Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

But we are here in Rome, it was a nice drive in, and we have a room overlooking the entrance to the American Embassy, so we can watch the security!

Sorry to hear about your inability to sleep on the flight Ann 😞 

Glad you have arrived safely and sounds like you can have some fun watching from your room 😄 

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry to hear about your inability to sleep on the flight Ann 😞 

Glad you have arrived safely and sounds like you can have some fun watching from your room 😄 

I really don’t sleep much on overnight flights, unless I have a “pod”, and they were asking $1500 for the upgrade, so for just a 7 hour flight, it didn’t seem worthwhile.  We had a cappuccino when we arrived at the hotel, so I’m wide awake now, and Pat is having a snooze.  We’ll go out around 1 for some lunch, maybe walk up to the Borghese Gallery.

My voyage has begun. 4:15 AM Uber ride to airport. Delta to Atlanta from Sacramento. Then evening flight From Atlanta to Rome. Long day and night ahead!!

No lost luggage for me this time. Traveling light. Only a carry-on and a backpack. Oh. And Snort. 

B5948744-928A-4765-940E-8789C13D3683.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

My voyage has begun. 4:15 AM Uber ride to airport. Delta to Atlanta from Sacramento. Then evening flight From Atlanta to Rome. Long day and night ahead!!

No lost luggage for me this time. Traveling light. Only a carry-on and a backpack. Oh. And Snort. 

Wow Sherita!  You did pack light.  Impressive 😄 

Glad you made room for Snort.  It's not a complete cruise without Snort along 😉 

Looks like we will meet you in Atlanta.

We are getting ready to go to the airport in Fort Myers.

Too bad we cannot pack "light", but our suitcases are well under  20 kg each.

Sorry to hear about your sleepless flight, Ann. Glad you all made it safe to Rome, cannot wait to see you all again!

Our rooms were ready for us when we arrived.  Sailingdutchy and his DW were greeted like long lost family members, kisses all around.  After a nap, we went to a small bakery around the corner with a dining room in the back, and had some spaghetti carbonara for lunch.  Then we walked the Via Veneto past Harry’s Bar, and all the way to the Borghese Gallery, which of course was closed, as it is Monday!  We continued around the park and saw a large and noisy flock of parrots in one of the Roman pines.  On the way back to the hotel, we stopped to buy a couple of bottles of wine and a big bottle of water.  I’m not sure what we are going to do about dinner.  I’m not really hungry, but maybe in a few hours.  I’m still on Victoria time. 

Sherita, you do travel light.  Does Snort wear orange?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Our rooms were ready for us when we arrived.  Sailingdutchy and his DW were greeted like long lost family members, kisses all around.  After a nap, we went to a small bakery around the corner with a dining room in the back, and had some spaghetti carbonara for lunch.  Then we walked the Via Veneto past Harry’s Bar, and all the way to the Borghese Gallery, which of course was closed, as it is Monday!  We continued around the park and saw a large and noisy flock of parrots in one of the Roman pines.  On the way back to the hotel, we stopped to buy a couple of bottles of wine and a big bottle of water.  I’m not sure what we are going to do about dinner.  I’m not really hungry, but maybe in a few hours.  I’m still on Victoria time. 

Sherita, you do travel light.  Does Snort wear orange?

So nice that your room was ready for you Ann 🙂

Absolutely loved the Borghese Gallery.  The grounds are beautiful too.  Hope you can get back to enjoy it.

Your lunch sounds delish. Good luck with adapting to the time change.  It's tough enough for us with a 5 hour difference.  You have a LOT more than that! 

Hi Ann-

Which hotel are you using? We will be in Rome in Nov 2019 (TA on the Rotterdam) and planned on using the Savoy again. But other recommendations are welcome. 

In April, we had dinner at La Scala (Via di S. Isidoro, 5, 00187 Roma RM, Italy) and Angolo Dell'Aurora (Via Aurora, 19, 00187 Roma RM, Italy). Both are short walks from the Savoy. 

2 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Do tell how you do over two weeks with only carry on!  And Snort is adorable.

Thanks so much for starting this thread! Will enjoy following the comments.  We'll be sailing on her in April.

(I'll be curious to hear any observations you want to share about the current condition of Club Orange, which apparently has to/had to be re-designed after management decided to turn the culinary arts center into a suite restaurant.)

13 hours ago, bennybear said:

Have flown and business and premium economy on it,  bigger windows,  less jet lag due to different pressurization and Lighting.  Very comfortable.  

Thanks, bennybear, for that info.  I agree the windows are better, didn't notice the lighting much as it was a late flight and we were trying to sleep.  Found the plane very similar to others of the size, very uncomfortable.

Very rough for 30 minutes coming in to land but the touchdown was excellent, much better than expected.  The best rough weather  landing ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCnurse said:

Do tell how you do over two weeks with only carry on!  And Snort is adorable.

Snort is my buddy. He’s traveled all over the world with me for almost 10 years now. And he’s a perfect companion. Well mannered. Doesn’t “hog” the bed. Never leaves the seat up. 

I always fear airlines will lose my luggage, especially when I fly Delta. Because it’s happened before to me. So that’s one reason. The other is someone on my recent Alaska cruise did it and she inspired me. Finally, I’ve learned how well I can do with so little, especially for 2 weeks. . One color scheme. Mix and match. Free laundry. A clever suitcase. Rolling the clothes technique.....and....believe it or not, I managed to pack 5 pairs of shoes in my bag and I wear a size 10!!! And yes, I eat in the dining room and packed for formal nights too. 

• Like 5