Captains club cocktail hour on edge

I&J Cruisers

The Captain's Club Newsletter dropped in my inbox this morning with the following announcement:

With our Newest Ship Comes Some New Enhancements to Our Captain’s Club Parties

Celebrity Edge is one of the biggest moments to date in Celebrity’s history. As we bring the most anticipated ship of the year to market, we also want to enhance our programming to make our Captain’s Club celebrations more special, more flexible and more accommodating.

Celebrity Edge introduces the industry-changing concept of outward facing spaces designed to build a greater connection between you and the sea. Eden is the essence of this concept, a true window to the world—literally. It’s three levels of sensory experiences completely wrapped in glass. It’s an experience so multi-faceted and innovative, you won’t find anything else like it as sea—or anywhere. As a Captain’s Club member, we want you to be among the first to see it. So the Captain’s Club Welcome Party on Edge will take place on embarkation day in Eden, giving you the opportunity to see it before anyone else. Enjoy a Captain’s Club paradise with live music, drinks and chef specialties.

We’re also changing up the Elite Cocktail Hour to give you more flexibility. Your SeaPass card will be loaded with three complimentary drinks from the Captain’s Club menu that you can redeem at many bars and restaurants throughout the ship. We’ll announce daily locations for Captain’s Club members to meet and enjoy cocktails with other members and Senior Officers. So now you can enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or meet up with new friends.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Edge.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/exclusive-captains-club-newsletter-october-2018?allowMobile=y&ecid=em_22338365&rid=194385095&mes=Celebrity Loyalty Enewsletter October 2018 EM&emsc=CCC_ELT_LUX_NAN_H_USA_LA_3_TA&empf=U&emct=E&lnkid=EDGE_CTA#section-2

Thanks for this  important info..We did not get  that Newsletter yet...

First day if the cruise is very  busy already but I know we'll go...sounds like something different. Eden could be a  nice party location....and we'll be curious to see it along with everyone else!

Drinks loaded on Sea Pass card are  of no value for those of us with an alc package but gatherings at various locations will help us get acquainted with the ship...

No mention made of the Sr Officers Party for E  and up and above but guess that remains a ???

I loved the cocktail hours on S class. Waiter saw us coming and had our drinks ready. We met new people every day... and loved the various hors d'oeuvres they would serve. We don't generally get the beverage package. We did on this cruise. So I see this as a cost saving step packaged as an improved benefit. I assume Royal is going to do this as well. This will impact my overall view of the line. Three drink is my limit, my DH is closer to 5. But simply having drinks on the card loses the whole interactive benefit of the cocktail hour. I have not met people, generally speaking, at the Martini bar... we usually sat looking down at the entertainment... not at the bar. We have booked cruises because of what we learned from fellow cruisers while at the Captains cocktail hour. On Royal we booked President's Cruise because of the reviews of the new people we met. We booked Edge in part due to conversations with other cruisers in the Sky lounge. So for the nominal cost to the cruise line... having frequent cruisers interact every evening builds relationships and a loyal fan base.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

13 minutes ago, kearney said:

I loved the cocktail hours on S class. Waiter saw us coming and had our drinks ready. We met new people every day... and loved the various hors d'oeuvres they would serve. We don't generally get the beverage package. We did on this cruise. So I see this as a cost saving step packaged as an improved benefit. I assume Royal is going to do this as well. This will impact my overall view of the line. Three drink is my limit, my DH is closer to 5. But simply having drinks on the card loses the whole interactive benefit of the cocktail hour. I have not met people, generally speaking, at the Martini bar... we usually sat looking down at the entertainment... not at the bar. We have booked cruises because of what we learned from fellow cruisers while at the Captains cocktail hour. On Royal we booked President's Cruise because of the reviews of the new people we met. We booked Edge in part due to conversations with other cruisers in the Sky lounge. So for the nominal cost to the cruise line... having frequent cruisers interact every evening builds relationships and a loyal fan base.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

I so agree with you. I much prefer the cocktail hours in the sky lounge where you met and conversed with others as opposed to the 3 drink vouchers. Everything you said is so true. Usually do not get tha beverage package either as 3 dinks is my limit also. LOL.  I've made friends in the sky lounges and yes, the waiters had the drinks ready when we arrived. Great service!

When I read the email is sounds like there will still be a location announced daily where you can meet up with other cruisers and senior staff to enjoy cocktails. Or, you can go to a variety of bars or dinner and use the 3 drinks loaded on your sea pass card. Choice is good. 

