Steakhouse Price Increase

Luckysll

Y, the filet in the surf and turf and ribeyes were far from that. But getting served mushy lobster is one of the most disgusting things a person can be served, and me and my boys LOVE lobster.

Did you send them back or otherwise give them a chance to prepare to your liking?

Did you send them back or otherwise give them a chance to prepare to your liking?

I don't see the relevance. If I ate in a restaurant for the first time and the food wasn't prepared correctly the first time I'd not be in a hurry to use that restaurant again even if they did fix the error, especially if it was a restaurant that was supposed to be top notch.

One of the good things is it is an option. Those that want it fo there and those that don’t go somewhere else. Btw, which cruise line does not have this option?

EXACTLY..."option" is key in this situation and people will spend THEIR money on what they want...not really an argument here, to each his own...

I don't see the relevance. If I ate in a restaurant for the first time and the food wasn't prepared correctly the first time I'd not be in a hurry to use that restaurant again even if they did fix the error, especially if it was a restaurant that was supposed to be top notch.

I agree, and even though like someone said earlier in this thread that even the best restaurants have an off night, that one bad experience still can be enough to keep someone from returning. I know our first and only experience has us hesitant to try it again, especially since we think most of the included food is perfectly fine, in fact we thought the flat iron steaks we had at the Lido dinner buffet were cooked better that the steaks that they served us in the steakhouse, I mean how can a buffet do med rare better than a supposed steakhouse?

I mentioned the return of the cheesecake and this thread to DH last night and he said even though the cheesecake was the best part of the meal for him and glad they decided to bring it back, not sure if it's really worth another trip when there's plenty of other options we know we enjoy and others to we still want to try. For instance, I already booked what will be our first experience at Cucina Del Capitano.

We don't mind paying extra for a meal on-board, but in doing so, we expect it to be a good experience and better than what's included

If something was off and you didn't say something, that says more about you than the restaurant.

For everything to be off, whether or not you said something, also says more about you.

To say the MDR is better than the Steak House, really tells a story.

Taste is subjective, and some people prefer simpler food and/or more money in their pocket. Many people, including myself, have been the the Steakhouse to know what it is, and is not. I will continue to occasionally eat in the Steakhouse. It is fine dining and special. Ruth's Chris it is not, but then it doesn't cost nearly as much, either.

Thank you for this. I really didn't want to try to defend this position but this is the route I've always gone down. I don't owe the restaurant anything other than my paying my bill so it really bothers me when people say you should have let them know so they can fix it. It's up to the staff/management to make sure things are coming out right. If they can't prepare something like shellfish, which could make a person sick when prepared wrong, correctly, then why would I want to take chance on them giving me another dish or something?

If something was off and you didn't say something, that says more about you than the restaurant.

For everything to be off, whether or not you said something, also says more about you.

Taste is subjective, and some people prefer simpler food and/or more money in their pocket. Many people, including myself, have been the the Steakhouse to know what it is, and is not. I will continue to occasionally eat in the Steakhouse. It is fine dining and special. Ruth's Chris it is not, but then it doesn't cost nearly as much, either.

Why do I owe a restaurant realtime feedback? I gave them a negative review in comments to Carnival, no need to cause a scene. I worked as a waitress through college and have had to deal with plenty of people who complain about food, even way back when before the internet. I don't want to be one of those people, "right" or "wrong".

Did I say it everything was off? Your comments after not carefully reading my posts says something about you too, either you can't read well, you aren't careful or you disregard the truth. Do you work at CNN?:')

You obviously don't have very discerning tastes or lack of times going to steakhouses if you think Ruth's Chris is the pinnacle of the steakhouse experience. Sure it is better than what we had on Carnival but I've literally been to hundreds of places better than that. Is it consistent? Sure. But I'd never go there on my own dime either.

Edited by lottiegreen56

Y

I stand by my statements. Based on our experience with the food, we wouldn’t eat it at any price, there’s too many good options in the MDR. I worked in Ag sales for 20+ years before going into finance and I know an excellent steak, the filet in the surf and turf and ribeyes were far from that. But getting served mushy lobster is one of the most disgusting things a person can be served, and me and my boys LOVE lobster.

