Anxiety

Humhill

Hi All,

I've cruised many times before and it's one of my favorite things to do. However, I have anxiety and tried going off my meds for a while (with my Dr's help) but I had to go back on them and it came to a head a couple weeks ago. We've adjusted meds and I'm much better now than I even was a couple weeks ago.

This is my dilemma/question. I'm worried while I'm on the cruise that my anxiety will peak again and it'll be uncontrollable. Where I'm constantly having an anxiety attack. Are the ship Dr.s prepared for that? If I go see them, would they have something to give me and calm me down? What I take now is long term medication, not for acute attacks. I'm working with a therapist to learn coping skills. I just want to know that if I go into panic on the 2nd day, that I wont have to suffer through it the whole trip.

First of all my heart goes out to you!! I have suffered from agoraphobia and panic disorder for years.

While it may not be the case with you I have found cruising to be a totally relaxing experience. On my very first cruise I was anxious right up until the time I stepped on the ship, but once onboard I literally never thought about it again.

I am sure the cruise doctors would be able to help you out should the need arise. But I am betting you will be fine!

Best of luck to you!!

Highly suggest talking to your doctor before the cruise and taking any necessary meds with you.

Doctors on board are more like emergency room physicians; without knowing you and your medical history not sure if they would prescribe meds.

Also, have you considered costs involved? Do you have medical insurance that would work on the ship?

I just want to know that if I go into panic on the 2nd day, that I wont have to suffer through it the whole trip.

You wouldn't have to suffer through it for the whole trip.

Is there a reason why your physician would not prescribe a med to help you through an acute anxiety attack? If there is, then the ship's doctor could administer something to help. But if this turns into something other than a single, limited event, the doctor may have you removed to an on shore facility at the next port, for your own safety.

Hi All,

I've cruised many times before and it's one of my favorite things to do. However, I have anxiety and tried going off my meds for a while (with my Dr's help) but I had to go back on them and it came to a head a couple weeks ago. We've adjusted meds and I'm much better now than I even was a couple weeks ago.

This is my dilemma/question. I'm worried while I'm on the cruise that my anxiety will peak again and it'll be uncontrollable. Where I'm constantly having an anxiety attack. Are the ship Dr.s prepared for that? If I go see them, would they have something to give me and calm me down? What I take now is long term medication, not for acute attacks. I'm working with a therapist to learn coping skills. I just want to know that if I go into panic on the 2nd day, that I wont have to suffer through it the whole trip.

No advice .. just saying some of us who have had bad panic attacks understand your concerns :hearteyes:

Hi

I agree with Mom, if you had an acute attack that couldn't be controlled with the meds or the coping techniques you have learned, the on board physician would more than likely have you transferred to an island facility.

I would have to feel very comfortable that my coping mechanisms whether medications or other were in place and effective before I determined that I could travel. What would you do if you had a panic attack on an airplane and couldn't calm yourself? Most definitely you need to speak with your doctor and you need to feel confident that you can travel safely.

good luck

Probably best to develop an action plan with medications and coping strategies for both long term and acute attacks with your doctor before the cruise. Take medications for a possible acute attack with you.

Should you visit the ship's doctor, they will only know the history you provide them. They may try meds, but if still unstable, you should be prepared to be landed ashore for treatment.

Highly recommend that you talk to your doctor before leaving and get meds just in case. Another doctor, especially internationally, will be very resistant to giving you a controlled substance. And just because you have cruised before and enjoy it, doesn't mean that you won't have more stress and/or anxiety attack. Good luck!

Panic attacks are the worst.....I agree with the others take your meds with you, they generally work quickly. You will have a ships cabin to isolate yourself during the attack until it passes and learn to do square breathing...it helps a lot. Remember the fear of the attack is worse than the attack itself. There is a good article on it in this months Reader's Digest on anxiety. I am not minimizing this....I suffer too, but life isn't a dress rehearsal, if you are going to have a panic attack it will happen whether you are on a ship or at the store. Decide for yourself what your triggers are and if you can cope with a trip, vacations aren't for everyone and it isn't a big deal if you skip this cruise. Blessings to you on your decision.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

My Dr has been hesitant to prescribe anything for acute attacks, he's concerned about the side effects and that they're addictive. These are also things I've been concerned about too.

I have started seeing a therapist and am learning some coping skills. I'm just worried it's too big of a step too soon. One of my triggers is being in a situation that has caused anxiety before. I just don't want to go and be miserable, then never want to go again. I love cruising so much!

I've been leaning towards cancelling and going in the spring when things are better. I know it will be, I'm just in an adjustment period right now.

So that brings on another question, if I get a note from the dr, will we get our money back?

So that brings on another question, if I get a note from the dr, will we get our money back?

It depends on whether you paid a refundable deposit, when the cruise is due to depart and/or the terms of any travel insurance you have taken out.

If already paid in full, it will depend on the terms and conditions of your policy, specifically the pre-existing conditions clause. If you have only paid a deposit it will depend on the cruise line's cancellation policy.

A further consideration - potential loss of funds if you cancel is at least a known maximum sum (what you already paid for the cruise and travel to/from it). Have an incident while you're away though and if your meds have been adjusted in the recent past, it almost certainly wipes out any chance of making a medical insurance claim for the costs incurred should you end up needing the onboard physicians help or any shoreside facility while you're on vacation.

I've yet to see any medical policy, even one with pre-existing condition coverage, that did not require a minimum period of stability for those conditions - i.e. no change in type or dosage of meds, no recent operation, no changes in how severe your condition is basically. Most common term I've seen is six months, sometimes three, sometimes a full year - whatever coverage you have, check the terms carefully and weigh that against possible loss of cruise deposits, flight change fees etc. Cheapest/safest option may be to bump to a later date far enough ahead that any changes of your treatment regime will be X months in the past at time of travel, where X = at least as long as your medical insurance 'stability' clause.

Best of luck, hope you find what works for you best soon and can enjoy cruising for many years to come.

My Dr has been hesitant to prescribe anything for acute attacks, he's concerned about the side effects and that they're addictive. These are also things I've been concerned about too.

I have started seeing a therapist and am learning some coping skills. I'm just worried it's too big of a step too soon. One of my triggers is being in a situation that has caused anxiety before. I just don't want to go and be miserable, then never want to go again. I love cruising so much!

I've been leaning towards cancelling and going in the spring when things are better. I know it will be, I'm just in an adjustment period right now.

I totally feel your pain. I too suffer but fortunately my Dr understands that there are times I need an RX so I can breathe.

Please get yourself a new DR. ...one that can actually empathize with true anxiety.

Best of luck to you!

Relax, chill out, this is a fun vacation. Save the panic for when you get home. If you constantly think you're going to flip it's going to happen. If so, what's the worst thing that can happen? It's happened before and you survived so just make a joke of it and keep on trucking. Bourbon usually helps me.