Sad for those who enjoyed the traditional Elite Cocktail Hour. I  am not surprised with the changes - there just didn't seem to be a good place for it on the Edge (it sounded like Eden and the Club might have things going on at those times) - I'm assuming the other ships will follow suit as they are revolutionized. It hasn't been a big draw for us - we always have the premium package and tend to go to the Ensemble Lounge (or other lounge) to listen to music and have a cocktail at that time - but when we have gone to the Elite Cocktail hour, it has been fun and a great way to meet people. Another benefit is getting to know the CC Host.

It does sound like they at least compromised by having various locations announced daily where people can go and socialize with other CC members and Senior Officers. They will likely have some hors d'oeuvres (on one cruise we were on where they just had drink coupons, they announced bars that would have munchies during that time period). Maybe as time goes on, more and more people will go to the daily gathering place and it still be a good way to meet people and hopefully service will be good.

Hope it works out for you, kearney and ecslady! :classic_smile:

The welcoming party sounds nice, but we just don't have much time on the first day. Oh well. we will probably make the time and go and see what is all about.

Edited by vtcruising

Socializing with Elites and above in Sky Lounge is a good experience but it is very spacious and sometimes awkward to meet people.  There are lots of nice passengers to meet and socialize with across all of the bars on the ship in my experience so no need to be limited with just the subset of Elite/Elite+/Zenith in Sky Lounge.  We usually have a drink package and go to the other bars anyway.

What surprised me is the timing... embarkation night.  If you have ever sat near the Captains Club desk (my favorite spot on Eclipse is Team a Earth right next to the desk) you realize for the first two or three days that Host is mobbed with people saying that the level on their card is listed incorrectly, or they didn’t get the Elite paperwork, things like that.  It always takes a couple of days to get the incorrect status smoothed out.  

Embarkation day people are often tired, some haven’t gotten their suitcases yet, etc.  I’m surprised they would put an event on embarkation night.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

What surprised me is the timing... embarkation night.  If you have ever sat near the Captains Club desk (my favorite spot on Eclipse is Team a Earth right next to the desk) you realize for the first two or three days that Host is mobbed with people saying that the level on their card is listed incorrectly, or they didn’t get the Elite paperwork, things like that.  It always takes a couple of days to get the incorrect status smoothed out.  

Embarkation day people are often tired, some haven’t gotten their suitcases yet, etc.  I’m surprised they would put an event on embarkation night.

I was surprised as well. We are so busy with unpacking, muster, roll call meet and greet after muster, dinner, show and this is an all new ship so there is a lot of exploring to do.  I will likely pop in to check it out - it is a nice idea. :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Socializing with Elites and above in Sky Lounge is a good experience but it is very spacious and sometimes awkward to meet people.  There are lots of nice passengers to meet and socialize with across all of the bars on the ship in my experience so no need to be limited with just the subset of Elite/Elite+/Zenith in Sky Lounge.  We usually have a drink package and go to the other bars anyway.

Reading this, I think that is why we have rarely gone to these events. When we travel with friends who enjoy going, we go with them and enjoy it, but it is so spread out we haven't had as much luck meeting people there when alone (but maybe we haven't given it enough of a try). We have had the best luck meeting others when traveling alone in Blu, Luminae, Michael's Club, Cellar Masters and smaller lounges.

9 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Reading this, I think that is why we have rarely gone to these events. When we travel with friends who enjoy going, we go with them and enjoy it, but it is so spread out we haven't had as much luck meeting people there when alone (but maybe we haven't given it enough of a try). We have had the best luck meeting others when traveling alone in Blu, Luminae, Michael's Club, Cellar Masters and smaller lounges.

Not everyone has access to some of these places but i think we'll all  do fine without the  big  nightly upstairs event.....it has lost its specialness,.

So odd but we seem to run into certain folks over and over again,  and end up making friends!

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Not everyone has access to some of these places but i think we'll all  do fine without the  big  nightly upstairs event.....it has lost its specialness,.

So odd but we seem to run into certain folks over and over again,  and end up making friends!

We have made some good friends onboard, but our best cruise buddies are those we have met on our CC roll calls. :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

Is there a Michael’s Pub on Edge?

No, it is called the Retreat now (was Michael's Club) and is for suite guests. It is open 24/7, though likely cocktails will only be offered until midnight or so (just guessing the bartenders won't be there 24/7 - that would be dangerous!). :classic_smile:

6 hours ago, mrstone said:

I read Michaels pub from 4 to 6pm for us also!!

On the Edge there won't be a Michael's Club, but if you are in a suite, The Retreat Lounge will be open for complimentary drinks most of the day and until late at night (most likely, if like Michael's). :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising