RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

25 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ok.   You are right about that.  That's really micromanaging.  They can't run their website but they can do that?  It must be outsourced.   No way could their IT do it.

Got that right. Their IT is a joke. They totally messed up my and DH accounts - eliminated all his points including his C&A# and gave them all to me - plus when my husband tried to log into his account w/ his email/pwd it came up with my name and information. Took multiple calls to multiple people, spent countless hours over the past month to get it fixed. No idea how it happened - my husband and I have separate emails and passwords so it definitely wasn't us - and of course they won't admit it was their fault either. 

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

BUT..if someone in an inside has a bid for a balcony room and that amount PLUS what you bid on the JS will net them more money than your GS bid, they make take the JS bid.  RoyalUp is not a highest bidder wins auction..every bid acceptance has a snowball effect.

I'm sure someone else is bidding on the JS as well

7 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

This Is all too much for my head 🤕

I didn't comment much, every case is different.....Cannot compare A to B. But the  upgrade fairy god mother visited just recently, waved her wand and my ocean view cabin magically turned into a balcony. No I did not get a pumpkin for a coach, I did not get a glass slipper and I am still looking for that darn Prince.......but all I am left with is a balcony cabin. Ok I will take that! Gladly!

• Haha 1

I stupidly "upgraded" from a standard balcony to a to spacious ocean view and I ended up losing 4sqs of space overall. I told them to keep the money and I will have my old room back and they wouldn't let me. So an upgrade isn't always an upgrade.

43 minutes ago, Nikkstar said:

I stupidly "upgraded" from a standard balcony to a to spacious ocean view and I ended up losing 4sqs of space overall. I told them to keep the money and I will have my old room back and they wouldn't let me. So an upgrade isn't always an upgrade.

Did you have the real square footage info before you bid?  I know that sometimes the info on Royal's deck plan is not accurate.

I had this as the first option on my recent Anthem cruise.  I did not bid on it because I thought the spacious ocean view from the deck plans were only larger balconies and not cabin space. I had a balcony.  I did bid max on the next two choices JS and GS.  Nothing was accepted.  My humble thinking is that most of the time the upgrade will be only one level (which they considered spacious ocean view to be).  Also I was cruising New England which always sells out the suites and none had been available for quite a while before the cruise. I did not officially get my rejection until late evening the night before the cruise.  Until I read through all the posts I had been expecting something, but realized from others' experiences it wasn't going to happen.  Will I ever bid again, probably.......    Does anyone know of an bid accepted to a cabin greater than just one "step" up?

19 minutes ago, KLMB said:

I had this as the first option on my recent Anthem cruise.  I did not bid on it because I thought the spacious ocean view from the deck plans were only larger balconies and not cabin space. I had a balcony.  I did bid max on the next two choices JS and GS.  Nothing was accepted.  My humble thinking is that most of the time the upgrade will be only one level (which they considered spacious ocean view to be).  Also I was cruising New England which always sells out the suites and none had been available for quite a while before the cruise. I did not officially get my rejection until late evening the night before the cruise.  Until I read through all the posts I had been expecting something, but realized from others' experiences it wasn't going to happen.  Will I ever bid again, probably.......    Does anyone know of an bid accepted to a cabin greater than just one "step" up?

I've read about OVBs getting bids accepted on GS and above in this thread, and JS getting bids accepted into Sky class. Can't really chalk it up to one definitive factor beyond RCI is just gonna do whatever they want.  

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Did you have the real square footage info before you bid?  I know that sometimes the info on Royal's deck plan is not accurate.

Hey Bob - so the "spacious balcony" cabins are not always larger than the "standard balcony"? (honest question, not sarcasm which is easier sometimes!)

Bob 

20 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Hey Bob - so the "spacious balcony" cabins are not always larger than the "standard balcony"? (honest question, not sarcasm which is easier sometimes!)

Bob 

They are supposed to be larger, but I'd have to look at the deck plan (assuming it's accurate) for the specific ship/categories.

4 hours ago, Nikkstar said:

The balcony may have been larger

And sometimes spacious can refer to occupancy levels above two. It might have a sofa bed.

