STRUCK w/PNEUMONIA on the Breakaway Sailing 10/27/2018

AriesBlond

HI All! I wanted to ask if anyone else became ill with a  bad bug (mine pneumonia) on the Breakaway sailing., 15 night 10/27/18?

I became sick Sat. and worse Sunday the 27 TH as I was disembarking. I then knew this was a huge deal. I ended up the following Tuesday in the hospital, developed sepsis and had a hard time recovering from the sickness.

I don't have 'normal' insurance. I bought it for the cruise though.

I am wondering if I can contact the company and file a claim for all my medical. I worry b/c I left the ship when it was starting up inside me. I most defiantly caught something on board and I don't know how to prove that, or if I need to to the insurance company. I was in the hospital for one week fighting this severe illness and sepsis.

What do you think? thank you.

I think if you can get a doctor's letter that estimates the contraction window as during your cruise, based on average progression /incubation for the virus or bacteria you had, you might be able to get some coverage.  It will also depend on the language in your specific insurance policy, whether it requires you to have been diagnosed on board, or whether it covers treatment for services that started after the cruise is over.  The language in your policy is the most important part -- It has to allow for exposure /contraction onboard, with treatment commencing afterwards.  Good luck

The best thing to do is contact the travel insurance company and talk to them to. Last year when i had to submit a claim due to visiting the medical center on board the ship, they was additional things i was able to claim that i did not know about. It helped as i was able to get more money back then i expected

Sorry that OP got sick, but the policy had a cutoff period. OP likely had to seek treatment prior to that cutoff time, which is normally when you arrive back home from your trip. Trip insurance is not designed or sold to cover illnesses that begin treatment after you get home.

28 minutes ago, shof515 said:

The best thing to do is contact the travel insurance company and talk to them to. Last year when i had to submit a claim due to visiting the medical center on board the ship, they was additional things i was able to claim that i did not know about. It helped as i was able to get more money back then i expected

Good.  

But you did visit the ship's medical center.  That makes all the difference.

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

If you didn't receive any medical attention on board the ship I think your chances of getting anything from NCL is slim to none, and Slim just left town.

I took it they were trying to get coverage from their trip insurance, for a medical condition contracted onboard — which is completely different than “getting something form NCL”

25 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Did you stay on board? Did you not get off in any ports?  How can you prove it was ONBOARD if you got off the ship in some ports??

That's irrelevant -- the trip insurance would cover any illness contracted on the trip, regardless if contracted on the ship, or in a port.  The only relevant question is if the insurance will cover an illness contracted during the trip, but treatment starting after the trip.  

3 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

If you didn't receive any medical attention on board the ship I think your chances of getting anything from NCL is slim to none, and Slim just left town.

Your travel insurance coverage ended on the last day of your cruise. They will not cover any treatment for any medical care you required after the conclusion of the cruise. Sorry. 

Your trip insurance does not necessarily end when you leave the ship -- it ends on the date you indicated your travel was intended to be over, when purchasing your policy-- unless you purchased the cruise line insurance, which may end as soon as the cruise is over. I book my own insurance, so can't speak to that.  If you are staying a few days extra, then traveling to your home, that time is all a part of your trip, and should be covered under your policy.  While I think it's doubtful, given that OP doesn't  appear to have sought medical treatment during the trip dates, that any coverage will be forthcoming, no one here knows for sure without being able to read the actual policy.  

Edited by 3kidsncats

10 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Your trip insurance does not necessarily end when you leave the ship -- it ends on the date you indicated your travel was intended to be over, when purchasing your policy-- unless you purchased the cruise line insurance, which may end as soon as the cruise is over. I book my own insurance, so can't speak to that.  If you are staying a few days extra, then traveling to your home, that time is all a part of your trip, and should be covered under your policy.  While I think it's doubtful, given that OP doesn't  appear to have sought medical treatment during the trip dates, that any coverage will be forthcoming, no one here knows for sure without being able to read the actual policy.  

This is important.

And it's a reason to get third party insurance, so you can be covered from the moment you leave your home, until the moment you return.

We often add a land trip after some cruises, and we obviously want to be covered for those costs as well.  And if we don't need to pre-pay the hotels, but just "guarantee" them, then they don't add much cost to the policy.

Indeed, one of our two large claims involved getting sick during the land portion of a trip.  I ended up in hospital.

The insurance paid for almost an extra week at our same hotel (5 star), as DH needed a place to stay, and when I got out, I couldn't travel for a few days (all documented in writing by a physician).

The only delay to that claim was a brief problem with translating for the physician precisely which information was needed.

We used Travel Insured, purchased through TripInsuranceStore.

We almost called MedJetAssist that time, but fortunately, I started recovering shortly after we first starting discussing, "should we call them now or not?", etc.

GC

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I agree with the previous posters that the ship insurance ended when you left the ship.

you might want to recheck the date as there is no Sunday oct 27th  

What does the fact that October 27th was a Saturday instead of a Sunday have to do with anything?

I am curious as to when OP came down with the illness. Was it at the beginning of the cruise, or was it after OP returned home. Based on the description it is hard to tell. As I recall that cruise was delayed, due to a major storm that prevented it from arriving in time, and boarding was delayed until late at night.

I suspect that Op came down with the illness as the cruise was ending and did not seek any treatment until arriving at home. If that is the case the travel insurance is not going to cover anything, that is what your regular insurance  or medicare is for. In fact if you were treated in the US, your trip insurance would be secondary coverage to your regular health insurance.

I suspect that the OP is getting ready to have a large hospital bill that has to be paid.

7 hours ago, zqvol said:

I suspect that the OP is getting ready to have a large hospital bill that has to be paid.

This is exactly what is happening. The OP can afford to take a 15 day cruise but has no "normal" health insurance? How can this be?  That doesn't seem too smart. Nobody enjoys paying for insurance but this is why you do. Now it's time for someone else to pay for their bad decisions apparently. It would be a long day in h33l before I would be taking 15 day cruises and not have "normal" health insurance unless there was a good reason or circumstances that prevented that. A large bill is coming that could have been avoided most likely. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

Do you have the insurance through NCL? Both the Standard and Platinum plans state that if you seek initial treatment while on your trip, medical expenses for that illness are covered for up to 52 weeks following that illness. That includes hospitalization and related expenses.

If you sought treatment in the ship’s medical center or elsewhere while on the cruise, you are covered. 

Read your insurance policy and call them to discuss. 

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

This is exactly what is happening. The OP can afford to take a 15 day cruise but has no "normal" health insurance? How can this be?  That doesn't seem too smart. Nobody enjoys paying for insurance but this is why you do. Now it's time for someone else to pay for their bad decisions apparently. It would be a long day in h33l before I would be taking 15 day cruises and not have "normal" health insurance unless there was a good reason or circumstances that prevented that. A large bill is coming that could have been avoided most likely. 

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

I was thinking about the same thing. I realize, he/she traveling on a 15 day cruise without having standard insurance isn't any of our business but I totally agree with you and my guess is: they do not have a leg to stand on. 

16 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I hope that the Op is fully recovered, and feeling well again.

However, I think that her own insurance,if she has any, will be needed to pay for her hospitalization

I think she mentioned she doesn't carry any insurance. That is why she is hoping the travel insurance will step in.