First and last day cruise question - what to do with luggage?

Sky111

Hi guys, new to the board and finally booked a cruise. I may have gone a bit overboard (no pun intended) but found what seems to be an amazing voyage to the Mediterranean several stops in and around Italy.

So my questions are pertaining to first and last days on the ship in particular our baggage.

We will be flying in probably land late morning and before we can board the vessel. Is there a place we can safely lock up our baggage near the docks? I don't want to spend my first day in Venice wheeling around luggage.

Then it comes to last day on the ship we arrive in Barcelona at 8AM. Am I supposed to grab my gear, settle my expenses and leave? What do I do with my bags before having to board the flight?

What do you guys do?

thanks

On the first day of the cruise, go to the ship and drop your bags with the porters at your cruise terminal. They will take the bags, give them to ship crewmembers who will deliver them to your stateroom.

Hi guys, new to the board and finally booked a cruise. I may have gone a bit overboard (no pun intended) but found what seems to be an amazing voyage to the Mediterranean several stops in and around Italy.

So my questions are pertaining to first and last days on the ship in particular our baggage.

We will be flying in probably land late morning and before we can board the vessel. Is there a place we can safely lock up our baggage near the docks? I don't want to spend my first day in Venice wheeling around luggage.

Then it comes to last day on the ship we arrive in Barcelona at 8AM. Am I supposed to grab my gear, settle my expenses and leave? What do I do with my bags before having to board the flight?

What do you guys do?

thanks

I would suggest arriving in Venice a couple of days before your cruise begins. Two reasons: to have time to recover from any unexpected flight delays, and to enjoy one of the most amazing cities in the world (probably our favorite city). The last thing you want is to miss your ship due to weather, equipment breakdown, or other unexpected issues that can crop up. By staying in Venice for a night or two, you will then be able to drop off your luggage at the hotel, explore this amazing city, and on the day of the cruise, just transfer from the hotel to the ship.

At the ship, give your luggage to the porters and you will next see them either inside your room or just outside your door in the hallway. This will take a few hours because of the thousands of bags that need to be delivered. Make sure your valuables, tickets, passports, medication, and anything important be kept in your carry-on, which you will have with you until the rooms open, typically around 1:30 on many cruise lines.

On the evening of the last full day, you will place your luggage outside the door to be picked up by the ship's crew. You will see them again in the arrival hall just before customs and immigration after you leave the ship. Just make sure you don't pack your clothes you plan to wear the next day. People have been know to exit the ship in bathrobes because they packed everything away. You will have to hang onto your bags until your flight. Again, I would suggest staying a couple of days in Barcelona, another fabulous city (also one of our favorites). That way you can simply drop your luggage off at the hotel and start exploring.

Usually, you will not have to settle your account. You will receive a copy of your account expenses the night before, or they will be available for review on your TV. If nothing is amiss, you just leave the ship at the time you are given. No need to settle your bill at the front desk (which will be very crowded) as the accounting department will simply apply the balance amount to your charge card you submitted either on line or when checking in.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by sloopsailor

Follow Sloopsailor's advice, and you won't go wrong.

Flying into your embarkation port on the day of sailing is a huge gamble, and is foolhardy unless there is a very compelling reason for doing so. Flying into an overseas embarkation port on the same day as sailing is just plain nuts.

It's not just the possibility of problems causing a flight delay that could cause you to miss the ship. You're also going to be dealing with jet lag that will probably make your arrival day a fuzzy blur. Plus, as Sloopsailor rightly points out, why would you not want a day or 2 to explore one of the most unique cities in the world?

On your disembarkation day you are expected to be out of your cabin by 8:00 and off the ship as soon as possible. The crew has to clean and prepare the ship for all of the new passengers waiting to board. Plan to stay at least an extra day to see something of the city. Or, if you must fly home that day, book one of the departure day excursions that includes an airport drop off. They will take care of your luggage for you.

Just a comment...There will not be any customs/immigration in Barcelona because you will be coming from one Schengen country into another. Open borders, and all that. Unless you are landing in Venice at 6am, by the time you gather your luggage at Marco Polo and find transportation into Venice and to the port, they will already be boarding. Do assume that the time you sail is the time you have to be aboard. You should be aboard a couple of hours before sailing, and attend the safety drill. EM

...We will be flying in probably land late morning and before we can board the vessel....

Unbelievably bad idea. Is it already booked? Can you change your flight and come in the day before? PLEASE, we experienced cruisers beg you - do not fly in the day of the cruise, especially to Europe. You are leaving yourself no wiggle room if something does go wrong (through no fault of your own).

What do you guys do?

thanks

NEVER EVER NEVER fly to an embarkation port on the same day as you cruise out. Gone are the days of "next flight out" rebookings when some issue (yours or the airline's) leaves you stranded. Yes, that rebooking might be two days (rather than two hours) later. And, if you're making international connections, layovers should ideally be no less than 3 hours and pick major hub cities for the connection.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No matter where we embark a ship, we always fly to the port 2 or 3 days early. If this is your first time in Venice, you will want to spend some time there. Hope you can still change your flight times.

During the cruise you will be given a form to complete to inform the ship of your departure plans. Then you will get a letter on the last full day of the cruise explaining what time to place your luggage out in the hallway -- with tags on it. If you have a late departing flight, you might consider taking one of the ship's excursions where they store your luggage in the bus's hold and then drop you off at the airport.

Enjoy your 25 anniversary.

What do you guys do?

thanks

Hi

Hopefully your plans aren't set in stone. One thing that will be consistent in the replies you receive it that you should arrive early.

However, just the fact that you are travelling so far especially the flight to Venice where you are going to be losing many hours, will impact your first day.

Staying a day or two in Barcelona after this wonderful cruise should be considered as well. With Venice being your departure port and Barcelona being at the end of your cruise, why would you not take advantage of the fact that you are in these beautiful cities to not enjoy them. If time is your main concern, I would suggest you make every effort to allow for a few extra days. It would be well worth it.

You very likely could have no delays that would impact your connections. If no changes can be made, make sure you have adequate travel insurance that will help you for possible delays, lost luggage etc..

This site has excellent threads that speak specifically about each of your port of calls, as well as threads that would help you with any questions specific to the cruise line you are sailing on. If you go to the "boards home" page, scrolling down you will find these links.

Most of the time people that have issues with cruises/cruise lines, have the issues because of things they don't know or didn't consider. It is wise to ask first before making decisions or spending money on anything you are in any way uncertain about. The people on this site are very helpful and often more accurate than the cruise lines telephone reps.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I'm going to echo everybody else;

Do not fly overseas the same day you embark. Don't do that to yourself. If anything goes wrong with those flights, you miss the cruise.

In addition, you won't have time to actually see Venice. You'll barely have time to find your way to the ship in a jet lagged haze. Maybe some people manage to get off of an overseas flight rested and eager to explore, but I'm not one of them. I crawl off the plane able to function enough to make it through customs and to the hotel - and that's it.

If your luggage doesn't arrive, you have no time to deal with it. You aren't allowing time for your luggage to catch up to you. Or, if the luggage doesn't arrive, to shop for essentials before you board.

Jeez... if you google "unnecessary piling on" this thread should be at the top of the results.

How do we know that the OP's cruise is not one of the many that begins with an OVERNIGHT in Venice?

As noted, for a late morning arrival in Venice they can just take their bags straight to the ship, drop them off and return to the city if they wish.

As for disembarkation in Barcelona, most direct flights back to the USA leave late morning so there really is no time to do anything but take your bags directly to the airport. If the OP ever returns (if I were them there's no way I would acknowledge all the hostility on this thread by returning) they could tell us their exactly flight time for a better answer than that.

ETA: OP has now (wisely) begun posting to their roll call after this their very first post on Cruise Critic was ambushed. They are on Oceania Rivera May 25, 2019 which does begin with the overnight in Venice.

Jeez... if you google "unnecessary piling on" this thread should be at the top of the results.

How do we know that the OP's cruise is not one of the many that begins with an OVERNIGHT in Venice?

As noted, for a late morning arrival in Venice they can just take their bags straight to the ship, drop them off and return to the city if they wish.

As for disembarkation in Barcelona, most direct flights back to the USA leave late morning so there really is no time to do anything but take your bags directly to the airport. If the OP ever returns (if I were them there's no way I would acknowledge all the hostility on this thread by returning) they could tell us their exactly flight time for a better answer than that.

ETA: OP has now (wisely) begun posting to their roll call after this their very first post on Cruise Critic was ambushed. They are on Oceania Rivera May 25, 2019 which does begin with the overnight in Venice.

How fortunate that the OPs cruise begins with an overnight in Venice. If his plane arrives late, or his luggage fails to arrive with him, then he still has a chance that the ship won't sail without them.

But arriving on the same day is still not a good idea, and you know it. There was no piling on or hostility by the PPs. There was simply STRONG recommendations, with reasons given, and repetition for emphasis. There is a reason why so many people posted the same thing- because the OP is clearly new to cruising, and arrival time is an important consideration that he likely hasn't had to factor into typical land vacations.

Yes, our ship departs the following evening. We have a scheduled embark time on Friday at around 1 PM and the ship does not depart until Saturday Evening. I have not confirmed flights yet but will extend if I can. Thanks for the tips.