Ultra spacious is the really big balcony cabins

Edited by John&LaLa

3 hours ago, KLMB said:

I was just awarded a balcony from an inside room for my upcoming repo on Serenade. A number of us went from inside to balcony for what the system called a weak bid. That is a two step upgrade. Strangely when I got the email to bid, the min bid for the balcony was lower than an ocean view with just a window, no balcony.

Edited by Motorman23
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:11 PM, John&LaLa said:

Just curious, do you have any valid data that bidding on a JS will lessen your chance of getting an OS?  Seems a stretch

This is just a hunch, but I don't think the system directly considers what else you've bid on. I think it just runs all the scenarios and evaluates all the cascading effects of each move and picks whichever "path" makes Royal the most money. At least that's how I would write the algorithm. For example (using Anthem), let's say that there is one SL available. Below are a list of people, their current cabins, and their bids.

Anne(OS): SL - 700

Bob (GS): SL - 800, OS - 700

Bill (GS): SL - 700, OS - 500

Mary (JS): OS - 1000, GS - 500

Cindy (D1): JS - 100

If you went with straight up highest bid, then Bob should get the Sky Loft, and Mary should get Anne's Owner's Suite if Anne got the SL. Let's run the scenarios.

Scenario 1
Anne - SL +700
Bob - OS +700
Mary - GS +500
Cindy - JS +100

In this scenario, Royal nets an additional 2000 from this arrangement.

Scenario 2
Anne - SL +700
Mary - OS +1000
Cindy - JS +100

In this scenario, Royal nets an additional 1800 from this arrangement.

Scenario 3
Bob - SL +800
Mary - GS +500
Cindy - JS +100

Cindy - JS +100

In this scenario, Royal nets an additional 1500 from this arrangement.

Based on these scenarios, Royal would pick #1 for the most money. From Bob's perspective, he lost out on the SL even though he outbid Anne, and Mary lost out on the OS even though she outbid Bob.

Let's see how increasing some bids affects the outcome for others. Mary and Cindy really want their upgrades, so they increase their bids by 300 each.

Scenario 4 (Mary and Cindy increase bids)
Bob - SL +800
Mary - GS +800
Cindy - JS +500

In this scenario, Royal nets an additional 2100 from this arrangement.

This time Bob beats Anne out of the SL, thanks to the cascading effect of Mary making Bob's cabin more valuable and Cindy making Mary's cabin more valuable.

Let's try another scenario. Can reducing your bid on other cabins affect the outcome? Mary is starting to cool on GS and reduces her bid from 500 to 200. Revisiting Scenario 1:

Scenario 1a
Anne - SL +700
Bob - OS +700
Mary - GS +200
Cindy - JS +100

In this scenario, Royal nets an additional 1700 from this arrangement, and Scenario 2 wins out. By decreasing her bid on the GS, Mary ended up with the OS instead of the GS, Anne still gets the SL, and Bob and Bill stay put. It looks like decreasing bids on your other cabins may affect the outcome for yourself and others. Of course others may change their bids as well, so it's not guaranteed. If Bob also decides to increase his bid by 200, then Scenario 1 wins again.

I think there may be other factors that Royal can use to weigh and tweak the results a bit, maybe giving a little more weight to new cruisers or those with higher status (as others have suggested).

• Thanks 1

I decided to place a bid last week on a Grand Suite on the 25th November sailing on Quantum. A few days earlier I paid a very small amount for a normal revenue upgrade from interior to alarge balcony cabin. I was offered upgrades to Junior Suite, Grand Suite and Owner's Suite. I bid £25 per person above the minimum, which was considered week. Today I got an email that my bid got accepted. I am now in a Grand Suite on deck 8. Now I have to find out what this gets me on Quantum apart from the Coastal Kitchen access, which is the main reason I did this. I was considering getting the ultimate dining package and this actually ended up being cheaper even if you take the revenue upgrade into account. 

Corinna

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kuddles14 said:

If you bid on a suite weather JS or above , do you just get their perks or do you get double points too? 

just curious 

You get all the onboard perks of whatever stateroom you get.

You get points based on whatever your original stateroom would have earned.

• Thanks 1