us.

Ship deck plans are similar enough that our cabin choice would be virtually identical. We would book a suite...so Haven amenities would apply in both cases. We know there is no specific Haven location on the Dawn, but that doesn't matter to us, as we've never bothered with the Haven area on the Jewel. Designated restaurant for suite breakfast and lunch is fine for us.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

:):)

For us it would be a hard decision. We have a special place in our hearts for the Jewel. We sailed her on her first very first cruise, from Dover to NYC. But we have sailed the Jewel Class ships so many times we were ready for a break. In May we tried the Dawn for the second time ad fell in love with her. She was refurbished not long ago, looks great and has the best crew of any ship we have sailed and that is saying a lot. Sine talk about her being older or whatever. Well age isn't everything. The only draw back at all, in our minds is, she is a harder to learn your way around, but even that did not stop us from booking her on a 10 day cruise this coming Feb.

Probably another plus for the Dawn in your situation is: variety is the spice of life or so they say. You want to try something new don't you?

Both itineraries being equal, IMO, the Jewel is superior to the Dawn. The main reasons being that the Jewel has The Great Outdoors eating area on deck 12. It's all fresco dining which is great for warm weather routes. The other reason is that the Jewel has the Spinnaker Lounge on deck 13 forward. It's a great place to relax during the daytime with extraordinary views of the ocean. Done both ships, my two bits...

Because both cruises we're considering are "cool weather" destinations, The Great Outdoors probably wouldn't be a meal option--regardless, so that probably wouldn't be an issue for us.

With regard to there being no Spinnaker Lounge, what's in that area instead...?

Also, did you cruise on the Dawn pre- or post- its 2016 refurbishment...?

Thanks so much...really appreciate your insights...! :)

The ships are similar enough that I would really look at the itineraries. We have sailed on the Dawn twice and Jewel three times and like both ships.

Indeed, that's the thing...the ships look to be very similar.

When you cruised on the Dawn, was it pre- or post- the 2016 refurbishment...?

For us it would be a hard decision. We have a special place in our hearts for the Jewel. We sailed her on her first very first cruise, from Dover to NYC. But we have sailed the Jewel Class ships so many times we were ready for a break. In May we tried the Dawn for the second time ad fell in love with her. She was refurbished not long ago, looks great and has the best crew of any ship we have sailed and that is saying a lot. Sine talk about her being older or whatever. Well age isn't everything. The only draw back at all, in our minds is, she is a harder to learn your way around, but even that did not stop us from booking her on a 10 day cruise this coming Feb.

Probably another plus for the Dawn in your situation is: variety is the spice of life or so they say. You want to try something new don't you?

Other than being a little harder to navigate...were there any other real downsides to the Dawn that you saw/experienced...?

Thanks so much...! :)

I love Jewel because of Great Outdoors, but Atrium is better on Dawn/Star class. O'Sheehan's is much more pleasant there because of panorama elevators.

I wish they refurbish Dawn and make her like a Star with adult 18+ H2O aft.

846ddf0556543f5ec100acb422f39df6.jpg93df6fe11c2f9e03036996d3ec4cf5f3.jpgd080141a318867e080b0cda5d24a7d64.jpg

I love Jewel because of Great Outdoors, but Atrium is better on Dawn/Star class. O'Sheehan's is much more pleasant there because of panorama elevators.

I wish they refurbish Dawn and make her like a Star with adult 18+ H2O aft.

846ddf0556543f5ec100acb422f39df6.jpg93df6fe11c2f9e03036996d3ec4cf5f3.jpgd080141a318867e080b0cda5d24a7d64.jpg

Are those pictures of Star?

And what changes were made to Dawn in 2016? Did she lose any public space?

Edited by molole

Because both cruises we're considering are "cool weather" destinations, The Great Outdoors probably wouldn't be a meal option--regardless, so that probably wouldn't be an issue for us.

With regard to there being no Spinnaker Lounge, what's in that area instead...?

Also, did you cruise on the Dawn pre- or post- its 2016 refurbishment...?

Thanks so much...really appreciate your insights...! :)

There is a sun deck on deck 13 forward. We sailed the Dawn prior to it's refurbishment.

What are the itineraries of both shops? If both are doable for you, I'd choose the Jewel, because of the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker Lounge. The views of the ocean are incredible from it's huge windows.

Years ago, this area was gutted from the Dawn and made into suites on Deck 12. If you are considering a suite on the Dawn, I'd recommend this area for you. I was once upgraded to a DOS there and loved it. No balcony but a great view from the huge windows. I was just steps from the pool deck, so I could easily sit outside when I wanted to.

DH and I have been on the Jewel, Gem which is very similar, and many times on the Dawn. We enjoyed all of them.

Are those pictures of Star?

And what changes were made to Dawn in 2016? Did she lose any public space?

It's a Star which is an identical twin to Dawn.

I am not sure these changes happened on Dawn, but really wish they did.

With regard to there being no Spinnaker Lounge, what's in that area instead...? .....

There are cabins where the Spinnaker observation lounge used to be.

This.

Spinnaker Lounge would be enough of a difference for me.

We loved the Spinnaker lounge on our cruise on the Jade. I missed having that area when we were on the Dawn on a trip to Bermuda. We were in one of those suites that replaced the Spinnaker; and as much as everyone says they didn't miss the balcony...we did. I loved having those big windows but it just wasn't the same. If you can wait until November...we'll be on the Jewel & I'll let you know!

Cheers

We loved the Spinnaker lounge on our cruise on the Jade. I missed having that area when we were on the Dawn on a trip to Bermuda. We were in one of those suites that replaced the Spinnaker; and as much as everyone says they didn't miss the balcony...we did. I loved having those big windows but it just wasn't the same. If you can wait until November...we'll be on the Jewel & I'll let you know!

Cheers

Thank you...! Indeed, we briefly considered one of those suites you mention without the balcony (DOS)...but think that even though the suite might be beautiful, we'd miss the balcony too much...!

And same for us, too...in doing research and looking at pics, we're thinking we might miss Spinnaker too much, too...!

Where are you headed in November...? :)

Thank you...! Indeed, we briefly considered one of those suites you mention without the balcony (DOS)...but think that even though the suite might be beautiful, we'd miss the balcony too much...!

And same for us, too...in doing research and looking at pics, we're thinking we might miss Spinnaker too much, too...!

Where are you headed in November...? :)

It's a bucket list trip. We are sailing from Singapore to Sydney, Australia (19 days) with some wonderful ports in between. I have been doing some serious planning. I am attempting to spend my children's inheritance one cruise at a time:D

Cheers, Sandy