Upsell

lbfluffy

3 hours ago, Badgeaz said:

10 day cruise

$25 a day pp for a change from an inside cabin to a balcony is a very significant savings that many people would take.  Have you looked at the normal price difference between the two categories? $250 per person difference for a 10 day cruise is a significant bargain.

As long as you are happy with your original inside cabin booking, you should go and have a great time.

We took a week long (7 day) camping trip recently. On day 2 my TA called and left a message that we had an offer to move from our Ocean View (a cabin we've sailed in before and loved) to a balcony. We didn't get the message until we got home 5 days later. I have no idea what the offer was because I figured by then it was too late to check on it and besides, like I said, we love the cabin we have.

I once turned down an upsell to a mini for very little money. We were booked in C752 - an aft facing, corner balcony on Caribe Deck. We had booked that cabin specifically and didn't want to change. I have taken a couple of upsell offers and have also had a couple of free upgrades - one from a forward inside cabin on Lido Deck to a HC Accessible Balcony on Caribe deck on Crown Princess. Wowie Zowie! That was quite a free upgrade. The cabin and the balcony were huge! 🙂

2 hours ago, Badgeaz said:

We are gonna  enjoy are inside cabin I've heard you sleep  better because it's so dark.we will be spending  most of our time enjoying the ship and the ports

You chose to turn down a really decent upsell, as is your right. But might one respectfully inquire why you spent so much time on another thread inquiring about/longing for an upgrade and complaining about your TA, and why any of us bothered to respond/sympathize? 

(BTW, Princess has really effective blackout curtains.)

Edited by shepp

32 minutes ago, Badgeaz said:

If you checked my posts. I said I'd be happy if I got an higher category  inside cabin I never said I was wanting a balcony. Respectfully

Oh, I checked your posts. At least as far back as August 8th you were asking about upgrade offers, and you did mention considering an OV. (Quote: " I'm thinking  of maybe spending the upgrade fee for an oceanview." ) People patiently answered your questions, explained to you the difference between upsells and upgrades, and criticized your TA. As I said, upgrades within inside cabins only matter if you're in a potentially noisy location, might get seasick forward on an upper deck, or want to be closer to midships. Which us to say, most of us regard an inside-to-iniside as no big thing. Your TA pulled through for you. You got a really nice offer for a two-meta-category upgrade (a balcony being a lot more expensive and desirable than an OV) and turned it down flat. Maybe your finances wouldn't allow it. Maybe you were waiting to get something for nothing. Dunno. Have a nice cruise.

Edited by shepp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Badgeaz said:

If you checked my posts. I said I'd be happy if I got an higher category  inside cabin I never said I was wanting a balcony. Respectfully

You are correct, you never asked for a balcony. However, you posted this; Quote: I'm thinking  of maybe spending the upgrade  fee for an oceanview. Cabin is r236. As far as I know all balconies have an ocean view:classic_wink:.

Theo

20 hours ago, memoak said:

We have accepted upsells from mini's to full suites the past 3 years for longer cruises (15 - 20 days) - the price not too bad and is always way cheaper than the full suite would go for without the upsell.  I have learned to leave my e-mail open or at least check it often

We have gotten tired of the chefs table - too much food and just so so wines.  That being said Oscar on the Pacific Transatlantic last year hosted a Super Tuscan lunch - better  portion control,  excellent food and outstanding wines - it was well worth the price

For your upsells, can you tell me what ships you were on and the destinations?  Thanks so much.

On 10/25/2018 at 5:24 PM, lbfluffy said:

I just got the call. We were offered an upsell from.ocean view to balcony for $99 per person on our upcoming 10 day cruise. I took it. Aloha deck 610. I’m very happy.

We also got an upgrade offer yesterday from an inside cabin to a premium balcony for a little over $100 pp including additional insurance charge.  We have never had a balcony so we jumped on it.  7 day cruise.  Very Happy 

21 hours ago, Badgeaz said:

My ta just sent an email from princess  upgrade to balcony  at $250 per person. I said yeah um no

Yeah, that's ridiculous.  As a consumer, it really bugs me that they try to pass off some of these "fantastic deals" to people when they really aren't much, if ANY, savings at all.  As a shareholder, I should be happy.  :classic_mellow:

4 hours ago, pcsunlover said:

Great upsell!  Btw, I love your screen name.  Have a great cruise!

