Steakhouse Price Increase

Luckysll

I'd wager your local steakhouse's prices have gone up more than that in the past 5 years...

I hate to keep playing devil's advocate but the steakhouse experience has certainly dropped in price from 2008-2018, again I've fortunately or unfortunately had to go way more than I care to admit (I think they are WAY overpriced and mostly kind of the same/unoriginal). Maybe in the past year or two it has started to go back up again ("it's the economy stupid") but most restaurants seem to have increase at greater percentages. I blame young folks for not liking steakhouse (smart) while really liking the restaurant experience.

In fairness, I think grass fed meat costs less than USDA Prime meat and a lot of steakhouses are offering grass fed options in that time frame. Just food for thought.

I can't believe how many people just accept price increases as "fine with me" and "no big deal" and such! Quit making it obvious that you don't mind higher prices on Carnival by being a cheerleader. Keep telling them it's ok to raise prices why don't you? We should be telling John to kiss off and improve the MDR instead of having to pay $38 for a decent meal on top of cruise prices. I'm not paying for specialty restaurants and never will. Paying thousands of dollars to get on a cruise then having to pay an extra $38 for a decent piece of meat is stupid but many just eat it up and have Carnival and John laughing all the way to the bank.

Just because you don't object to something, doesn't mean you are a Carnival cheerleader. We cruise Carnival frequently - because I like them. But there are things that I don't like - actually preferring Princess because as a general rule, I have found that their higher priced cruises tend to draw a higher class of passenger (and by class I mean appropriate dress, decorum and manners).

Steakhouse caters to those of us that would be willing to pay $200 or more for a meal at someplace like Ruth's Chris or truly premier steakhouses in America, for 2 people. Until you have tried it, you cannot appreciate the quality of the meat and the meal that is served. When you have the experience to appreciate and recognize the value, even at $38 of the steakhouse, then perhaps you would understand. But until you are willing to pay that and $200 for a meal, then your position doesn't hold a lot of credibility.

Perhaps you should consider that the overall cost of cruising has remained constant for decades - despite an enormous cost of living increase across the board. All cruise lines have maintained their fares by reducing quality. Will you still expect to be housed and fed for a week for $500 pp in 10 years? At some point, we all have to except inflation, and this is an honest reflection of that.

I totally agree! That tiny piece of meat next to the eggs in the sea brunch meal cannot be compared to the 9oz thick filet mignon in the steakhouse, no way.

{Although I can compare a grape to a grape tomato; perhaps a grape to a grapefruit is a better fruit/size analogy?}

I purpose went away from an obvious fruit to fruit (though a tomato is a fruit) to emphasize how ridiculous the comparison was! LOL

I think its a nice night. We usually go once a cruise. But, being from the east coast: Lugers/Wollensky's it aint. But thats ok, those places run SLIGHTLY more than $38pp

I just went to Wollensky's website, $44 for a filet $53 for a N.Y., Caesar salad $14, Soup $12, appetizers $12-20 each. I would say $100 a head is a more than "slightly higher" and BTW, vegetables are extra as well and I forgot about dessert.

I just went to Wollensky's website, $44 for a filet $53 for a N.Y., Caesar salad $14, Soup $12, appetizers $12-20 each. I would say $100 a head is a more than "slightly higher" and BTW, vegetables are extra as well and I forgot about dessert.

I would imagine the poster was being understated/sarcastic.

And those are indeed prices typical of a high-end steakhouse.

I'd wager your local steakhouse's prices have gone up more than that in the past 5 years...
True, but you didn’t have to pay thousands of dollars just to enter the restaurant like getting on a cruise ship then pay another food bill on top of that. The problem is the more people are willing, almost gladly, to pay more for specialty restaurants the worse the food and selection will be in the “free” dining room. You see it talked about daily on CC and on every cruise lines. Diminishing MDR food quality and speciality dining being shoved in our faces. It’s only a matter of time before the only free food on Carnival will be Guys, Blue Iguana, and the buffet because so many are willing to pay $38 a piece on top of the cruise fare for steak potato and an app. I’ve done specialty restaurants but won’t make that mistake anymore or contribute to this money grab. These aren’t a deal at $38 but just a $38 meal at any steakhouse. These aren’t $200 meals. Trust me, Carnival isn’t giving you anything more than what’s its worth and what it costs them. Carnival isn’t going to LOSE money on every guest entering the steakhouse. They’d like you to believe that these meals are expensive, some people do, but they aren’t. Carnival makes money on everything it sells ..... Think about it.

