Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

We talked with Captain Albert at dinner about the library books issue. He said that over a third of the books on this ship are already missing. 

Unbelievable. 

Um, not to try to start a war here, but if you are on a 14-day TA, and no one has really left the ship for good (other than Shore Excursions) how can you possibly have a third of the books "missing?"  Yes, a third can be borrowed by current passengers, but "missing" is probably not the best word for that situation.  After passengers debark in Ft. Lauderdale, except, of course, for those continuing on another B2B leg, then "missing" might be more accurate.  This just makes it seem so awful, which it might not really be at this point.  And, no, I do not think that no one would dare to remove a book permanently, but I believe it is way too soon to make that kind of judgement.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Um, not to try to start a war here, but if you are on a 14-day TA, and no one has really left the ship for good (other than Shore Excursions) how can you possibly have a third of the books "missing?"  Yes, a third can be borrowed by current passengers, but "missing" is probably not the best word for that situation.  After passengers debark in Ft. Lauderdale, except, of course, for those continuing on another B2B leg, then "missing" might be more accurate.  This just makes it seem so awful, which it might not really be at this point.  And, no, I do not think that no one would dare to remove a book permanently, but I believe it is way too soon to make that kind of judgement.

There were a lot of vendors and others onboard at the shipyard and preview events before she sailed.  She also did a 4 night shakedown cruise with a full load of invited guests.

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

I studied the sports deck for a bit the other  day and I can’t see how the marked lines on the basketball court could turn into a pickle ball court, so I’m going to say no. There’s also no mention of any pickle ball play. 😞

Tomorrow’s Where and When has “meet for a game of pickle ball” at 4 pm at the Sports Court on deck 11.  So maybe it doesn’t use the basketball court?

So nice you could have dinner with Captain Albert.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I am still at a loss to understand why anyone would steal a book.  Along with the extra weight, it would be nice to think that most people's morales are better than that. 😞 

After 12 years working at our small local library, it still amazes me that people will steal things that they can borrow for free. Granted most of the missing items are due to forgetfulness and/or carelessness  but the monetary loss is the same. And it's not just the original price of the book, there's the replacement cost of the item and the staff time needed to reorder and catalog the new one!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

already missing?  But the cruise isn't over?  Are passengers not allowed to take the books to their room to read?  Or are they missing from when the VIP's were on I wonder?

It must be Orlando. I hear he’s s big reader .........😅😅😅😅

Edited by scluvsrain
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

It must be Orlando. I hear he’s s big reader .........😅😅😅😅

LOL 😄 or he's just trying to prove that 1/3 of the books disappear 😉😄 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

Here’s a video of the Rollong Stone room tonight about a minute in you’ll see a very cool “little” dancer. 

Not working for me either, but I too, am on my Ipad.

I'll try it on the laptop later.

Might be the ship's internet?  If you want me to give it a shot Sherita, feel free to email it to me and I'll try posting it if you like.

I do find sometimes that there can be issues with videos on the ship. 😞 

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Might be the ship's internet?  If you want me to give it a shot Sherita, feel free to email it to me and I'll try posting it if you like.

Nor my MacBook Pro...

1 hour ago, kazu said:

already missing?  But the cruise isn't over?  Are passengers not allowed to take the books to their room to read?  Or are they missing from when the VIP's were on I wonder?

My thoughts exactly. How can they be missing when the cruise just began.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Nor my PC desktop

2 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

My thoughts exactly. How can they be missing when the cruise just began.

Because they already had a disembarkation in Civitavecchia. Some people see something they like and/or can use at home so they take it

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Because they already had a disembarkation in Civitavecchia. Some people see something they like and/or can use at home so they take it

Those were the VIP's and invites!

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

See post #520 please, Ma'am

Didn't see that as you posted while I was typing 😉. Thanks 😄  But they were still all invited, no?

Maybe security should keep a tighter eye on the TA industry 😉. 😄 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Well. I’m pretty excited to report that I got to have dinner with Captain Albert tonight. He’s apparently old friends with two of my table mates Donna and Ike. We had an open seat at the table and he just came and plopped himself down. I was super impressed with him. What a nice man and full of great stories!! A thoroughly enjoyable meal.  

What a treat!! Very exciting. 👍

Excellent photos and I appreciate the reading the reports of those aboard this new ship.  

Disappointed in the news about the book situation, however.  Ought we start a "Hire Librarians Campaign"?  

Whether there is an official book exchange area or not, I am going to be leaving whatever books that I have finished rather than hauling them off the ship.

• Thanks 1