The Last Straw

OCruisers

We should all be worried about the environment and the damage that we are doing to the world and global warming. Cruise ships are moving towards LNG and many having or have had scrubbers fitted to prevent emitting sulphur gases and even as little as a single use plastic straw every little helps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We should all be worried about the environment and the damage that we are doing to the world and global warming. Cruise ships are moving towards LNG and many having or have had scrubbers fitted to prevent emitting sulphur gases and even as little as a single use plastic straw every little helps.

I'll believe Princess is truly concerned with the environment when I receive no more printed ads for the spa and the art auction.

On the Royal class, that would save at least 3500 pieces of paper a day on each ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They do not incinerate plastic.

It's recycled along with glass/paper etc.

On the Coral a few weeks ago, we saw them unloading pallets of recyclables onto a truck. May have been over 8 pallets, never saw them finish. Pallets had the cubic Meter boxes filled, most that I could see with plastics.

4 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

On the Coral a few weeks ago, we saw them unloading pallets of recyclables onto a truck. May have been over 8 pallets, never saw them finish. Pallets had the cubic Meter boxes filled, most that I could see with plastics.

Yeah I should have put that in my post.  👍

It's offloaded.

For patients with Essential Tremor and other neuro conditions, the use of a straw is extremely helpful and less embarrasing than the alternative. I will bring straws for my hubby so he can effectively deal with his tremors in public.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Clampram said:

For patients with Essential Tremor and other neuro conditions, the use of a straw is extremely helpful and less embarrasing than the alternative. I will bring straws for my hubby so he can effectively deal with his tremors in public.

Why not just request them each time......or ask for a handful from one of the bartenders & bring them as needed.

1 minute ago, floridalover5623 said:

Why not just request them each time......or ask for a handful from one of the bartenders & bring them as needed.

yes, we certainly could do that but it is more comfortable for him to not draw attention to his issue. Easy enough to pack a few and then find them on the ship!

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 3:01 AM, brian1 said:

I never use plastic straws,I suggest those that do,research a bit about the eco damage they contribute to.

My two cents worth on this topic - I agree about all the wasted paper used for spa treatment info and art auctions!  And even restaurants now do not offer a straw.  But how about all the billions of plastic water bottles tossed each year.  My guess is only a small fraction get recycled worldwide.  And those do wind up in the plastic floating waste in the oceans.  At least paper straws, which I grew up with, decompose.   Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenbunny said:

My two cents worth on this topic - I agree about all the wasted paper used for spa treatment info and art auctions!  And even restaurants now do not offer a straw.  But how about all the billions of plastic water bottles tossed each year.  My guess is only a small fraction get recycled worldwide.  And those do wind up in the plastic floating waste in the oceans.  At least paper straws, which I grew up with, decompose.   Thanks for letting me vent.

We were on a harbour cruise in Cochin last year and a fellow brit left her bottle on the quayside wall.even though there were loads more floating all around us.I picked it up and said "don't worry love,I'll bin it for you".She wasn't very happy.As I said,every little helps.It doesn't help when a "world leader" denies global warming.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, OCruisers said:

Seems some cruise lines no longer have PLASTIC straws ....

Does Princess still have plastic straws?

If not, I'll want to take some with me.  

Just returned (1/26/19) from Caribbean Princess.

Never a problem getting plastic straws!  :classic_cool:

On 12/1/2018 at 8:55 AM, caribill said:

Probably more of a cost saving measure than an environmental reaction.

I can’t see there being a significant expense in straws. A million straws would cost a few bucks so I would venture to say it’s to satisfy the environmentalist/lobbyist/protester. The environmental impact is minimal assuming there is an effective recycling program. 

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart

4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I much prefer to drink my beer straight from the bottle. 

This is just a side note that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

I went to beer school at the Budweiser brewery in Jacksonville, Florida. Ever since then it’s been strictly beer from a glass for me. There’s a big difference on how it’s poured. 

Just throwing that out to stay on the lighter side of things. 

Glenn

3 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

This is just a side note that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

I went to beer school at the Budweiser brewery in Jacksonville, Florida. Ever since then it’s been strictly beer from a glass for me. There’s a big difference on how it’s poured. 

Just throwing that out to stay on the lighter side of things. 

Glenn

beer from a bottle is all we drink on the islands.

financial and environmental considerations aside - we really like these https://amzn.to/2ToquLZ for the main reason that plastic straws tend to float up in carbonated beverages and then occasionally get swept away by the wind.

of course, as a species, many of us (those with medical needs aside) have survived for thousands of years without the need for straws and will somehow manage even if they take all the straws away.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

of course, as a species, many of us (those with medical needs aside) have survived for thousands of years without the need for straws and will somehow manage even if they take all the straws away.

Good points all. The emotional side of me wants to buy into this notion but the intellectual side of me can’t help but wonder if this isn’t just another cause du jour. 

Edited by Ep010835

On 12/3/2018 at 1:14 AM, brian1 said:

It doesn't help when a "world leader" denies global warming.

Global warming comes and goes. Millenia after millenia ad infinitum. I don't disagree with that certain "world leader". 

• Like 1

We just got off the Crown Princess and can confirm that I received a straw every time I ordered a coke.  Alcohol drinks had a stirrer stick but they would give you a straw if you asked.

Edited by oldracer