Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

Good morning Jackie, once again I am enjoying your travels, photos and tales of adventure on the high seas.

Question: Who are the lecturers and their topics of expertise?

Do they do the lectures in the Galaxy lounge or only on the TV?

If"live", what time?

I am asking these questions for Ray. On our last cruise, on the Explorer, this past March the old geezer was so terrible that Ray had to leave and for him to do that it, must have been not even up to par.

We are considering the 2020 cruise Singapore to Rome on the Mariner and maybe even adding on the Rome to Miami as well.

Say hi to Dennis for us and while you are around on formal night, how about a photo of you and Dennis.

Cheers,

Pat and Ray

44 minutes ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Good morning Jackie, once again I am enjoying your travels, photos and tales of adventure on the high seas.

Question: Who are the lecturers and their topics of expertise?

Do they do the lectures in the Galaxy lounge or only on the TV?

If"live", what time?

I am asking these questions for Ray. On our last cruise, on the Explorer, this past March the old geezer was so terrible that Ray had to leave and for him to do that it, must have been not even up to par.

We are considering the 2020 cruise Singapore to Rome on the Mariner and maybe even adding on the Rome to Miami as well.

Say hi to Dennis for us and while you are around on formal night, how about a photo of you and Dennis.

Cheers,

Pat and Ray

Hi - it is always wonderful to hear from you two.  Will do a photo of Dennis but I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.  There are no formal nights on this cruise.  BTW, we gave up participating in Trivia.  Sailing with you and our Trivia team spoiled me forever.  

The lectures have been held in the Constellation Theater and are replayed on television. Terry Bishop is a wonderful speaker but his talks have been on topics that I am not interested in (mostly about the history of the Atlantic Ocean.

Adam Tanner, on the other hand has been so interesting.  He spoke about our information that is “out there” on the internet and how people and companies and others have access to it.  Then he did a lecture about our medical information - really interesting stuff.  In an hour he will be doing “The Past History and Future Potential of Altering Humans Through Brain Surgery”. He will discuss the controversial history of psychosurgery and consider whether science will one day be able to create super humans with brains enhanced by computer chips.  My interest in this topic is more about changing the brains of sociopaths and those people with mental health issues that they try so hard to cure.  

The itineraries that you are looking at sound wonderful.  We will be back on Explorer (our favorite ship) in February, 2019.  It is a cruise with many wonderful lecturers.  Our main interest there is the PBS series on Nova that will be onboard.  There are opportunities to have cocktails, dinner and small group discussions with them.  It is a very special birthday for Dennis and I picked the itinerary for him (Santiago Chile to Los Angeles).  

Later next year we will do a transatlantic crossing from Lisbon to Miami on Explorer (followed by a Splendor cruise in March, 2020 and a Middle East cruise on Explorer at the end of the year).  In between we take mini 7 day cruises that are near to home.  Last year it was on Celebrity and this year it is on a cruise line that you are very familiar with (I prefer not to post the name of the cruise line on a public forum.)

We just had a Galley Lunch that was very good.  That’s all for now.

Jackie

Edited by Travelcat2

Great news for passengers onboard Voyager ....... due to the course changes that permitted the ship to have higher speeds than expected, we will be stopping in St. Martin on Black Friday!  This is indeed good news for all of us onboard.  We appreciate the hard work that any officers and crew have done to accommodate the changes to our itinerary.  As was done with our unscheduled stop in the Canary Islands, we will have excursions available during our stop in St. Martin (from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.). Speaking for myself, we are not interested in excursions but are most interested in shopping!

JPR - agree with you 100%.  Jacques on Oceania is probably our favorite restaurant at sea (although Regent remains our favorite cruise line).

We will dine in Chartreuse on the last night onboard (Sunday night).   I will report on our experience in my final review/wrap-up of this cruise.

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hi - it is always wonderful to hear from you two.  Will do a photo of Dennis but I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.  There are no formal nights on this cruise.  BTW, we gave up participating in Trivia.  Sailing with you and our Trivia team spoiled me forever.  

The lectures have been held in the Constellation Theater and are replayed on television. Terry Bishop is a wonderful speaker but his talks have been on topics that I am not interested in (mostly about the history of the Atlantic Ocean.

Adam Tanner, on the other hand has been so interesting.  He spoke about our information that is “out there” on the internet and how people and companies and others have access to it.  Then he did a lecture about our medical information - really interesting stuff.  In an hour he will be doing “The Past History and Future Potential of Altering Humans Through Brain Surgery”. He will discuss the controversial history of psychosurgery and consider whether science will one day be able to create super humans with brains enhanced by computer chips.  My interest in this topic is more about changing the brains of sociopaths and those people with mental health issues that they try so hard to cure.  

The itineraries that you are looking at sound wonderful.  We will be back on Explorer (our favorite ship) in February, 2019.  It is a cruise with many wonderful lecturers.  Our main interest there is the PBS series on Nova that will be onboard.  There are opportunities to have cocktails, dinner and small group discussions with them.  It is a very special birthday for Dennis and I picked the itinerary for him (Santiago Chile to Los Angeles).  

