Alcohol % limit on cruise lines

Ny Alesund

As the title suggests, is there a limit as to how high the content can be for alcohol that you buy offshore and want to bring back on board? For instance, airlines prevent you from buying alcohol that is in excess of 70% for safety reasons (fire hazard). I wanted to see if anyone knows whether cruise lines have such a policy to avoid the potential for confiscation on my next voyage.

It seems clear to me that you aren't asking about bringing the overproof booze on at embarkation, but at one of the Ports of Call. Whether they would allow it to stay on board (held by security until disembarkation), I don't know. That's probably a question to ask the cruise line directly.

It seems clear to me that you aren't asking about bringing the overproof booze on at embarkation, but at one of the Ports of Call. Whether they would allow it to stay on board (held by security until disembarkation), I don't know. That's probably a question to ask the cruise line directly.

That's how I read (interpreted) the original post.

I believe there may be some confusion with what I have asked based on the responses. I am not talking about bringing alcohol on board for consumption during the duration of the cruise. Rather I am inquiring about alcohol that I may want to buy while ashore at a port of call (barbados, st. lucia, antigua, ect). I know they will confiscate the alcohol to hold for the remainder of the cruise. What I am asking is whether or not there is a limit to how strong the rum proof can be to even be allowed on the ship.

...I am not talking about bringing alcohol on board for consumption during the duration of the cruise. Rather I am inquiring about alcohol that I may want to buy while ashore at a port of call (barbados, st. lucia, antigua, ect).

I knew what you were asking - you were clear about that in your original post. I believe some members just read it too quickly before responding. ;)

We have cruised several lines and have never had a problem with any % of alcohol. It is always turned in and a receipt given to us. A word of advice: take a picture of your bottles before surrendering them, especially if they are expensive or "mean something" to you. :)

We almost always purchase liquor in St Thomas or St Martin. We usually buy a "box" which is delivered to the ship and held and delivered to our cabin the last night of the cruise. We've never been asked about or had any issue with the alcohol % content and we've never had the box opened by ship's staff to see what was inside.