Other Western Caribbean Mexican Ports

VolzCruiser

So why are there no other Western Caribbean Mexican Ports other than ones on the Yucatan Peninsula? I would think it might be a nice break from just those.

If you're bored, there is a bigger, better ocean on the left coast. How about the Mexican Riviera on a cruise from California.

Better still: how about French Polynesia?

Name some. What other ports have the docking or tendering facilities, as well as the infrastructure and tourist capacities to handle an extra few thousand tourists per day.

Or live on the wild side and sail on a different Caribbean route.

Name some. What other ports have the docking or tendering facilities, as well as the infrastructure and tourist capacities to handle an extra few thousand tourists per day.

Or live on the wild side and sail on a different Caribbean route.

To the first part of your response that is what I am trying to find out what other ports are there and hoping someone could shed some light on the the subject hence I asked the question.

As far sailing different Caribbean route I have cruised on several and actually have one coming up in Nov.

This was just a question to get some info not snarky remarks

Try a different cruise line and you will find some different ports. Of course, they might be ports created for that cruise line...EM

I did look and couldn't find any and maybe I am not looking at the right ones. can you please suggest some that do?

To the first part of your response that is what I am trying to find out what other ports are there and hoping someone could shed some light on the the subject hence I asked the question.

As far sailing different Caribbean route I have cruised on several and actually have one coming up in Nov.

This was just a question to get some info not snarky remarks

Here's a list of the various ports of call in Mexico:

Mexico

East coast

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

Isla Mujeres,Mexico

Progreso,Mexico

Acapulco,Mexico

West coast

Cabo SanLucas, Mexico

Ensenada,Mexico

Guaymas,Mexico

Huatulco,Mexico

La Paz,Mexico

Loreto,Mexico

Manzanillo,Mexico

Mazatlan,Mexico

PuertoChiapas, Mexico

PuertoVallarta, Mexico

Topolobampo,Mexico

Zihuatanejo(Ixtapa), Mexico

Those are the ones set up to handle cruise ships.

The ones you have listed for the East Coast are the norms and I was hoping that maybe someone might know why there wasn't more for the east coast as it seems there are plenty of ports. Didn't know if it was a crime thing. Just a lack of any interesting or beaches in the area. Maybe there isn't much different than what is already offered and so they don't feel the need to put more into the ports to lure ships there.

Thanks to all for their responses.

The water in the Gulf is not as clear as the Caribbean I think, so it's not good for things like snorkeling. We stopped in Progresso and it was a good port, had a lot of fun. But the water was not clear at all. Have been to Cozumel lots, and next year going to Costa Maya. Your best beaches are going to on the Caribbean side of Mexico, from Cancun south.

We did one day in Costa Maya a couple of years ago. Rather than stay in town or right at the port, we went up (down??) the coast a little bit to a resort called Almaplena. It was gorgeous, very secluded. The water there was quite rough, a pretty significant drop off (over waist deep just a few feet off the shore) so it would not be good for snorkeling, if that's what you're wondering. It may be different right in town!

So why are there no other Western Caribbean Mexican Ports other than ones on the Yucatan Peninsula? I would think it might be a nice break from just those.

Besides Mexico, the only others I can think of that cruise ships normally visit are:

Grand Cayman

Jamaica (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, and Falmouth)

Belize (Belize City and Harvest Cay)

Roatan, Honduras (Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole)

In Belize, Belize City is a tender port. There are some beaches on the outer cays where you can book excursions to through the ships or privately. Harvest Cay is fairly new and it's Norwegian's private stop

In Roatan, Mahogany Bay is Carnival's and other ships stop in Coxen Hole. The two aren't far from each other.

Some western itineraries also include a stop in Key West, but that isn't really "Caribbean".

Since we've mainly been on Carnival, I do know that Carnival offers a few "Journey" cruises, which are longer cruises (usually 9 - 14 days) which are "throw back" that offer some of the activities on the ship that were popular in the 80's and 90's, and have stops at ports that aren't on the typical itineraries. There have been some that do partial Panama Canal cruises with stops at places such as Cartagena, Columbia; partial Panama Canal; Limon, Costa Rica.

Well, Wind Surf will be there Feb 2020. Twice. Once as part of a 56 night Grand Caribbean Adventure, and once on an 11 night Stars of the Greater Antilles.

Or maybe just once on Feb19th :evilsmile: