free complimentary upgrade

shof515

Is it normal for princess to give you a free complimentary upgrade without any prior notice? I am sailing on the Regal and i just received a new booking confirmation that says i was given a free complimentary upgrade. I booked directly with Princess, i am surprised they can not call me to confirm if want to the upgrade or not. The noticed i received says that i can call within 48 hours but when i checked my sailing it says all cabins is sold out, i doubt i will get my original back as it might be too late if i try to switch

Is it normal for princess to give you a free complimentary upgrade without any prior notice? I am sailing on the Regal and i just received a new booking confirmation that says i was given a free complimentary upgrade. I booked directly with Princess, i am surprised they can not call me to confirm if want to the upgrade or not. The noticed i received says that i can call within 48 hours but when i checked my sailing it says all cabins is sold out, i doubt i will get my original back as it might be too late if i try to switch

When you get these notices you need to call right away.

First come first served.

Seeing cabins online has nothing to do with it as Princess has cabins behind the scenes and is making moves all the time up to sailing.

Should be calling Princess! :o

Is it too late to call them? Are you within the 48 hours? This next Cruise we're going to be on next month we booked a mini-suite because there were no mid-ship Suites. Even though I would like a suite upgrade I didn't want to be aft due to my motion sickness. So my vacation planner through princess said she put in the file to notify her first of an upgrade and she would call me directly. We did end up changing to Mid aft penthouse suite in the end. But I was glad she said she could be notified and call me because I don't check my email that often.

Is it too late to call them? Are you within the 48 hours? This next Cruise we're going to be on next month we booked a mini-suite because there were no mid-ship Suites. Even though I would like a suite upgrade I didn't want to be aft due to my motion sickness. So my vacation planner through princess said she put in the file to notify her first of an upgrade and she would call me directly. We did end up changing to Mid aft penthouse suite in the end. But I was glad she said she could be notified and call me because I don't check my email that often.

Having a good planner really helps - Mine called me a few Saturdays ago to tell me that a new promo would save me $ and did I want to switch promos.

If you do not like your new cabin call Princess now. To answer your first question all bookings default to upgrade. If you do not want an upgrade you have to have your booking marked no upgrade, or you can also have it marked meta upgrade which means the next cat. of cabin, example balcony to mini suite, mini suite to full suite.

OP, it's happened to us twice. I found an e-mail from Princess stating that we'd been upgraded. Both times we did not like their definition of "upgrade." Mrs. XBGuy is the exact opposite of at least one of the previous posters. We usually book a balcony cabin as far forward as possible. She does not consider a mid-ship balcony cabin to be an upgrade. On both occasions, I called Princess, and we were returned to the originally booked cabin.

So, yes, if you are displeased, call Princess and I'll bet that they will take care of you.

i already called princess. my original cabin is no longer available but was able to move to a better location. Still surprised how this happens automatically without prior notification. On other cruise lines, an upgrade is optional and is something you have to pay for.

Princess gave me my first ever upgrade on our upcoming cruise. Same thing. Received a email stating we had been upgraded from our balcony cabin to a mini-suite one deck down and further aft. I contacted Princess directly to confirm everything. We are very, very happy with the upgrade can't wait for the next 3 weeks to pass.

i already called princess. my original cabin is no longer available but was able to move to a better location. Still surprised how this happens automatically without prior notification. On other cruise lines, an upgrade is optional and is something you have to pay for.

Princess offers both "Upgrades," which are complimentary, and "Upsells," in which, you are offered a different, presumably, better, cabin, for additional $. It sounds like notification for upsells is via telephone whereas notification for upgrades is, as you know, by e-mail.

Have a great cruise.

You could have marked your booking , Do Not Upgrade. People who book Princess online will not see that option as you must call Princess to mark that . A good TA would have asked you about accepting upgrade.

Other cruise lines also give complementary upgrades but don’t have the “decline” option that Princess has.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess offers both "Upgrades," which are complimentary, and "Upsells," in which, you are offered a different, presumably, better, cabin, for additional $. It sounds like notification for upsells is via telephone whereas notification for upgrades is, as you know, by e-mail.

Have a great cruise.

Upsells have been done via e-mail for the past 2 years at least - keep an eye on e-mails after final payment date for the upsells - we have taken upsells from mini's to full suites for the last 3 years

We have had two free upgrades. The first time was on our first ever cruise and we had booked through a TA. He notified us of he upgrade. The second time I didn't receive any notice at all. I was booked directly with Princess and hadn't moved it to my TA. I was still working and all we could fit in was a 4 day coastal cruise on Crown. I noticed the changed cabin on my personalizer a couple of weeks or so before the cruise. We were upgraded from an inside, forward cabin on Lido deck to a handicapped accessible balcony cabin on Caribe deck. Now that's what I call an upgrade! :D

From your signature, it appears you are new to Princess and maybe to the Princess board. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum here. Princess considers any cabin to be an upgrade, if it is a higher category cabin or even a more expensive cabin in the same category. When booking a cabin, the default is that you will accept an upgrade unless you have it marked as “do not upgrade.”

Next year we have a mini suite booked on the Ruby. Our favorite mini on this ship is E731, which we booked. But, Princess shows that as a lower class mini suite. To assure they don’t upgrade us, we have the cabin marked as do not upgrade.

Upsells have been done via e-mail for the past 2 years at least - keep an eye on e-mails after final payment date for the upsells - we have taken upsells from mini's to full suites for the last 3 years

Thanks for the clarification.

(y)

Having a good planner really helps - Mine called me a few Saturdays ago to tell me that a new promo would save me $ and did I want to switch promos.

Mine went one better, switched me anyway when she couldn’t get onto us, all we lost was a bottle of wine (she knew we didn’t drink) and specialty restaurant ($58) but saved us $200 and picked up $150 OBC.

I suddenly recalled the surprise upgrade I received about 10 years ago and knew nothing about until I arrived at room. I was booked solo in a mini suite. The woman agent I checked in with said nothing but upgraded me apparently on the spot to a full Suite. Needless to say I wasn’t upset. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though we have cruised many times with Princess we have never been offered an upgrade or upsell. A friend was given an upgrade on their very first cruise with Princess. If you mark your booking 'do not upgrade' does that only indicate to Princess that you do not want it done automatically or does it also tell them that you do not want to be OFFERED an upgrade or upsell?

We have been offered a free upgrade from a Lido balcony to an Emerald deck mini-suite once five years ago. It happened about 15 days before the cruise. We just chalked it up to a once in a lifetime offer. We've had a couple of up-sell offers after that and have declined them because they didn't make any sense cost wise.

Even though we have cruised many times with Princess we have never been offered an upgrade or upsell. A friend was given an upgrade on their very first cruise with Princess. If you mark your booking 'do not upgrade' does that only indicate to Princess that you do not want it done automatically or does it also tell them that you do not want to be OFFERED an upgrade or upsell?

We have had a couple, but only from B2 to B1 type

And one offer to go from a Balcony with the double size balcony to a mini suite. The total floor space including balcony was the same, the location was worse, so we stuck with what we had carefully chosen.

We have had a couple, but only from B2 to B1 type

And one offer to go from a Balcony with the double size balcony to a mini suite. The total floor space including balcony was the same, the location was worse, so we stuck with what we had carefully chosen.

Yes, you always need to look at the pluses and minuses of the offer before accepting. We were fine going with our Emerald deck, over the stage, mini-suite. Why? Because there wasn't enough noise after 10:45 pm which was supposed to be the negative for the location and after checking out the Lido cabin location in person we were very thankful we got the upgrade. Glad we didn't pay attention to the naysayers about the cabin location that we got. As always, YMMV.