Flying overseas

Jaylie

Any tips for flying to Europe with a bum knee.

Make sure to get up a lot and keep moving, drink a lot of water, keep alcohol intake to a minimum. Isle seats are probably preferable since you can stretch out a little more than the middle or window seat.

Old strategy for couples was to get two aisle seats across from each other. But in main cabin these days you don't want to risk both of you sitting next to strangers anymore. So just spring for upgraded "comfort" seats, exit row seats or bulkhead seats (though I hate the tiny tray that pops out of the armrest in those) if you can't move up to the next cabin.

The vast majority of Europe-bound Transatlantic flights are overnight; for those just take two Excedrin PM and two Melatonin tablets after eating and hopefully the rest of the night will be just a blur.

When my daughter was living in London, I did many flights there. I learned that if I waited till I was at the airport, the cost of economy comfort on Delta was significantly reduced--typically from $149 to $35. Bulkhead seats can be bumped and you reseated to any available seat if someone with a service dog is flying. (this from a Delta rep).

As to what will work best for you, we don't know what the issues with your knee are. You might want to confer with your doctor or physical therapist as to whether a compression sleeve would be advantageous. On some airlines you can be given a "preferred" seat at no additional cost if you have a disability. This courtesy will also be extended to one traveling companion.

Order wheelchairs in the airports. Do not walk or stand on that concrete for any length of time....like clearing security, customs, etc. Save your knees for sightseeing. Aisle seat.....have the bad knee on the aisle side. Try to move every few hours, do use your pain killer or anti inflammatory of choice.

Make sure to get up a lot and keep moving, drink a lot of water, keep alcohol intake to a minimum. Isle seats are probably preferable since you can stretch out a little more than the middle or window seat.

We once thought aisle seats were the cats meow but not any more. People constantly walking by your chair and bumping your shoulder or arm on the arm rest. No feet stretched out in the aisle due to people walking back and forth. Only favor I see in an aisle seat is first one out into the aisle upon landing. Also, if you're in an aisle seat, the two people next to you will eventually get up a few times to use the rest room or to move around. We don't ever pick aisles seats for those reasons - been there! One more thing about aisle seats. A man was putting his carry on suitcase in the above storage right above me. He couldn't quite manage the suitcase and it fell nearly hitting me in the head! :eek:

The OP didn't say where he was flying from but we find Norwegian with new Dreamliners has very comfortable seats and enough legroom even for a bigger person like myself with a bum knee on one and bum ankle on the other leg

If the cabin attendants run carts into you then change your airline.to one which respects the passengers. That's the US ones out for a start I guess.

Norwegian don't fly from everywhere in the US to Europe but where they do fly the prices can be great. Especially if you just want a one way. Cheap!!!

If we want to fly to/from Buenos Aires one way we would fly Norwegian from Orlando to London and then Norwegian from London to Buenos Aires. Way cheaper usually than direct. Crazy - and longer - but true.

Pay extra for a checked bag but don't buy the tiny meal package would be my advice.

Order wheelchairs in the airports. Do not walk or stand on that concrete for any length of time....like clearing security, customs, etc. Save your knees for sightseeing. Aisle seat.....have the bad knee on the aisle side. Try to move every few hours, do use your pain killer or anti inflammatory of choice.

In addition to the "standard" medications I have been supplementing them by purchasing two airline bottles of liquor part way through the flight. It actually helps.

We once thought aisle seats were the cats meow but not any more. People constantly walking by your chair and bumping your shoulder or arm on the arm rest. No feet stretched out in the aisle due to people walking back and forth. Only favor I see in an aisle seat is first one out into the aisle upon landing. Also, if you're in an aisle seat, the two people next to you will eventually get up a few times to use the rest room or to move around. We don't ever pick aisles seats for those reasons - been there! One more thing about aisle seats. A man was putting his carry on suitcase in the above storage right above me. He couldn't quite manage the suitcase and it fell nearly hitting me in the head! :eek:

While I do still book aisle seats I understand your issues with them. However, one you forgot is the "joy" of having some guy's crotch in your face as he fights with the overhead luggage. Bleh...

Fly Business Class in a lay flat seat :). Princess EZAIR often has decent Business Class fares and keeping that knee elevated for most of the flight will likely pay dividends.

Hank

Agree that this is the best advice. First or Business class with the lay flat seats will be the best way of being comfortable. Given the concerns raised with a knee issue, if it were me, that would be my choice.