My name stands for LB meaning the town I live in Los Banos and fluffy for my curly hair. I had a former boss that called me fluffy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Working 2 Cruise said:

I did accept an upsell offer for my upcoming 14 night Caribbean cruise which I considered a great deal... $179 per person, inside to balcony Lido deck on Caribbean Princess.  Very happy!  One Ultimate Balcony Dinner coming up!

Yes that is an amazing deal. 

40 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Yeah, that's ridiculous.  As a consumer, it really bugs me that they try to pass off some of these "fantastic deals" to people when they really aren't much, if ANY, savings at all.  As a shareholder, I should be happy.  :classic_mellow:

$25 pp a day for an upsell from the least expensive inside cabin to a balcony is outrageous in your opinion?  You must a real bargain hunter and there is nothing wrong with that approach.

On the other hand I would never take the least expensive inside cabin in the front of the ship to save $25 a day per person over a balcony.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

$25 pp a day for an upsell from the least expensive inside cabin to a balcony is outrageous in your opinion?  You must a real bargain hunter and there is nothing wrong with that approach.

On the other hand I would never take the least expensive inside cabin in the front of the ship to save $25 a day per person over a balcony.  

Absolutely.  Two reasons why:  Princess used to offer much lower upsells and then it was worth it.  With the new upsells, many times it isn't.  When you look at the current rates and you see that the balcony cabins are going for LESS than the upsell price, then yes, it's ridiculous.  Not sure if that's the case in this instance, but in many cases it is and people just get excited to hear "upsell" and don't bother doing their due-diligence.  It really pays to check on current prices including Flash Sale Rates.  This is the case with my recent upsell - it was a savings of a whopping $2 to take the upsell rate.  Uh...not worth it!

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Absolutely.  Two reasons why:  Princess used to offer much lower upsells and then it was worth it.  With the new upsells, many times it isn't.  When you look at the current rates and you see that the balcony cabins are going for LESS than the upsell price, then yes, it's ridiculous.  Not sure if that's the case in this instance, but in many cases it is and people just get excited to hear "upsell" and don't bother doing their due-diligence.  It really pays to check on current prices including Flash Sale Rates.  This is the case with my recent upsell - it was a savings of a whopping $2 to take the upsell rate.  Uh...not worth it!

Princess also used to put their Alfredo in parmesan bowls and offer decent trivia prizes. Oh, for a time machine....

We have no idea what the poster paid for the inside. Assuming we're talking about the December 7th sailing, current rate for the cheapest inside is $698 pp, for the cheapest balcony $1198 (and we have no idea which balcony cabin was on offer). So that's a difference of at least 500 bucks, or twice what the upsell offer was. Essentially, it's "pay for an upgrade to an OV and you get a balcony." Is it the greatest upsell offer ever? No. Is it outrageous? Most of us would say no. (Especially since the poster had already expressed an interest in buying an upgrade to OV.)

The first time I sailed a TA on the Royal, I got a comp upgrade from inside to balcony. The second, I was offered an inside-to-balcony for $300, which I jumped on. Would I rather have gotten another freebie? Sure. But then, I still miss the parmesan bowls, too.

Edited by shepp

3 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

i just want to make sure that I fully understand what you are suggesting.

You are suggesting that if you had a basic balcony cabin booked for a 10 day cruise in September that you would accept a downgrade to the lowest level inside cabin to save  $25 a day per person or $250 a person? Do I understand correctly?

If you would, then I think I fully understand.

I am a little surprised (since today the cost difference is at least twice that number).

You would do whatever you think is best for you and your cabin mate.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:24 PM, lbfluffy said:

I just got the call. We were offered an upsell from.ocean view to balcony for $99 per person on our upcoming 10 day cruise. I took it. Aloha deck 610. I’m very happy.

Thinking we might be on the same cruise - Grand Princess out of SFO?

Late August booked a Gty cat IF and about 6 weeks ago was assigned cat IA on Caribe.  Received a $129 balcony upsell offer this past Friday initially offering a balcony on Aloha. Not our favorire deck so asked if anything available on Caribe.  Yes they said - I took it.  Total cruise, cost excl taxes etc, works out to $77/day/person.