Any chance of getting a mobile app back?

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Let us know how that bookmark behaves over the next day or so. I have just tried it myself for the first time, and it immediately went to the first unread post for me, which was #3587 on 16 October, and positioned that post at the top of the page as those links should (although there is the continuing problem that the top fraction of the post is hidden under the heading banner).

If it only ever takes to you the top of a page, and does not attempt to position the page so that the first unread post is at the top of what you see, then there is something else going wrong that may be specific to your browser.

No, I don't like that either, and I don't use it for my normal Activity Streams for this reason. But I suggested it because it would test whether that Floataway Lounge thread now does appear in the Activity Stream that you have customised. Does it?

Nope, my LOTP thread still doesn't show in my Activity Stream.  I post almost exclusively on my Samsung using Chrome.  Others on that thread have also been complaining of erratic behavior of that thread.  I'm off to my cruise tomorrow, so might not have a chance for a while to further this discussion. 🙂 

3 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Nope, my LOTP thread still doesn't show in my Activity Stream.

Thanks. I've added it to one of my Activity Streams so I will see how it behaves with me.

Rather more importantly, enjoy your cruise and forget about the techie issues on CC for the duration!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JPH814 said:

I used to check CC daily on the old app Often multiple times a day.  Now i am hardly ever on. Not sure whyCC killed the app - maybe they were paying for its use and it no longer was cost effective.  But as a long rine CC nember, they lost me. 

They killed the app because it wasn't compatible with the new software. They are working on a new one, but it will take time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Nope, my LOTP thread still doesn't show in my Activity Stream.

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Thanks. I've added it to one of my Activity Streams so I will see how it behaves with me.

I've actually set up an Activity Stream which will only pick up this thread (because it's the only thread I'm following in the Floataway Lounge). So far, if I ask it to show every post, it seems to show every post - I have checked back through the last couple of dozen.

So when you are back we may need to see whether your other Activity Stream settings need tweaking.

9 hours ago, JPH814 said:

I used to check CC daily on the old app Often multiple times a day.  Now i am hardly ever on. Not sure whyCC killed the app - maybe they were paying for its use and it no longer was cost effective.  But as a long rine CC nember, they lost me. 

I agree. With the App, I checked in multiple times per day because it was quick and easy.  Now I might check twice a week because the new site is slow and cumbersome. I’m not sure how CC makes money in the Forums, but I am guessing revenue has dropped with the decrease in users / visits. That will probably get action quicker than anything else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

They killed the app because it wasn't compatible with the new software. They are working on a new one, but it will take time. 

And they didn't have a replacement ready because someone decided that it was not necessary because the new board was mobile friendly. They were wrong, as shown by the decreased usage. If they hadn't made this decision during the development of the new boards, there would have been an app replacement at the time that the boards were rolled out.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

And they didn't have a replacement ready because someone decided that it was not necessary because the new board was mobile friendly. They were wrong, as shown by the decreased usage. If they hadn't made this decision during the development of the new boards, there would have been an app replacement at the time that the boards were rolled out.

Instead the complaints would have been about how different the new app was and how it was unusable and much more difficult to navigate. Bottom line is that a goodly number of users simply hate change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, broberts said:

Instead the complaints would have been about how different the new app was and how it was unusable and much more difficult to navigate. Bottom line is that a goodly number of users simply hate change.

Still would have been better than saying "we decided that you don't need this because what we're giving you is just as good" when it isn't.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, Skyrose said:

I'm another one who really  misses the mobile app.  I had at various times used both the CC app and tapatalk, and they were far superior to the current mobile web site.  My use of CC has also fallen WAY off.  

On another note:  I can't' find a way to search within a forum anymore.  Is that feature also gone, or am I missing something.   thanks!

I can't even post on my tablet or my phone,  nor can I open any notifications without going on my laptop, very confusing

Rose

1 minute ago, Fun Redhead said:

well, I used to do that too, now it just don,t work anymore and as I understand I am not the only one since they cancelled the old app.