Fly Business Class in a lay flat seat :). Princess EZAIR often has decent Business Class fares and keeping that knee elevated for most of the flight will likely pay dividends.

Hank

Totally agree. A number of years ago, for flights of 5 hrs or more, we decided to no longer fly economy. Only go First or Business.

In addition to the "standard" medications I have been supplementing them by purchasing two airline bottles of liquor part way through the flight. It actually helps.

While I do still book aisle seats I understand your issues with them. However, one you forgot is the "joy" of having some guy's crotch in your face as he fights with the overhead luggage. Bleh...

LOL! That cracked me up. But yes, that's another one to add to my list. Thanks for the laugh!:D

Aisle seats are probably preferable since you can stretch out a little more than the middle or window seat.

As long as that stretching out does not mean putting your foot or a leg in the aisle. Too many people walking in the aisle as well as all the service carts used by the cabin attendants means your foot/leg will be bumped (and hard) many times.

I have Muscular Dis. and have to wear full leg to the knee AFOs which are impossible to remove in the seat or anywhere on flight in economy.

I take some Oxy before boarding and again ever 7 hrs in flight for the constant pain this causes and have found that the med. helps with my longer flights. Believe me, I can feel your pain.

That happened to me once but it actually did hit my head and the passenger was the flight attendant!

Word of warning about the 'lay flat first class' ... if you happen to be a big guy you may find these to not be big enuf for comfort. Son is a big fella' not 'fat' but built like a linebacker for the Packers .... tall and big shoulders. Recently got a free upgrade to 1/c on a flight from US to Germany and hated the lay flat!!! Not 'long enuf' or wide enuf ..... Offered again on his return he kept his 'premium' / business larger seat which was more comfortable for him. Lufthansa btw ... he works for a large German company and they often get upgraded!

Personally I have had a hip replaced and long sitting and lack of movement results in discomfort for me too. I fly NORWEGIAN PREMIUM when I go to EU .... price can be FANTASTIC and premium get the bigger seats with more legroom and more recline, free booze and food and checked bags.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Word of warning about the 'lay flat first class' ... if you happen to be a big guy you may find these to not be big enuf for comfort. Son is a big fella' not 'fat' but built like a linebacker for the Packers .... tall and big shoulders. Recently got a free upgrade to 1/c on a flight from US to Germany and hated the lay flat!!! Not 'long enuf' or wide enuf ..... Offered again on his return he kept his 'premium' / business larger seat which was more comfortable for him. Lufthansa btw ... he works for a large German company and they often get upgraded!

Personally I have had a hip replaced and long sitting and lack of movement results in discomfort for me too. I fly NORWEGIAN PREMIUM when I go to EU .... price can be FANTASTIC and premium get the bigger seats with more legroom and more recline, free booze and food and checked bags.

Keep in mind the lay flat is only an optional position for the seat, which, in its normal seating position, typically is the largest seat class with most airlines. Not familiar with any seat class that is larger than first or business with the lay flat option. :confused:

Any frequent flyer knows that each airline does their own thing and has their own seat specs. One's person business class is another persons coach :). You mention Norwegian which does not even offer Business Class. Their largest Premium Economy seat is 19 inches wide with 46 inches of legroom. Most Business class seats are at least 21 inches wide with even more leg room when in an upright position. Our recent China Air Business Class seat was 22 inches wide and was 78 inches long when in lay flat mode. Upright I am not sure of the leg room but it was longer then 46 inches. Probably the nicest seat we had was on Delta's newest A350 where they were about 24 inches wide with over 80 inches of length in lay flat mode.

Your post has me confused. The Lay Flat seats are only "lay flat" if you put it in that position. Otherwise they are the widest seats on an aircraft with the most leg room. I have no idea what a "Premium Business Larger Seat" is....but then we have certainly not flown every airline or type aircraft. A good place to look for seat specs is on Seatguru.com where you can find specifics on seat width, pitch (leg room), etc.

A big issue is with US airlines where Business Class (sometimes called First Class on domestic aircraft) can vary from really lousy seats (that would not even compare to Premium Economy on airlines like Air New Zealand) to pretty decent lay flat seats on United's new Polaris Class. And the big issue with Polaris Class is that its only on some aircrafts...so one most know exactly what they are booking.

Hank