Later next year we will do a transatlantic crossing from Lisbon to Miami on Explorer (followed by a Splendor cruise in March, 2020 and a Middle East cruise on Explorer at the end of the year).  In between we take mini 7 day cruises that are near to home.  Last year it was on Celebrity and this year it is on a cruise line that you are very familiar with (I prefer not to post the name of the cruise line on a public forum.)

We just had a Galley Lunch that was very good.  That’s all for now.

Jackie

Guess we will miss you in March. You will be getting off in LA and we will be boarding for the cruise to Miami.

J&C

1 hour ago, JPR said:

What do you order at Chartreuse? Aside from the steak tartare with caviar, we have been  generally underwhelmed. Prefer Jacques Pepin on the Oceania O ships.

Although we preferred the menus offered by the previous Regent "French" restaurant, Signatures, we find the following dishes to be very good:

Appetisers: 

• Steak Tartare
  •  Cheese Souffle
  •  Fois Gras Terrine

Mains:

• Tournedos Rossini
  • Rack of Lamb

Desserts:

• Floating Island
  • Apple Tart

Also the cheese board is excellent; an agreeable selection of French cheeses is served at the correct temperature (not too cold) from the trolley and is delicious 😋

Happy in a way to see the Chartreuse menu.  I love Tornedos Rossini (but am not sure that a cut other than filet will work for this). Not so happy about the other things... thanks for posting it anyway.

St Martin - I assume then the French side of the island?  We had that too as a Replacement for St Barts on a previous cruise.  Shopping is very “high end”. And to much so for me...no longer in the market for thiusands of francs of jewelry!  But clean and some nice places to eat.  SO great that Regent moved so fast to add a port on this cruise. Shows the quality of management I think...

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Although we preferred the menus offered by the previous Regent "French" restaurant, Signatures, we find the following dishes to be very good:

Appetisers: 

• Steak Tartare
  •  Cheese Souffle
  •  Fois Gras Terrine

Mains:

• Tournedos Rossini
  • Rack of Lamb

Desserts:

• Floating Island
  • Apple Tart

Also the cheese board is excellent; an agreeable selection of French cheeses is served at the correct temperature (not too cold) from the trolley and is delicious 😋

Agree, we also preferred Signatures.   

Another vote for the steak tartare, that seems to always get good reviews on this forum

For mains, here is what I would not recommend-

Dover sole and scallops were ok, but far better in Compass Rose

The veal had good flavor, but was a little tough.  I haven't tried the tournedos Rossini or rack of lamb as of yet, but will most likely on my next visit.

And another vote for the floating island.

While Chartreuse is not my favorite dining venue, I still would recommend that it be tried, as everyone's taste is different, and you never know unless you try.

Bob

Chartreuse menu doesn’t change much if at all.  I seem to recall that it had mushroom soup but it isn’t on the menu now (wish that it was).  My favorite dish in Chartreuse is rack of lamb.   When we dine there on the last night I’ll likely have escargots as an appetizer and the lamb.  Not impressed with much on the menu but really enjoy Chartreuse for lunch on Explorer (the only Regent ships that has specialty restaurants open for lunch (assume that Splendor will be the same).

We have heard about the boat competition but have not experienced it.  Must assume that it is done when there are quite a few sea days.  It does sound like fun!

I mentioned that the Navigator and Explorer will be refurbished in 2019 but was asked about Voyager (when they will fix the bash). While I do not have a specific date, she will be refurbished in early 2020.  Voyager has documents stating that it is perfectly safe for her to sail - it is basically cosmetic damage.

Tonight we were speaking with newly promoted Staff Captain Marco who we met on Explorer two years ago. This is his first contract as a Staff Captain and he definitely has been challenged with the weather, finding the lifeboat adrift, etc.  While he is perfectly capable of handling these challenges it is unusual so have so many things happening on one cruise.  I learned that the lifeboat came off of a cargo ship in April, 2018 so it has been adrift for 7 months.  According to maritime law, whomever wants the ship can take it but I doubt if anyone wants a lifeboat that has been drifting around the sea for this long.

For anyone that was part of zsqueeze1’s “Bloody Mary and Margarita Society” -a made-up name for the group of us that met at the pool bar on Explorer every afternoon, we finally found the bartender - Peter.  He is in the Horizon Lounge bar (they rotate on each cruise so I would look for him at the different bars - he makes great drinks).

Hard to believe that Thanksgiving is the day after tomorrrow.  Truly hope that all of you that celebrate this special day will have a wonderful time.  And for those that do not celebrate, it may be a good day to think about everything in your lives that you are greatful for!

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

For anyone that was part of zsqueeze1’s “Bloody Mary and Margarita Society” -a made-up name for the group of us that met at the pool bar on Explorer every afternoon, we finally found the bartender - Peter.  He is in the Horizon Lounge bar (they rotate on each cruise so I would look for him at the different bars - he makes great drinks).

WOW! So very happy you found Peter! We all had some great times when the BM&M Society met! He took great care of us!

He even went so far as to find a "Mexican Elbow" so we could have fresh lime juice in our Margaritas.....now that's a bartender!