You need to be much more specific than "it just don't work".

Apps do not work. Use your mobile browser.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

You need to be much more specific than "it just don't work".

Apps do not work. Use your mobile browser.

Since you asked.

I am a member of a couple of forums that use the same version of IPBoard/Invision Community as Cruise Critic - but who have the Tapatalk plugin installed. One of the forums has their own app which is written using Tapatalk white label. (That's what the CC app was written on. However, the version of the old CC app would not support the current version of IPBoard, which is why it won't work anymore.) The other forum does not have a white label app, so you'd have to use the Tapatalk app. On the first forum, you can use either their app or Tapatalk. 

The speed of the mobile browser is noticeably slower when compared to the app versions. The data overhead, or bandwidth usage is quite a bit higher for the browser version. That might not be a big deal if you have unlimited data on your mobile plan, but not everyone does. 

There are display issues on the mobile and tablet versions of the browser based site. It's most noticeable in font support. (This should be a relatively simple fix since it can be done via CSS.) 

In any case, there's a pretty big difference between "mobile responsive" and "optimized for mobile." 

People miss optimized. I know that I do, and I figured out how to do most things in the mobile browser version. (I'll go out on a limb and say that I can probably do more than average.) 

That still does not change the fact that I'd be happier with a mobile optimized version of the site. There are people like my wife, who used the site 4 or 5 days a week via the app. She stopped using CC completely - and she has the site bookmarked on her phone and tablet - and I set up her custom activity streams. I can only imagine what it's like for people without in-house technical support. 

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2018 at 9:30 AM, Charles4515 said:

It can happen if CC changes it's mind and installs the plug-in for Tapatalk that works with this software. I am on another site that uses the same forum software and they got Tapatalk to work a day after switching to the software. If people keep asking for Tapatalk maybe CC will install it. 

Today I can't even use my smartphone browserfor CC as it won't log on. Rejects my password. But I can log on from the computer.......

I, for one, miss Tapatalk and would welcome its return!  

6 hours ago, POA1 said:

Since you asked.

I am a member of a couple of forums that use the same version of IPBoard/Invision Community as Cruise Critic - but who have the Tapatalk plugin installed. One of the forums has their own app which is written using Tapatalk white label. (That's what the CC app was written on. However, the version of the old CC app would not support the current version of IPBoard, which is why it won't work anymore.) The other forum does not have a white label app, so you'd have to use the Tapatalk app. On the first forum, you can use either their app or Tapatalk. 

The speed of the mobile browser is noticeably slower when compared to the app versions. The data overhead, or bandwidth usage is quite a bit higher for the browser version. That might not be a big deal if you have unlimited data on your mobile plan, but not everyone does. 

There are display issues on the mobile and tablet versions of the browser based site. It's most noticeable in font support. (This should be a relatively simple fix since it can be done via CSS.) 

In any case, there's a pretty big difference between "mobile responsive" and "optimized for mobile." 

People miss optimized. I know that I do, and I figured out how to do most things in the mobile browser version. (I'll go out on a limb and say that I can probably do more than average.) 

That still does not change the fact that I'd be happier with a mobile optimized version of the site. There are people like my wife, who used the site 4 or 5 days a week via the app. She stopped using CC completely - and she has the site bookmarked on her phone and tablet - and I set up her custom activity streams. I can only imagine what it's like for people without in-house technical support. 

95% of my phone data usage is via WiFi so its virtually unlimited.

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

95% of my phone data usage is via WiFi so its virtually unlimited.

I have both unlimited (and unthrottled) cellular data and home & office data with large caps and high speeds. However, as someone whose company makes a good part of its living on websites and apps, I know to be cautious about not caring about data consumption.

A full 20% of US users have cellular data but no broadband at home. (Source: Pew Research) It's about the same for Canada and slightly higher in Europe. This is on an upward trend. It was only 12% in 2016.