True, but you didn’t have to pay thousands of dollars just to enter the restaurant like getting on a cruise ship then pay another food bill on top of that. The problem is the more people are willing, almost gladly, to pay more for specialty restaurants the worse the food and selection will be in the “free” dining room. You see it talked about daily on CC and on every cruise lines. Diminishing MDR food quality and speciality dining being shoved in our faces. It’s only a matter of time before the only free food on Carnival will be Guys, Blue Iguana, and the buffet because so many are willing to pay $38 a piece on top of the cruise fare for steak potato and an app. I’ve done specialty restaurants but won’t make that mistake anymore or contribute to this money grab. These aren’t a deal at $38 but just a $38 meal at any steakhouse. These aren’t $200 meals. Trust me, Carnival isn’t giving you anything more than what’s its worth and what it costs them. Carnival isn’t going to LOSE money on every guest entering the steakhouse. They’d like you to believe that these meals are expensive, some people do, but they aren’t. Carnival makes money on everything it sells ..... Think about it.

Of course they make money on everything they sell, that's why they're in business. The food in the steakhouse (or in any specialty restaurant) is supposed to be a step above what's offered elsewhere and from all that I've read the steakhouse meets that definition. I would say that the best thing going for the steakhouse food is that it's not as mass produced as the menu items in the MDR and that can make a difference in the final result.

Thank you Sparks. You nailed it

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Conspiracy theorists be damned, the food in the steakhouse is unrelated to the food in the MDR and Carnival certainly didn't make cutbacks to lure people to extra cost restaurants. All Carnival had to do was offer a free bottle of cheap wine.

Having to serve thousands daily, the food in the MDR is prepared n huge quantities with savings from economies of scale. The steak house food is cooked and prepared to order. Of course it costs more, and is more subject to fluctuations in prices.

Yes I was being sarcastic...hence the caps......:rolleyes:

Of course they make money on it. Its a business, if they didnt make money I wouldnt be happy as a stock holder. If you dont want to pay for the steakhouse, then eat elsewhere. If the food elsewhere doesnt appeal to you, cruise on another line, or go to an AI. Or stay at home.

Another thing the steakhouse has going for it is the ambience that many people talk about. It's a great place for an intimate meal with a spouse, or a family or a group of friends. That is not a selling point for me personally, but I can understand why it's attractive to some. I seriously doubt any line is reducing quality in the MDR in order to get people to go to a specialty restaurant.

But if it isn't fit to eat, it doesn't matter if it is $10 less or $100 less than the land based option.

I can't believe how many people just accept price increases as "fine with me" and "no big deal" and such! Quit making it obvious that you don't mind higher prices on Carnival by being a cheerleader. Keep telling them it's ok to raise prices why don't you? We should be telling John to kiss off and improve the MDR instead of having to pay $38 for a decent meal on top of cruise prices. I'm not paying for specialty restaurants and never will. Paying thousands of dollars to get on a cruise then having to pay an extra $38 for a decent piece of meat is stupid but many just eat it up and have Carnival and John laughing all the way to the bank.

One of the good things is it is an option. Those that want it fo there and those that don’t go somewhere else. Btw, which cruise line does not have this option?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Conspiracy theorists be damned, the food in the steakhouse is unrelated to the food in the MDR and Carnival certainly didn't make cutbacks to lure people to extra cost restaurants. All Carnival had to do was offer a free bottle of cheap wine.

Having to serve thousands daily, the food in the MDR is prepared n huge quantities with savings from economies of scale. The steak house food is cooked and prepared to order. Of course it costs more, and is more subject to fluctuations in prices.

