Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

There seems to be a very distinct Carnival influence in the decor of this ship. Not least the dining room which can only described as bizarre with those ‘ribs’!

The beautiful restrained decor of the earlier ships which made them so attractive seems to have gone for ever. 

Maybe I am just getting old but it is not to my taste.

Have a wonderful maiden crossing!

We had dinner tonight in the Tamarind and found some old friends there in the persons of the manager and some of the servers.  There is a new menu. I kind of miss the old one - this is more restricted, I guess because of the new sushi bar.  

Everything was was very good, though. 

Edited by Vict0riann

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We are going to eat at Rudi’s Sel de Mer tomorrow.  I understand the menu there has changed, too.  Rudi is on board overseeing all the changes.

Canaletto menu has changed, too.  No more Zuppa di pesche ....

Will be very interested to see what those changes are Ann, if you have time.

Loved Rudi's last time.

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

Yes. I saw this after dinner. It wasn’t set up earlier today when I was wandering around taking photos. 

I hope they’ll put up some more decorations. 

Caught a few minutes of the debut of Rolling Stones Rock venue. They were great and had a big crowd. I took a short video of them. 

Great job. Thanks again.

IInterestingly enough, my internet package says it expires on 12/20/2018 12 am.  We disembark on the morning of 12/19.  

We we bought the middle “Surf” package for $169 for the 14 days.  An option was 24 hours for $24.  I understand the Night Auditor will give us our discount, whatever it is.

i just went into the Navigator to see if I could get a screen shot of the internet packages, but the list has disappeared.  I will try to get a paper copy tomorrow and take a picture.

Edited by Vict0riann

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

IInterestingly enough, my internet package says it expires on 12/20/2018 12 am.  We disembark on the morning of 12/19.  

We we bought the middle “Surf” package for $169.  I understand the Night Auditor will give us our discount, whatever it is.

Thanks, good to know.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:29 AM, scluvsrain said:

My voyage has begun. 4:15 AM Uber ride to airport. Delta to Atlanta from Sacramento. Then evening flight From Atlanta to Rome. Long day and night ahead!!

No lost luggage for me this time. Traveling light. Only a carry-on and a backpack. Oh. And Snort. 

B5948744-928A-4765-940E-8789C13D3683.jpeg

Snort doesn’t need many changes of clothes!  He sure does get around!   I’m impressed with your light packing.  Free laundry is my favorite 4-star perk!  Have a wonderful cruise.

2 hours ago, Mickb said:

There seems to be a very distinct Carnival influence in the decor of this ship. Not least the dining room which can only described as bizarre with those ‘ribs’!

The beautiful restrained decor of the earlier ships which made them so attractive seems to have gone for ever. 

Maybe I am just getting old but it is not to my taste.

Have a wonderful maiden crossing!

Perhaps, but most folks have commented that the MDR is most influenced by the MDRs on Celebrity ships. The ribs are inspired by musical instruments, as is the decor on all Pinnacle class ships thus far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I'm not sure on this tree?

thanks for the pic. 🙂 

Captain Albert’s Blog  showed us some samples of the art of the Nieuw Statendam.  From his photos and descriptions it sounds like the art is something to be contemplated, not always what you expect when doing a quick walk by.  The same seems to be true of the Christmas Tree.  Great job of photographing the artwork, Sherita!

Kudos for being #1 aboard!

1 hour ago, nimiq said:

Amazing thanks for the pics .....Did they gave you any little gift for being on this inaugural voyage ?

Eventually Ann will have the real answer but based on my experience there will likely be one or probably more little gifts over the course of the voyage.  I have never been on an inaugural cruise but during Koningsdam's inaugural season I was given a commemorative plate on the last night.  I imagine there will be more than that on the maiden voyage.

Roy