Flying overseas

Jaylie

Avoid alcohol and drink lots of water to reduce swelling. Bring something to elevate your foot slightly if you’re flying in coach and you’re not too long legged to straighten your leg. (I’ve seen an inflatable square pillow sold for this but I usually use my carry on.Take frequent walks.

I find the most room for my bad knee to be with the knee closest to the wall in a window seat. With all the electronics under the seats now, I often find aisle seats have less leg room than a window.

If swelling is a big issue, bring your own baggie and ask the flight attendant to fill with ice.

I just got back from Europe last night and I’ve found a way to get extra legroom without paying extra. I usually fly on airbus 300s so for me, the best seats are the 2 seat rows along the side of the plane. The best row being the 2 seat row directly behind the 3 seat rows. The aisle seat gives you a 45 degree angle to tuck your legs under the aisle seat in front of you. The only drawback is if you pick a 2 seat row near the washroom. The aisle then becomes the staging area for those waiting to use the washroom.

Edited by lamchops

Get a sleeper seat onBritish Air

You did not mention your destination in Europe.

Don't fly, sail ..... TA. :) and back.

Honestly, there are better choices going to Europe than BA. But it also depends on the aircraft. Business or First on a BA 747-400 is different than a 777-200 or an A380. Generally, though, as much as I end up on BA due to loyalty reasons, I find Swiss and Lufthansa to generally have better Business and First products, both hard and soft, on their longhaul flights.

Honestly, there are better choices going to Europe than BA. But it also depends on the aircraft. Business or First on a BA 747-400 is different than a 777-200 or an A380.

BA First on the B747-400 is way to crowded, but their new A-380 was vastly superior. Wouldn't book First again with BA on the old 747's, but more than happy to book on a A-380.

BA First on the B747-400 is way to crowded, but their new A-380 was vastly superior. Wouldn't book First again with BA on the old 747's, but more than happy to book on a A-380.

This is basically my opinion as well. I usually transit via ORD on my way to LHR and I love that they introduced the A380 on the ORD-LHR route.

Keep in mind the lay flat is only an optional position for the seat, which, in its normal seating position, typically is the largest seat class with most airlines. Not familiar with any seat class that is larger than first or business with the lay flat option. :confused:

Exactly.

On a wide body airplane, economy will be 9 or 10 across.

Premium economy will be 8 across.

Business class will be 6 or less across.

First will be 4 across.

Do the math. :D

Any frequent flyer knows that each airline does their own thing and has their own seat specs. One's person business class is another persons coach :). You mention Norwegian which does not even offer Business Class. Their largest Premium Economy seat is 19 inches wide with 46 inches of legroom. Most Business class seats are at least 21 inches wide with even more leg room when in an upright position. Our recent China Air Business Class seat was 22 inches wide and was 78 inches long when in lay flat mode. Upright I am not sure of the leg room but it was longer then 46 inches. Probably the nicest seat we had was on Delta's newest A350 where they were about 24 inches wide with over 80 inches of length in lay flat mode.

Your post has me confused. The Lay Flat seats are only "lay flat" if you put it in that position. Otherwise they are the widest seats on an aircraft with the most leg room. I have no idea what a "Premium Business Larger Seat" is....but then we have certainly not flown every airline or type aircraft. A good place to look for seat specs is on Seatguru.com where you can find specifics on seat width, pitch (leg room), etc.

A big issue is with US airlines where Business Class (sometimes called First Class on domestic aircraft) can vary from really lousy seats (that would not even compare to Premium Economy on airlines like Air New Zealand) to pretty decent lay flat seats on United's new Polaris Class. And the big issue with Polaris Class is that its only on some aircrafts...so one most know exactly what they are booking.

Hank

Also, Business Class inside Europe is NOT like US Domestic First or International Business.

Inside Europe (and sometimes to just outside Europe), Business is still 6 across seats, they just do not seat anyone in the middle seats. In SOME, there is a tray in the middle seat, that when folded down, moves the arm rests to add about 3 inches in between the arm rests for the occupied seats. They do tend to have a bit more pitch (distance between seats).

Call the reservation number for the airline and let them know you have a knee problem. Airlines often block the bulkhead seats for passengers with mobility issues. You can also ask about pre boarding and reserving a wheelchair or electric cart service between gates for lay overs

Call the reservation number for the airline and let them know you have a knee problem. Airlines often block the bulkhead seats for passengers with mobility issues. You can also ask about pre boarding and reserving a wheelchair or electric cart service between gates for lay overs
I think you will find that very few airlines will offer a specific seat on the basis of a random phone call. If you want a specific seat, do what the rest of us do, and pay for it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

This is basically my opinion as well. I usually transit via ORD on my way to LHR and I love that they introduced the A380 on the ORD-LHR route.

We got the A-380 in Vancouver a couple of years ago, but only during the summer cruise season (May to Oct). Rest of the year we are stuck with B747's. Another issue with the Vancouver flight is they use LHR T3, which I detest. Much prefer T5.