Conspiracy theories about Carnival bashing here on cruisecritic??? Hahahahahaha

Sorry I was agreeing with tallandthensome

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Thanks. This isn't just a Carnival thing but on every line. You should have saeen the pushing for specialty restaurants on the new MSC Seaside when we were aboard in April. Their prices were high but if you talked to workers selling the specialty restaurants they would negotiate prices, take 20% off or more I should say If you'd give in. I know the specialty restaurants are a choice and nobody is forcing anyone to go. There is no doubt that the best food aboard cruise ships was in the MDR for decades. Now it's in specialty restaurants for more money. I've seen plenty of empty specialty restaurants on the ships I've sailed and maybe eventually building new ships with 15 restaurants nobody wants to pay for they'll get the idea that people don't want to spend more money on food but for other things. La Cucina was a ghost town when we were on Vista. It is indeed everyones own decision on how to spend their money and on what. I just down like the direction all lines are heading and how it's affecting food included in the fare like Lido Buffet and the MDR's.

103% Agree!!!

Lol, I knew we'd eventually agree on something [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Forums mobile app

Please do not start bringing up inedible and horrible......

Again, can't tell if you're being sarcastically dramatic or what but I'll bite.

Our food/experience was horrible, would be super rare for someone to want to go to a steakhouse to just enjoy the Caesar salad and dessert. The sushi at sea (can't remember what Carnival calls theres) is good and a good price so I can't say we don't do the extra charge restaurants. But the MDR is infinitely better than the two tastes I've had of the steakhouse. Tastes are subjective, some people say the MDR is gross, not us. Maybe a bit too much butter/oil in some dishes but overall, some of the best meals I have all year.

Hi

I have said it before. From when I first started reading cruise critic there had been discussions about diminishing food quality. I also have mentioned that someone might think after reading these continuous complaints, that these cruise lines are almost ready to just serve you a can of baked beans. Well that just isn't the case. Yes, it's not like it was ten years ago, but then nothing is, and I still can't lose weight on a cruise no matter how often I read about others who do. :) :rolleyes:

Now they hike the price of the steakhouse meal. It's still an option. Nobody is forced to eat there any more than they are forced to go on a Carnival cruise (or any other cruise). So, why so much whining and complaining about things you choose to do. Is it really just because some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about?

Again, can't tell if you're being sarcastically dramatic or what but I'll bite.

Our food/experience was horrible, would be super rare for someone to want to go to a steakhouse to just enjoy the Caesar salad and dessert. The sushi at sea (can't remember what Carnival calls theres) is good and a good price so I can't say we don't do the extra charge restaurants. But the MDR is infinitely better than the two tastes I've had of the steakhouse. Tastes are subjective, some people say the MDR is gross, not us. Maybe a bit too much butter/oil in some dishes but overall, some of the best meals I have all year.

OK folks, this is obviously a troll or someone who's never eaten a good steak. The quality of meat Carnival carries is excellent. My wife, who does not eat meat, said the Seabass was out of this world. The Lobster Bisque and French Onion Soup are to die for. We have never had a bad meal in the Steakhouse, wish I could say the same for the MDR. We don't even eat at the buffet.

OK folks, this is obviously a troll or someone who's never eaten a good steak. The quality of meat Carnival carries is excellent. My wife, who does not eat meat, said the Seabass was out of this world. The Lobster Bisque and French Onion Soup are to die for. We have never had a bad meal in the Steakhouse, wish I could say the same for the MDR. We don't even eat at the buffet.

You have the nerve to call me names and imply that I’m being insincere and then say your wife doesn’t eat meat but the seabass was excellent? Really rich statement there. You sound like that nutjob peter singer who claims to be vegan but eats bivalves:confused:

I stand by my statements. Based on our experience with the food, we wouldn’t eat it at any price, there’s too many good options in the MDR. I worked in Ag sales for 20+ years before going into finance and I know an excellent steak, the filet in the surf and turf and ribeyes were far from that. But getting served mushy lobster is one of the most disgusting things a person can be served, and me and my boys LOVE lobster.

Admittedly I did not sample the soup, not a fan of hot soups in the summer in general so cannot confirm or deny YOUR OPINION!