Taking food/snacks to your cabin?

Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, centralcalicruzer said:

I wonder if it was because you took it into a "bar" area? Were you in Crooners? Because clearly you can take food from IC back to your cabin. As busy as the IC usually is, there's no way everyone that gets something from there can be expected to sit right there and eat. Heck, I've even taken a sandwich from there into the theatre to watch an afternoon movie (I wouldn't take food in there during a production show.)

No, we weren't in Crooners.  That is up 2 floors on the Regal and we only went up one floor.

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

What ship was this?   I can’t imagine why they would tell you that you could not remove stuff from the IC. In our case, we had nowhere to sit while in the atrium  so we always had to remove food from the IC And take to our cabin. 

Where  exactly were you trying to consume the food that you had gotten from the IC ? 

I would’ve been pretty irritated too and Would  have asked to speak to a manager at some point during the cruise

As I stated in my earlier post, it was the Regal.  

Maybe at Bellini’s, the little area that over,looks the atrium?  That place usually appears vacant when it is actually open.  It is a champagne bar.  

Edited by 4cats4me

8 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We were pretty fired up about it at the time!  I immediatley got on Cruise Critic to post a thread and see if this had happened to anyone else, but unfortunately, that was the week the Boards were down for the upgrade so I was unable.  I calmed down about it over the course of the cruise, and we had a great time otherwise, but it still bugs me.  We are Platinum so this was by no means our first Princess cruise and I know better!  The server was apologetic and said to my husband "I'm sorry sir, it's not my policy, it's management's".  And this was a server who 'knew' us because we had frequented his bar area all week.  He was nice about it but it still annoyed me.  I even went down to the IC to see if there was some sign about taking food away, and of course there was not.

I ould have went to the Passenger Service dsk mmediately to get the true information on this issue. Then if the information you were given by the server was wrong then I would have mentioned who the server was so they can be traindon this area.  

Why try to find an answer on here when you could go right to the proper peope on the ship?

14 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We were on the Regal a couple weeks ago and while we never had trouble bringing food back to our room from the buffet, we were scolded for bringing dessert from the IC up a floor in the Piazza. 

4 hours ago, centralcalicruzer said:

I wonder if it was because you took it into a "bar" area? Were you in Crooners?

When i was on the Regal Princess a few weeks ago, i saw someone bring down plates of pizza to Crooners. One of bar server told them they can not eat in the bar area and they had to move to either the Seafood bar or someone place. It seems strange but it is appears they are enforcing some "no food areas" on the ship.

Late at night, i always bring a sandwich from the IC back to my cabin with no problems.

10 hours ago, Potstech said:

I ould have went to the Passenger Service dsk mmediately to get the true information on this issue. Then if the information you were given by the server was wrong then I would have mentioned who the server was so they can be traindon this area.  

Why try to find an answer on here when you could go right to the proper peope on the ship?

As I stated before, I DIDN'T come here and start a thread about it.  I was on vacation, enjoying myself and the live entertainment at the time, it wasn't that big of a deal to go stand in a line at passenger services to ask about it.  I ate my food and we moved on with life.  It didn't ruin my vacation or anything.  I was just reporting in this thread what we were told.  

I did go to passenger services about a problem with my OBC, which took 3 visits, and every time the line was LONG.  It wasn't worth that for this trivial issue.  

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 9:13 AM, Paula_MacFan said:

We were on the Regal a couple weeks ago and while we never had trouble bringing food back to our room from the buffet, we were scolded for bringing dessert from the IC up a floor in the Piazza.  Never had this happen before and don't know if it's a policy change or a one-off.  There was no available seating in the area directly around the IC, so we carried our dessert up a level to find an empty seat.  A server came over and said we had to 'finish our food quickly because it was forbidden to bring food from the IC to that level'.  Never heard this before, but we hurriedly ate our small plates of dessert.

If you were sitting in Alfredo's then I can understand why they don't want other food items. But, if you were sitting at Bellini's the staff was out of place, and should have been reported. I never heard that you could not bring food items into any bar on the ship and Bellini's is just that, a bar.

18 hours ago, jlp20 said:

You've missed the thread of the postings. Almost everyone takes a snack back to the cabin. I have seen pax fill full size shopping bags full of rolls, plates piled high of cheese and hand fulls of jam packets. 

well, while I've never seen that happen myself, I could easily assume that they have a large group of people meeting somewhere (or lots of kids) and are bringing snacks for the group.

Heck, there are only 3 of us, but you could definitely see me going back to the cabin with 2 plates piled high with pastries for a BEFORE breakfast treat.