7 hours ago, seaknots said:

US tenderloin = Europe filet

I lived in the US for well over 20 years and never heard "tenderloin" used...filet was always filet.  Perhaps this is a regional thing (we were in NYC) - anyway if it is that it is the right cut!  I will certainly give it a try.  (On Riviera Jacques makes the second best Tournedos Rossini I have ever eaten - best is in Vétroz, Switzerland at the Régence Balavaud)  Would be nice if Chartreuse were up to those standards!!

• Like 1

When I am next in the US (pre our 2020 cruise) I will be able to order Beef Tenderloin knowing that it is filet!!  Thank you for that.  (Filet with Béarnaise is another of my favourites!)

Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating, especially those on the Voyager!   We don't have it here though for some odd reason shops are now advertising "Black Friday" sales!!  And in English too - not vendredi noir!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It took us a while to get used to the US description of beef cuts and steaks compared to the names used in the UK.

On Regent, we usually find that the ribeye steak served in Compass Rose is delicious with the best balance of texture and flavour  😋

Fish dishes, as well, have different names in the US & UK. for example the truly delicious miso glazed sea bass served on Regent SSS nights is prepared with a chunky fish resembling cod - nothing like the sea bass we buy here.

European sea bass is invariably called Branzino on the ships' menus.

"Two countries separated by a common language"  🙂

Sorry to continue this off-topic conversation

I'm enjoying the discussion of what different foods are called around the world.  While I do not recall the source, my husband learned that what we in the U.S. call "Chilean Sea Bass" was at one time called "Tooth Fish".  With such an unpopular name, it was not enticing so they changed the name.  I particularly like Chilean Sea Bass due to it's thickness and texture.  Mediterranean Sea Bass (aka "Branzino" as mentioned above, is much thinner - still has a good flavor but, it doesn't have the texture that we like.

Speaking of fish, the Sole has been exceptionally good on this cruise.  We try to have fish as much as possible but do delve into Filet Mignon/Tenderloin/??? every week.  Of course, tomorrow we will have Turkey.  It is a shame in a way that everyone does not have a celebration where families and friends get together for dinner and share all of the things that they are thankful for.  This is not a gift giving holiday - we just give of ourselves which makes it my favorite holiday of the year.  Sadly, traveling on or around Thanksgiving is extremely difficult (storms, plane delays, etc. are typical) so we are unable to travel to where our family lives.  Thankfully we can use Facetime and see each other and share greetings.

Back to the Voyager...... in about an hour there will be a Champagne and sparking wine tasting (it could include Prosecco - not sure and my copy of Passages is upstairs (still needing me to take photos and post.)  I have become accustomed to the champagne served onboard - just need to have it mixed with something.  We still have the bottle of Veuvre Cliquot (likely misspelled) and may take it down for dinner tomorrow night.  

We will not be attending lectures today but will likely find other things to do.  A quick note regarding excursions in the Caribbean - the excursion that we wanted had an age restriction (as well as a weight restriction).  While the two of us together don't reach the weight limit, the age limit is an issue so we'll have to cancel.  I noted a similar restriction on our 2020 Splendor voyage - again in the Caribbean.

The crew continue to be over the top wonderful.  Our computer guru has been busy every single day of the cruise with multiple issues.  He alluded to some new computers being readied for this ship (I believe they are already on the Voyager but have yet to be installed).  If I learn more I will certainly share.

That is it for this post.  Activities and this evening's menu in CR will be posted a bit later.  Tonight is a French buffet in La Veranda - think we'll skip that one and will go back to Compass Rose and our delightful server Roxanne.

Champagne, sparking wines and desert wine tastings:

Champagne - Germain Brut Reserve France - Did not try

Machio Demi Cavalieri Prosecco 

Extra Dry Spumante Leonardini Doug Piedmont, Italy.  Very good

Chateau Du June Sauterne France

Soave Classico Recioto - Poesie Dessert Wine Venetian Italy- Very good - quite sweet

Port Croft Fine Ruby Vila Nona De Gaia, Portugal  - Did not try - prefer Tawny Port

Port Croft Fine Tawney Villa Nona De Gaia Portugal - Very good+

The winner - based on most people that we chatted with’s opinion and my personal favorite...

PRIMATERRA SPARKING ROSE EXTRA DRY ITALY

Thank you Travelcat2 for such an entertaining blog and in particular for the comprehensive wine lists. It is really useful for me in planning my wife's birthday when we are on board in December. I think we will probably give the Cristal champagne a miss this time though!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Age restriction?  Since Regent is a US company is that legal?  I suppose so.   I shall now have to comb through the excursions for our 2020 cruise to see which one it was (though it is unlikely I suppose that we have decided on that unless it is 18 holes of golf!!!)

Veuve Cliquot - my favourite (aside from Vincent Joudart - but you couldn't possibly get any of his champagnes!  Too small a production).    Enjoy your thanksgiving.   Ken and I at dinner tonight noted that it was Thanksgiving tomorrow and that we were giving thanks (lots of thanks!) NOT to have to eat turkey!!  To each his own...

Can I take it that the seas have calmed down and the weather is better AND warmer?