Admittedly I did not sample the soup, not a fan of hot soups in the summer in general so cannot confirm or deny YOUR OPINION!

Why do I owe a restaurant realtime feedback? I gave them a negative review in comments to Carnival, no need to cause a scene. I worked as a waitress through college and have had to deal with plenty of people who complain about food, even way back when before the internet. I don't want to be one of those people, "right" or "wrong".

Did I say it everything was off? Your comments after not carefully reading my posts says something about you too, either you can't read well, you aren't careful or you disregard the truth. Do you work at CNN?:')

You obviously don't have very discerning tastes or lack of times going to steakhouses if you think Ruth's Chris is the pinnacle of the steakhouse experience. Sure it is better than what we had on Carnival but I've literally been to hundreds of places better than that. Is it consistent? Sure. But I'd never go there on my own dime either.

Did I call you by name? But rereading, I do see you had no opinion of the onion soup.

I stand by my post and know everything I need to know about your food opinions.

You must work either at Fox or Infowars.

Did I call you by name? But rereading, I do see you had no opinion of the onion soup.

I stand by my post and know everything I need to know about your food opinions.

You must work either at Fox or Infowars.

I said the Caesar salad was excellent and the desserts were fine. I didn't call the meal a disaster but why go to a steakhouse for a good Caesar salad?

Guess what Lottie you don't have to go back. Its wonderful that you are happy with the other options.

We have reservations for our June cruise because we always dine in the steak house the last night and sometimes earlier in our cruises. I can say having dined in NCL and RCCL steakhouses more than 15 times. I have had some amazing steaks and some "good" steaks but I have never had a bad meal.

Looking forward to giving Carnivals a shot. A couple of bucks won't make us change our reservations.

It can say whatever it wants to say about me, I don't really care. My expectation is that if I'm paying big money for a meal that the meal will be done correctly and if they can't get it right then I certainly don't owe them any more of my business, even if they do eventually get it right (and I would certainly address it with them right then). It's not my job to tell them how to do theirs. $38 isn't big money for a meal, but in the context of a cruise it is substantial and the steakhouse is supposed to be a cut above. Mushy lobster means that it was overcooked and again it's not my job to tell them how to cook it. I can certainly understand if someone has what they consider to be a substandard meal why they would hesitate to go down that road again.

"

if you think Ruth's Chris is the pinnacle of the steakhouse experience. Sure it is better than what we had on Carnival but I've literally been to hundreds of places better"

This says it all, 100's of places, name 5 . Reading your post, I'm sure the restaurant owners in your home town can't wait for you to show up

"

if you think Ruth's Chris is the pinnacle of the steakhouse experience. Sure it is better than what we had on Carnival but I've literally been to hundreds of places better"

This says it all, 100's of places, name 5 . Reading your post, I'm sure the restaurant owners in your home town can't wait for you to show up

I worked in AG sales and was in the beef production section for 10 years. I'm not an expert on anything but I know a ton about the beef industry. When you are selling to cattlemen, ag conglomerates, etc throughout the Midwest and South, you eat at steakhouses 4/5 times! I said I wasn't bragging and certainly never did it on my own dime! I actually like seafood more than beef but don't tell anyone, my hubby is still in Ag.

1) Stables Steakhouse in Terre Haute, Indiana is the best I've ever been to.

2) St. Elmo in Indianapolis can't be beat.

3) The Knotty Pine in Dayton, Ohio is excellent.

4) The Golden Lamb in Ohio was excellent though not sure they are still around.

5) Gene and Gorgetti is the only steakhouse I've actually made a point to spend my own money at when I'm in Chicago.

Morton's and Smith & Wollensky are easily the best chains.

It can say whatever it wants to say about me, I don't really care. My expectation is that if I'm paying big money for a meal that the meal will be done correctly and if they can't get it right then I certainly don't owe them any more of my business, even if they do eventually get it right (and I would certainly address it with them right then). It's not my job to tell them how to do theirs. $38 isn't big money for a meal, but in the context of a cruise it is substantial and the steakhouse is supposed to be a cut above. Mushy lobster means that it was overcooked and again it's not my job to tell them how to cook it. I can certainly understand if someone has what they consider to be a substandard meal why they would hesitate to go down that road again.

