What Would You Do?

JerseyGirlatHeart

We have a choice between two trips, both require 12 days off of work.  

For pricing comparison, Option #2 is around $900 more for same category cabin as Option #1.

Option #1:  14-day (7 ports with 1 that I have NOT visited in the past — St Croix).  Ship:  Silhouette right after Referb

Option #2:  17-day (B2B staying in same cabin # with a total of 8 ports [one repeat — St Maarten], additionally have visited all ports in the past).  Ship:  Reflection

Jersey

Normally I would say the  more days the better but this time I would likely pick Option #1.  Like the idea of right after refurb and not duplicating ports (although I have done a number of cruises like that - but mostly cuz I love the ABC islands and love re-visitng them).  Also do not like going to St. Maarten since the hurricane so that would factor into my choice.  If you could add any pre/post time in Florida you might not feel cheated out of a few days.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

We have a choice between two trips, both require 12 days off of work.  

For pricing comparison, Option #2 is around $900 more for same category cabin as Option #1.

Option #1:  14-day (7 ports with 1 that I have NOT visited in the past — St Croix).  Ship:  Silhouette right after Referb

Option #2:  17-day (B2B staying in same cabin # with a total of 8 ports [one repeat — St Maarten], additionally have visited all ports in the past).  Ship:  Reflection

Jersey

Easy decision for me.  Option #1.  I feel Silhouette is less crowded than Reflection.  Love the staff on Silhouette as well.  Been on both several times.

I would choose option 2 for the longer time. Also, sometimes refurbs take longer than anticipated. There are several threads about those instances on CC.  The revolution refurbs may take longer since they promise to be sweeping updates. We've had no problems with Reflection feeling crowded.

If it was me, I’d go with Option 1. It’s not a B2B so the menus and entertainment will not repeat and I think I would be fun to be on after this major refurb. With that said, we are doing a B2B East/West Carib and looking forward to it and a 17N would be grand. 

Tough choices and both are great cruises. Isn’t it fun having such options!  

Den

I'd go with #2. It's longer and being the first on a refurb isn't always a good thing. We took a cruise right after a refurb and our rooms air conditioning didn't work, the ship smell like paint and varnish and there was still construction debris around. 

36 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Option 2.  For $900 to get another 5 days in the Caribbean in February s a no brainer.

But you don’t get 5 days in the Caribbean. You get some sea days heading back and forth to FT Lauderdale and a turnaround day there. I’d rather get deeper into the Caribbean. 

We like the Silhouette more than the Reflection because of the crowding issue.  However, more then forty years of extensive cruising experience has taught me to avoid a ship immediately after a major drydock.  The problem is that renovations are often not completed in time and this can cause issues on the following cruise (it is not uncommon to have contractors working to finish things).  And given a choice between 14 and 17 day we would normally opt for the longer cruise.  While one more day might not be a deal maker, 3 days is significant.

Hank

We prefer Silhouette to Ref for sev reasons...no of  pax and several layout difference...

After the refurb it may be very nice if completed on time, esp for dining, spa suites if you have one.

St Croix would not be my determining factor,....we were not impressed with this island,

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

But you don’t get 5 days in the Caribbean. You get some sea days heading back and forth to FT Lauderdale and a turnaround day there. I’d rather get deeper into the Caribbean. 

Yes that's true, but the OP is from Virginia.  I'll suggest that 5 days in Fort Lauderdale and any where on the ocean south is better than Virginia in February.

Interesting comments about the chances of refurb having issues, but listen to your gut or you may be second guessing...do not let money drive your decision either way, as it is vacation time!

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yes that's true, but the OP is from Virginia.  I'll suggest that 5 days in Fort Lauderdale and any where on the ocean south is better than Virginia in February.

Oh hell yeah, but $900 and three nights in the keys wouldn’t be hard to take either. 

Good split of opinions. I would go with option 2 because, 1-unless I am in a suite, not too much new on the upgrade on S class ships and possibly down side with delayed completion and 2-any chance to spend more days onboard is a good thing. I’m fine with repeat menus since I can always pick something else if I want. Either way, have a great trip. 

Go with #2. I forget which ship we were on immediately after a refurbishment and varnishing on some verandas and inside was not finished. The smell while they finished was nasty and lingered. St Croix is not really more than another beach day. We will be doing 24 days on the Summit B2B but each 12 day section has a few different ports and going out of San Juan we use the Pan American port not Old Town but we stay for a few days each end at a favorite hotel to escape the tundra of Wisconsin in January.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who replied, lots of interesting opinions.  Wanted to get back and let you know I decided to go with the 17-night.  After negotiating with TA, I paid a little more (a little under $1,200 in lieu of $900, but ended up with $1,000 in OBC, Premium Bev Pack, WiFi, Gratuities [the 14-night was offered Premium Bev Pack, WiFi, Gratuities, $350 OBC]) all in all, a good day.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1