Boarding one day/sail away the next

JimnKaren

We have two cruises set up where we board on day 1, but we don't sail until the afternoon of day 2. What restrictions (as to boarding time on day 1) might there be? One port is in Europe and the other is South America.

Would we be able to board initially after the evening meal on day 1? Or, would it have to be before 'x' time on day 1?

Jim

You can board anytime until about noon on day 2. Most will board day 1 around the usual time - noon to 2 pm or so. However some will board later.

You can get on and off anytime you want after checking in. Just be on board for sailaway

Follow the instructions on the documents they provide for check-in as the check in staff may only be there for a certain amount of time on each day (just like normal embarkation). They will have security there for any arrivals to the ship but I doubt they will have check-in staff manning the dock for the whole night.

Your cruise documents should clearly outline the times available for boarding, as check-in desks/security/immigration (as reqd) will not be available continuously. The other factor will be the timing of the safety drill, which is dependent on the Captain. Some cruises may schedule the drill day 1, others will schedule just before departure.

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Never really understood why they do that.

Overnights?  Makes perfect sense for many reasons.  The cruise ship is collecting revenue without burning much fuel.  The crew gets to enjoy some much deserved time off (look for all the red eyes in the morning).  And its great for passengers in many of these ports.  Consider a ships that overnight in places like Venice and Lisbon.  These are both terrific places to be in the evening hours.  We have been amazed at how many passengers stay on the ship in the evening when in decent ports.  On the other hand, there are many cruisers who want to eat dinner at 5 (in many countries the restaurants do not even open until much later) and go to bed by 8.  Speaking of early dinners, those who don't read the Princess boards might not be aware that they just changed their early sitting (dinner) time to 4:45!  Unreal.

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Overnights?  Makes perfect sense for many reasons.  The cruise ship is collecting revenue without burning much fuel.  The crew gets to enjoy some much deserved time off (look for all the red eyes in the morning).  And its great for passengers in many of these ports.  Consider a ships that overnight in places like Venice and Lisbon.  These are both terrific places to be in the evening hours.  We have been amazed at how many passengers stay on the ship in the evening when in decent ports.  On the other hand, there are many cruisers who want to eat dinner at 5 (in many countries the restaurants do not even open until much later) and go to bed by 8.  Speaking of early dinners, those who don't read the Princess boards might not be aware that they just changed their early sitting (dinner) time to 4:45!  Unreal.

Hank

Hank - totally correct as being a huge crew benefit. Back in the late 70's when doing 7-day Mexico between L/A & Acapulco, we got every 2nd weekend in Acapulco. Arrived 08:00 Friday and sailed 18:00 Sunday.

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Never really understood why they do that.

Lots of reasons from the ship's standpoint; from the passenger standpoint, the benefit depends on personal choice and where it's located.  Think of it as an extra day in the city, with the cruise ship as your hotel -- and often it's cheaper than many other hotels in that city.  Whether you want to be out early or stay out late, you have the option while knowing that your "hotel room" is docked and waiting for you.  In some cities I'd like that option, in others, it seems wasteful to me. 

• Like 1

I thought it was very nice when flying from North America to Singapore to have check-in day 1 and sail away day 2. Although I flew in a day in advance, with 27 hours of travel time, if something had gone wrong, I knew I could likely still make the ship. So I only needed 1 night in a hotel upon arrival before moving into my already paid for cabin. I saved a bit of money and still had both peace of mind and extra sightseeing time in a new-to-me port.