Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

10 minutes ago, JustinAllen said:

How did you like La Petite Chef?  We will be boarding the Silhouette on Nov 30th!

Mentioned above that food was excellent. Lobster perfectly cook.   Had Filet Medium rare which was more in Rare side but tender and flavorable. 

Wine service left much to be desired. Serving 100 plus guests with a time based show is virtually impossible for one sommelier.  

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Mentioned above that food was excellent. Lobster perfectly cook.   Had Filet Medium rare which was more in Rare side but tender and flavorable. 

Wine service left much to be desired. Serving 100 plus guests with a time based show is virtually impossible for one sommelier.  

I'm surprised the sommelier did not just leave the bottle on the table for you.

• Like 1

Jim, I always enjoy following along with your trip reports. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the changes of the M class ships after drydock. My favorites are the S class ships, but we are looking at a cruise on Summit next summer. Do you know if the if the buffet will have stations similar to the ones on the S class ships after drydock? 

• Like 1

We enjoyed LPC on the second night of this cruise.   There were only 10 of U.S. Senate we had no problem with getting wines and we did change wines with each course.   The filet was better, no gristle, than the one in Murano.   The rest of the Steak Dianne (sauce and vegetables) was wonderful.   We had lunch in Tuscan and the hamburgers were as huge as when they serve them in the Lawn Club.    We went to dinner at Tuscan.   The service was excellent including wine service.    After the burger lunch we were not hungry but had salads and half portions of two of the pastas.    We hope they be hungry for our second night in Murano.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, JoePDX said:

It took us five cruises on X to get to Elite.   Based on our typical cruise of approx. 14 days I calculate only 60 more to Zenith.   🙂

Joe   :classic_blink:

We managed it in 4 cruises under the old system. After 14 more cruises we are close to two thirds of the way to zenith so it can be done. 

15 hours ago, A Sixth? said:

Congrats on Zenith.

Here's what my Celebrity account says :classic_blink: 

"

You have 32 past cruises

Recent cruises and points can take up to 10 days post-cruise to display.

You have 11 upcoming cruises

It may take up to 15 minutes for new or updated reservations to display."

I will be 1000 points shy of  Zenith even after Feb 2020 concludes.

I will likely never make Zenith :classic_sad:

By Feb 2020 will need another 650 points so hope to be there around 2/3 years on from then.  

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

100% change.   The cabins are modular and they will be pulling out the old one and slipping in the new ones.  New carpet, chairs, Furniture linens light fixtures.   She will basically look like a new ship. All cabins in all classes will be updated.  Also the edge class verandas with the infinity decks will be installed.   Also Petite Chef will be installed.

the new dining room and theaters will be changed out with new furniture and Chandeliers. 

They will Also be install a suited only retreat on Sports Deck Forward with hot tub, loungers and suites only bar.

Also so the hull will be painted dark blue like original color scheme. 

WOW!  WOW!  WOW!  It will be like a completely new ship.

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I'm surprised the sommelier did not just leave the bottle on the table for you.

I agree.   They put it in an ice bucket a couple tables away.  They will have to fine tune that for sure.   They left a survey in table at end of meal and we made note of it. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, mmsJack said:

Hi Jim & Lain

I'll be joining the others here as we follow along with you on your journey. Thank you so much for taking the time to journal your travels across the pond! My daughters, son-in-law and I will be on the 12/9 Silhouette sailing (along w/ Signman apparently 😎) & it will be fantastic to get your impressions and feedback before we board.  

Quite kind of you to take the time to share with the CC community!

Hi, we'll also be following along. We also board Dec. 9th and can't wait. I'm sure you'll take good care of Silhouette, and Murano. mmsJack, stop by our Roll Call. You have time to catch up while following what promises to be a fun TA review.

The weather is bright today with calmer seas.   Getting more of a stern to aft rocking as we head east.  Could see on the map today that we are south east of the Azores. 

People are starting to lay by the pool and out walking. 

