RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Just to clarify again, are saying you are bidding on specific cabin numbers - that's what you are seeing in Royal Up?

No specific room types that all fall under star class.  I did a bid on the following...Royal Loft Suite, Panoramic Suite, Aqua 2 bedroom and Star Loft Suite

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadamG2U said:

I did a bid on the following...Royal Loft Suite, Panoramic Suite, Aqua 2 bedroom and Star Loft Suite

While as @John&LaLa pointed out there may be only one specific cabin in some of those categories, you are not bidding on a cabin, you are bidding on a category (and could get any cabin within that category), just like everyone else -  just wanted to clear that up.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Love this whole Royal Up idea. Instead of giving free upgrades to free up lower cost, more in demand cabins Royal suckers people into paying for what they use to give away. P.T Barnum would have been proud. 🤣😂

I look at it as an opportunity to get what you want. Potentially at a discount.  To each his own

Curious,  have you had many free upgrades under the old program?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got an upgrade today (Friday) for my sailing on Sunday.  That is cutting it close!  I might have already been traveling, but thankfully, we don't leave until tomorrow.  Just confirming that they DO award RoyalUps nearly last minute.  I was perfectly happy and fully expecting to NOT receive the upgrade and get the Saturday email "rejection" that I have before.  On Harmony in less than 48 hours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

While as @John&LaLa pointed out there may be only one specific cabin in some of those categories, you are not bidding on a cabin, you are bidding on a category (and could get any cabin within that category), just like everyone else -  just wanted to clear that up.

Thank you

I just got an email assigning me a GTY cabin 4 weeks prior to sailing.  So I don’t think they make everyone with GTY wait until the last minute due to Royal up.  Now we wait to see if bids are accepted.  If not I’m happy either way. Guess I should pack a sharpie and paper in case I need to write out new luggage tags at the last minute as we fly in 2 days prior.  Let the anticipation continue....

And we never got a visit from the upgrade fairy ( May she Rest In Peace) in 25 cruises with Royal.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

2 in 20 cruises. 

The upgrades were an unusual program and was based on someone wanting or needing your room and willing to pay a higher price then you paid for it. Then royal found an empty room they hadn’t sold or were not likely to sell in a higher category and you were awarded an upgrade. It was usually waitlisted people or families trying to get rooms together. Ultimately they didn’t loose any money by moving you. Now they decided to just let money be the deciding factor on upgrades. My wife and I had 1 upgrade in 28 cruises. I a willing to place a low bid for an upgrade esp if I have an inside room that was purchased at the lowest possible fare. Im not sure what Barnum would think because I don’t care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Motorman23 said:

The upgrades were an unusual program and was based on someone wanting or needing your room and willing to pay a higher price then you paid for it. Then royal found an empty room they hadn’t sold or were not likely to sell in a higher category and you were awarded an upgrade. It was usually waitlisted people or families trying to get rooms together. Ultimately they didn’t loose any money by moving you. Now they decided to just let money be the deciding factor on upgrades. My wife and I had 1 upgrade in 28 cruises. I a willing to place a low bid for an upgrade esp if I have an inside room that was purchased at the lowest possible fare. Im not sure what Barnum would think because I don’t care.

The free upgrades were few and far between but what I find more annoying is the low cost upgrades around final payment date are also gone thanks to bidding. At least four times we were able to upgrade to JSs for about $100 as Royal would drop prices around final payment date. So the advantage to being observant of price drops is gone as people just bid more. 

1 hour ago, dolphingirl47 said:

I cannot find the original email anymore, but I remember it was £25 for Junior Suite or £75 for Grand Suite. It was over £200 for an Owner’s Suite so I discarded that idea straightaway.

Was that the per person minimum bid for quantum? Curious as we are in a JS later this year and would like to know if upgrading is a possibility.  It is for a 5 night cruise. Many thanks 😊

7 minutes ago, loji13 said:

Was that the per person minimum bid for quantum? Curious as we are in a JS later this year and would like to know if upgrading is a possibility.  It is for a 5 night cruise. Many thanks 😊

Yes, this was the per person minimum bit and we are also on a 5 night cruise.

Corinna

4 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

The free upgrades were few and far between but what I find more annoying is the low cost upgrades around final payment date are also gone thanks to bidding. At least four times we were able to upgrade to JSs for about $100 as Royal would drop prices around final payment date. So the advantage to being observant of price drops is gone as people just bid more. 

Can you really fault Royal for embracing technology to maximize profits on a perishable item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PCWalton1 said:

Fault them? not at all. They are a business trying to make money. But I do miss the free or cheap upgrades

We did a 12 night on Brilliance in a GS next to the RS several years ago. It went unsold so it became a bingo prize on night one. The winners moved in around midnight. 😱 Noisy as all get up.

I would have preferred if it had been assigned as a RoyalUP. 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We did a 12 night on Brilliance in a GS next to the RS several years ago. It went unsold so it became a bingo prize on night one. The winners moved in around midnight. 😱 Noisy as all get up.

I would have preferred if it had been assigned as a RoyalUP. 😉

Our first ever cruise was 2010 on Voyager for a Western Med cruise. About 2 months before the cruise we had a D1 balcony and got to jump to a JS for $220. Then the price began to drop. That was back before they cut off price drops at final payment date. By the time we cruised our $220 investment was the JS and $800 OBC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Is the Panoramic Suite one of the new ones over the bridge?

They are probably referring to the existing two panoramic suites on Deck 17 (the ones added in the previous dry dock).  I haven't seen the new ones offered for sale yet.  It is unclear whether they will be Sky or Star class, as the categorization grid places them between the 1 & 2 bedroom AquaTheater suites.

5 hours ago, timf2001 said:

They are probably referring to the existing two panoramic suites on Deck 17 (the ones added in the previous dry dock).  I haven't seen the new ones offered for sale yet.  It is unclear whether they will be Sky or Star class, as the categorization grid places them between the 1 & 2 bedroom AquaTheater suites.

I thought they were called Grand Loft and Royal Loft