Why do we care so much about what other people are doing with the food, when it doesn't concern us? 

• Like 1

Last month our room was near the IC. It was so nice to be able to pop over and get a few breakfast items, while the kids were still asleep, as they always wake up hungry. Made it so that getting to breakfast wasn't a stressful event. They had their small breakfast item while everyone got ready for the day. Almost everyone I saw in the morning was taking their food back to their rooms.

20 hours ago, jlp20 said:

You've missed the thread of the postings. Almost everyone takes a snack back to the cabin. I have seen pax fill full size shopping bags full of rolls, plates piled high of cheese and hand fulls of jam packets. 

And there's certain passengers that like green tea.  On our last Alaskan cruise out of San Francisco, you had to ask for green tea bags.  I asked why we had to ask, the waiter said too many passengers were stuffing their pockets with the tea and taking it home with them. 

About taking food into certain bar areas---this is just speculation but maybe the reason for the bar staff asking people to not bring food into the bar has to do with the segregation of trash required for recycling and disposal.  A bar may not have a receptacle for food waste other than drink garnishes such as lemons or limes.  Also a bar may not have room to handle items like plates, knives, and forks or the staff to carry those items to a food service area. 

There is no problem taking food back to your cabin.

Each morning I take breakfast from the IC to the cabin for my wife before I go to eat in the MDR.  At lunch I take her sandwiches and desserts to the cabin before I go to eat at the somewhere else. Anytime the steward sees me coming down the hall with my hands full, he will run over and open the cabin door for me.  

We have also taken stuff from the IC to other areas of the atrium and sat down to eat before going back to the cabin when returning from shore.  Never had a problem.

Have also picked up pizza or a hamburger and fries and sat down on a bar stool order a rink and sit there and eat lunch with no problem.

We always take snacks back to the room.  I love to have fruit available at all times and have a few items handy to snack on, especially in the evening before bed.  We make sure to keep things tidy for the steward and keep any dishes in the cabin.

there are many reasons people may want to have snacks handy including health reasons or feeding constantly hungry children.

an interesting aside... A few years ago Norwegian cruise lines tried to ban bringing food back to the cabin (happened at the same time they instituted a significant charge for room service!). There was such an outcry on cruise critic they reversed their policy!  don't you just love cruise critic!!!!

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, jlp20 said:

This is a cruise ship, there is no need to stock your cabin's frig. Like you mama told you, don't take more than you can eat.

I need to take medication in the morning, and usually have something to eat with it so I do NOT take prescribed painkillers on an empty stomach, as advised by my Dr. I intend to bring a sealable container so I can store the cookies overnight. Another friend recommended the peanut butter cookies at the International Café, so I will be trying them and the chocolate cookies. I've tried swallowing the painkillers with milk, but have found eating something works better for me.

2 hours ago, crochetcruise said:

I need to take medication in the morning, and usually have something to eat with it so I do NOT take prescribed painkillers on an empty stomach, as advised by my Dr. I intend to bring a sealable container so I can store the cookies overnight. Another friend recommended the peanut butter cookies at the International Café, so I will be trying them and the chocolate cookies. I've tried swallowing the painkillers with milk, but have found eating something works better for me.

Be sure to soak those chocolate cookies in milk overnight and then you might be able to take a bite of one without breaking a tooth.  They are the hardest cookies I have ever encountered and so dry you need something to wash them down.

4 hours ago, crochetcruise said:

I need to take medication in the morning, and usually have something to eat with it ...

I suggest you read the thread before posting. Not a carton of milk or plate of cookies, rolls by the dozens and meat by the pound. NOT THE SAME PERSON. This was on two separate cruises. To me this was more social/economic upbringing pax dropped into unfamiliar surroundings.

5 hours ago, crochetcruise said:

I don't find the cookies hard to eat at all. I often take some back to the cabin. As for painkillers... I take them regularly. I chew them up. (I recently had a two day hospital stay and freaked out the nurse by popping Norco in my mouth and chewing. Not a problem with swallowing that way! :classic_biggrin:)

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I don't find the cookies hard to eat at all. I often take some back to the cabin. As for painkillers... I take them regularly. I chew them up. (I recently had a two day hospital stay and freaked out the nurse by popping Norco in my mouth and chewing. Not a problem with swallowing that way! :classic_biggrin:)

You don’t want to star5 chewing slow release pain killers though, like OxyContin and the such. Though it can be one way to not need anymore pain killers ever.

36 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

You don’t want to star5 chewing slow release pain killers though, like OxyContin and the such. Though it can be one way to not need anymore pain killers ever.

Good point. Please don't do that!