About.half of cellular data users have plans in the less than 5GB per month range, and less and 2GB is a significant chunk of that. (Source: Ericsson Mobile.)

You may note that parent company TripAdvisor has an app - despite that fact that their website is mobile responsive. (Bring up their website on a phone without the TripAdvisor app installed and you're presented with a pop-up asking you if you would like to install the app for a better experience..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

I have both unlimited (and unthrottled) cellular data and home & office data with large caps and high speeds. However, as someone whose company makes a good part of its living on websites and apps, I know to be cautious about not caring about data consumption.

A full 20% of US users have cellular data but no broadband at home. (Source: Pew Research) It's about the same for Canada and slightly higher in Europe. This is on an upward trend. It was only 12% in 2016.

About.half of cellular data users have plans in the less than 5GB per month range, and less and 2GB is a significant chunk of that. (Source: Ericsson Mobile.)

You may note that parent company TripAdvisor has an app - despite that fact that their website is mobile responsive. (Bring up their website on a phone without the TripAdvisor app installed and you're presented with a pop-up asking you if you would like to install the app for a better experience..

I have T-Mobile, 2gb unthrottled, rarely hit it. High speed internet is included with our condo fees, and rhat also allows me to use thousands of Spectrum hot spots. I also have free internet on Royal Caribbean, so I guess I'm just unsympathetic.  😉

On 11/23/2018 at 10:56 AM, 1025cruise said:

Again, they have said that a new app is in development. While no ETA has been given, we just need to be patient. 

All they have to do is install the Tapatalk plug in and have instant mobile app. It is compatible, I am using Tapatalk on Amtrak Unlimited which uses the same Invision Forum software that Cruise Critic switched to. 

CC is losing people. I am on a few social media cruise groups and dozens of people on each have said they have given up on coming to CC because of no mobile app,  and because of log in issues. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 11:27 AM, John&LaLa said:

I have T-Mobile, 2gb unthrottled, rarely hit it. High speed internet is included with our condo fees, and rhat also allows me to use thousands of Spectrum hot spots. I also have free internet on Royal Caribbean, so I guess I'm just unsympathetic.  😉

I have unlimited cell data and unlimited home wifi so that is not my issue. My issue is that using the mobile browser for CC on my phone is so slow and clunky. It wastes time. CC zipped with Tapatalk and it was easy to follow subscribed threads and boards. 

• Like 1

They have said the Tapatalk plugin is not compatible with the login mechanism they are using. 

I'm no expert on forum software. Plus, with a forum the size of CC, I can't imagine that changing platforms was a simple task (given that it took a week to migrate everything to the point of turning the system on). I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they tested the plugin before making the change and determined that it didn't work for them. I can't assume they made the decision to not support mobile apps lightly. I would also assume that the migration wasn't the first time they did a migration, they must have done a few test runs. But, like anything, until you get all of the users on the platform you don't find every quirk. 

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:25 PM, muggo11 said:

I, for one, miss Tapatalk and would welcome its return!  

I'll second that - looking forward to an app to help access the message boards through mobile devices. Was spoiled with the TapATalk app which made it so easy to read and post messages!

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have unlimited cell data and unlimited home wifi so that is not my issue. My issue is that using the mobile browser for CC on my phone is so slow and clunky. It wastes time. CC zipped with Tapatalk and it was easy to follow subscribed threads and boards. 

You know, with the systematic changes to the new version, there are no guarantees that if the plug in worked it would function the same as Tapatalk did previously. 😉

On 11/22/2018 at 11:17 PM, POA1 said:

Since you asked.

Thank you so much for your detailed information...i now uninstalled tapa  talk and just use the website, which works on my Samsung tablet, but still not on my cellphone...i can see all responses, but cannot download to read it..or even type anything, maybe my phone is just too old it is a Samsung S5 Neo.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your help,

Rose