That is your prerogative. Mine is to discount any such reviews.

I am certain I have more beef in my backyard than one poster has eaten in their lifetime.

I am certain I have more beef in my backyard than one poster has eaten in their lifetime.

Ok, so now we're switching from how we should respond to food issues should we be served something that isn't cooked right to how to react to reviews. I personally don't give reviews too much weight but I don't automatically discount someone else's experience just because it doesn't coincide with my experience.

Good for you, maybe I've sold stuff to you or those you work with. Beef production is very rewarding and important to our economy and national security and I applaud your efforts.

What breed are you running? Cow-calf? We used to do finishing but got out of that in the 90s, still have some lambs and sheep and are pretty bullish on that side of things for the next several years. Hubby has been toying with trying prawns but I am hoping he doesn't. We're getting too old to do something as capital intensive as that.

Ok, so now we're switching from how we should respond to food issues should we be served something that isn't cooked right to how to react to reviews. I personally don't give reviews too much weight but I don't automatically discount someone else's experience just because it doesn't coincide with my experience.

I discount reviews that

a) didn't give the establishment a chance to correct an error.

b) condemn a restaurant based on a singular experience.

c) otherwise don't pass the smell test

Americans consume about 50 to 60 lbs of beef a year:

Americans ate an average 55.6 pounds of beef in 2016, up from 54 pounds in 2015, according to the Department of Agriculture. This comes after a decade during which U.S. beef consumption plummeted 15%.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/07/03/americans-eat-more-beef-and-meat-trend-thats-expected-continue/435331001/

I'm going to assume that is a per capita average, therefore including infants. With a lifespan of about 75 years, the average American will eat about 4100 lbs of beef. The average steer apparently yields about 500 lbs of trimmed boneless beef.

http://igrow.org/livestock/beef/how-much-meat-can-you-expect-from-a-fed-steer/

So the average American consumes the equivalent of 8 steer in their lifetime.

So if you have 9 steer in your backyard, you would be right, on average. If you have 20, I bet that is more than even the top 1% of beef eaters!

I discount reviews that

a) didn't give the establishment a chance to correct an error.

b) condemn a restaurant based on a singular experience.

c) otherwise don't pass the smell test

a) the more that is being paid for the meal the less margin for error there is, and

b) if an upscale restaurant makes a mistake or there is something fundamentally wrong with an order that is enough to steer clear of them in the future even if they are given the opportunity to fix the error and do so. I'm not going to fault someone for not giving them a second chance under those circumstances.

c) I wouldn't let one adverse review influence my decision too much.

I went to my first Wendy's in the mid-70's and it was the worst burger I'd ever had, even to this day. Greasy and full of gristle. I didn't walk into another Wendy's until the mid-80's and only then after my friend said he'd pay for my meal if I didn't like it. Fortunately there had been a big turn around in the interim and it was a decent meal, but I could have easily spent the rest of my life not eating at Wendy's.

My discounting of reviews continues to be validated.

I really don't understand this person. This site is called cruise critic and he or she doesn't care about reviews. What is the point? I cruise all of the major lines pretty much (never disney, no thanks) and they all have positive and negative aspects, strengths and weaknesses if you will. Carnival doesn't do the steakhouse experience well, but they have the best MDR and I love the sushi. You'd think we have castrated his prized bull or something for saying something negative. Give me a break.

I really don't understand this person. This site is called cruise critic and he or she doesn't care about reviews. What is the point? I cruise all of the major lines pretty much (never disney, no thanks) and they all have positive and negative aspects, strengths and weaknesses if you will. Carnival doesn't do the steakhouse experience well, but they have the best MDR and I love the sushi. You'd think we have castrated his prized bull or something for saying something negative. Give me a break.
I went through this last week on another thread with that person. You can't have a conversation with this person, it's their way or the highway. There is no middle ground.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app