D1A6342C-2F3B-49CA-A2EF-81FCFE66C75C.thumb.jpeg.89e00e22c02547d9c6f5d5570908648c.jpeg

59E49D61-0E72-43B9-B101-3526FD954477.thumb.jpeg.49de6b0b5ab194c3ba1dd57a3e56214c.jpeg

044C3412-3DEA-4128-9108-63EDF04F1703.thumb.jpeg.ee069ddfebf88bd0f45dc1acdb4efc0d.jpeg

6AC9F1E2-12C0-432D-966E-F7D718C31A85.thumb.jpeg.bdcf00f255407dd3c377df816a5dc76e.jpeg

chairs are still tied down

C78FF2AF-AC4D-4D99-8E14-D8C61D3EF6C6.thumb.jpeg.390f8b67567bfe5b982558b9b345c915.jpeg

Cooking demo at Lawn Club Gril

3ABDC3B6-51DD-4841-B6A3-1CAFB00D4616.thumb.jpeg.4e285e2302d8310d1302dc9dd8d0491f.jpeg

DAD16EAE-14CD-4860-B2A1-004A14E09E50.thumb.jpeg.47bc16be52a34231f4fb083bbd0412b5.jpeg

2AA98B1A-C489-4054-A1D0-BB9BE75151F0.jpeg

45102AE5-0BE9-4913-9810-C6BE1639FF94.jpeg

You can get a feel of the forward to aft swells by watching the horizon. 

While not smooth it is much nicer than the port to starboard rolling we have had for the past couple days. 

https://youtu.be/eFTX7ShgOng

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Actually when checking Uber is 1/2 the price of the Celebrity Shuttle.   I'm sure we will be using either Uber or Lyft, especially if the lines are long and the costs are double.   

Appreciate the insight.

The last cruise we did that stopped in Boston we skipped the shuttles and did the subway. It was pretty easy. We have toured most of the historical Boston sites on previous visits and decided we wanted to tour Fenway Park on our own. They give hourly tours there and being huge baseball fans we found it really interesting to go behind the scenes. We did that in November and it was a lot of fun.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We have the equivalent of a Nexus Card - Global Entry.   In the U.S. our Nexus Card is only valid for travel to and from Canada and I believe Mexico but Global Entry is good for return travel worldwide.  The cost is $100.    The one thing I like about it is that you automatically get TSA-PRE.   They now offer an option that you can buy a Pre Card for $86.  

Having said that, about a year ago US Customs And Boarder Control implemented a FREE smart phone app called Mobile Passport.   When you set it up you scan you Passport and a add a current Photo which is stored.  You do your declaration like Global Entry but on your phone and when at the port you hit submit and it generates a BarCode that allows you to use the same lanes as Global Entry. 

Insert other media.url

We did all of those things...backwards! First, not realizing about Global Entry including TSA Precheck, we paid the $85  and got TSA Precheck. Then, we got the mobile passport app. Then, after disembarking in Port Everglades and trying to use Mobile Passport it wasn't working that morning. Now, we have all three! Hopefully either the app or GE will work this time!

5 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We enjoyed LPC on the second night of this cruise.   There were only 10 of U.S. Senate we had no problem with getting wines and we did change wines with each course.   The filet was better, no gristle, than the one in Murano.   The rest of the Steak Dianne (sauce and vegetables) was wonderful.   We had lunch in Tuscan and the hamburgers were as huge as when they serve them in the Lawn Club.    We went to dinner at Tuscan.   The service was excellent including wine service.    After the burger lunch we were not hungry but had salads and half portions of two of the pastas.    We hope they be hungry for our second night in Murano.

Didn't realize we had 10 Senators on board.   LOL.    I love auto correct at time.

Glad to hear the difference in service in both LPC an Tuscan.   We ate a light lunch today as we are having dinner in Murano's tonight with Captain George and some of his Executive Staff.   I'm Sure we wont have trouble with Wine service tonight.... 

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

The last cruise we did that stopped in Boston we skipped the shuttles and did the subway. It was pretty easy. We have toured most of the historical Boston sites on previous visits and decided we wanted to tour Fenway Park on our own. They give hourly tours there and being huge baseball fans we found it really interesting to go behind the scenes. We did that in November and it was a lot of fun.

Sounds like a great day.    I'm positive we will do Boston on our own.    I have a list of all I want to see.   Now all we have to do is hope for nice weather.   So far weather forecast is showing Sunny but chilly with a Low of 30F (-1 C) igh of 43F (6 C).   Much prefer cool temps  than rainy warmer weather.  

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

We did all of those things...backwards! First, not realizing about Global Entry including TSA Precheck, we paid the $85  and got TSA Precheck. Then, we got the mobile passport app. Then, after disembarking in Port Everglades and trying to use Mobile Passport it wasn't working that morning. Now, we have all three! Hopefully either the app or GE will work this time!

Not sure if it will work in Boston.   I was thinking only Miami and FLL had it.  The daily indicates it is a face to face aboard the ship.  Details are suppose to come out tonight. 

We also have both Global Entry but have been using Mobile Passport in FLL lately and it worked well.  When using Global Entry they didn't even ask for our card but saw the sticker in our passport and let us virtually walk through.   Recently they have not been using the paper customs declaration. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

We also have global entry and hope to use it in Fort Lauderdale.    Thanks for the heads up about eating in Murano with Captain tonight.   We have an early time for dinner so we should be almost through before the big table moves in.  It’s difficult for the staff to give the captains table adequate service without compromising the rest of the restaurant.   

Have you made reservations at Tuscans for the NYC sailaway?    We did that last time and the view of the Manhattan skyline was fantastic.

Jim

Thank you so much for taking us along on your journey. We board Silhouette on Nov 18th so we will live vicariously through you until then.

We will be in 1609 and were wondering if you could share with us, the name of your current butler, as there is a good chance, he or she may want to work a trade before we get on board.

Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to spend time with us.

Randy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Jim

Thank you so much for taking us along on your journey. We board Silhouette on Nov 18th so we will live vicariously through you until then.

We will be in 1609 and were wondering if you could share with us, the name of your current butler, as there is a good chance, he or she may want to work a trade before we get on board.

Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to spend time with us.

Randy

Hi Randy -  Our butler is John.    A really nice man who is about 6 foot tall and from the Philippines.   He is very efficient and has been doing lots of little things for us.   He also has the Penthouse which is next door.   

He brings canopies every day and has asked we would prefer something different.  We have been declining them as we are not big eaters and it fills us up before dinner.   I'm impressed with his performance and he picks up on little things, e.g. Iain likes STRONG TEA and uses 3 bags.   After the first day the tea started coming with 3 bags in the pot.   I enjoy a strong double cappuccino first thing in the morning.    The first day he brought one from the butlers pantry which is not very good.   When he notice my to-go Cappuccino cup he has been bringing me one in a china cup from el Bacchio's.   

You will find him very engaging but also respects your time.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KikisDad said:

Here is a link to Celebrity's micro site for the Revolution upgrades. The Millennium class ships will see the most changes. The new dining room looks very much in the same style as on the Solstice class.

https://webapps.celebritycruises.com/revolution/

Thanks much.   Happy to see they have it out there.   I had not come across it.

I did a screen capture of the Celebrity Suite for a bit of eye candy and encourage others to take a look at the link. 

CS.jpg.2cfc5482a7d20222bd3c7cd17c9aa4e2.jpg

Jim,

I am enjoying reading your blog.  Thanks for doing it.

When I read about Marsha and her husband Peter, it rang a bell for me.  And then when I saw your pictures of Marsha at LPC, I was sure.  I met them either last year or the year before on the Summit.  I believe they were on the ship for a week or two prior to me boarding for the repo cruise.  I was traveling solo and sat next to them one night in Luminae.  They were gracious enough to ask me to join them for the Officer's Social in Michael's Club after dinner.  They were a delightful couple.  I'm not sure if Marsha will even remember me, but please tell her that I offer my condolences on her loss.  Thanks so much.

Janice

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We also have global entry and hope to use it in Fort Lauderdale.    Thanks for the heads up about eating in Murano with Captain tonight.   We have an early time for dinner so we should be almost through before the big table moves in.  It’s difficult for the staff to give the captains table adequate service without compromising the rest of the restaurant.   

Have you made reservations at Tuscans for the NYC sailaway?    We did that last time and the view of the Manhattan skyline was fantastic.

I was modifying my response above.  We clear immagration in Boston so not sure what happens in FLL.  I see if I can find out. 

I suspect we we will be in wine cellar as it is just us and the Captain and some of his staff as part of our Zenith initiation.  It is early for us at 6 pm. 

56 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure if it will work in Boston.   I was thinking only Miami and FLL had it.  The daily indicates it is a face to face aboard the ship.  Details are suppose to come out tonight. 

We also have both Global Entry but have been using Mobile Passport in FLL lately and it worked well.  When using Global Entry they didn't even ask for our card but saw the sticker in our passport and let us virtually walk through.   Recently they have not been using the paper customs declaration. 

I think you're correct about Boston not having GE. At this time I believe it's on Port of Miami and Port Everglades. They don't have the kiosks, so we were advised we'd need our cards. When we did the cruise that included Boston we were coming from Quebec and they did clear the ship on board. It didn't take too long as I recall. That sailing was on a Royal C. ship and they brought officials on board. We were called to a central location on board in groups as I recall. It's good to hear that the Mobile Passport App works, but the one time we tried it the machines were down and we had to wait in line forever, hence the GE applications. 

DH and I can't wait for Murano. Did you go there ahead of time to order the steak Diane? We love the Chateaubriand and Lobster Murano, but the change of pace might be welcome this trip. I know the steak Diane isn't normally on the menu but have heard that it could be requested.