Legend Transatlantic

Schoifmom

11 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

OMG!  I just discovered that we can get off at Dover on the 19th and get on Queen Mary 2 in Southampton on the 21st! 8 day crossing to NYC.   Always trying to find a way not to fly home... for once QM2 IS GOING THE RIGHT DIRECTION!  Packing for this will be interesting.  EM

Did a TA B2B in the spring - NCL Star eastbound 14 nights, 3 nights in an Airbnb in Barcelona, then 14 nights westbound on Horizon.  It was my first TA, first time on NCL, first time in Barcelona.  It was AWESOME!  At least I had free laundry on the return trip!  One large suitecase and a carryon (and I dress for dinner every night). 

I'm guessing the dress code on QM2 might be slightly more upscale than Carnival (or NCL).  Good luck! 😉

• Like 1

We've sailed Cunard three times before.  First was on QE2 when every day that you left port by 6pm was formal.  I believe we had 8 formal nights on a 12 day cruise.  One little black dress goes a long way...  We have free laundry on Carnival, and Cunard has free self service laundry and they furnish the detergent, too.  EM

20 hours ago, maryann2 said:

I haven't booked yet.

Probably won't do this one though as am booked on MSC Meraviglia Sept 2019 Copenhagen to New York via Iceland. Similar ports. Doesn't go to Greenland though.

I do miss Carnival.

I do like the 9 day following this one to Norway.

I thought for sure we'd see you on this. We did book the 9 day to Norway too. Not sure if we can really do it too, but it's best to book just in case.

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We've sailed Cunard three times before.  First was on QE2 when every day that you left port by 6pm was formal.  I believe we had 8 formal nights on a 12 day cruise.  One little black dress goes a long way...  We have free laundry on Carnival, and Cunard has free self service laundry and they furnish the detergent, too.  EM

I'm on Cunard in a couple of weeks. Queen Elizabeth from Southampton. Supposed to be 3 Gala Balls and I'm sure being over Christmas will be dressy. My first time on Cunard.

Just now, cruises42 said:

I thought for sure we'd see you on this. We did book the 9 day to Norway too. Not sure if we can really do it too, but it's best to book just in case.

Yes  will probably book it. My sister might come with me as it is out of Dover and no flying for her.

36 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I'm on Cunard in a couple of weeks. Queen Elizabeth from Southampton. Supposed to be 3 Gala Balls and I'm sure being over Christmas will be dressy. My first time on Cunard.

Yes  will probably book it. My sister might come with me as it is out of Dover and no flying for her.

I really hope we can do it. I loved Stavanger when we did the British Isles cruise! Did you do the Horizon TA?

On 12/4/2018 at 7:50 PM, cruises42 said:

I was going to send you an e-mail to see what TA you were doing. We had the Radiance booked, then cancelled it and booked the Legend.

Cruise42, we just canceled our June 11 on the Radiance and booked the October TA on the Legend that ends in Tampa.  Added 3 additional nights for just a tad bit more.  Im OK with that.  

On 12/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, NCTribeFan said:

Did a TA B2B in the spring - NCL Star eastbound 14 nights, 3 nights in an Airbnb in Barcelona, then 14 nights westbound on Horizon.  It was my first TA, first time on NCL, first time in Barcelona.  It was AWESOME!  At least I had free laundry on the return trip!  One large suitecase and a carryon (and I dress for dinner every night). 

I'm guessing the dress code on QM2 might be slightly more upscale than Carnival (or NCL).  Good luck! 😉

We wer with you on both of those TA legs. Wish we could do this one but the timing on both TA's are no good for us. Guess we will just have to stick with the 4 cruises we have booked. BTW, got off a quickie on the Valor today. Had fun!

On 12/4/2018 at 11:30 PM, Essiesmom said:

OMG!  I just discovered that we can get off at Dover on the 19th and get on Queen Mary 2 in Southampton on the 21st! 8 day crossing to NYC.   Always trying to find a way not to fly home... for once QM2 IS GOING THE RIGHT DIRECTION!  Packing for this will be interesting.  EM

Booked the Legend the second day it was for sale and just booked the QMII for the return trip.  I told hubby if I had to fly across the ocean it would be in business class...8 day cruise is cheaper,  lasts longer and I won't be a nervous wreck!!  Celebrating our 50th anniversary and we leave NY on my birthday...going to be interesting!!!

• Haha 1

Look for TA's with group space. Their Balcony's are cheaper than Carnivals inside cabins. Plus some have $200.00obc. TA's Balcony's are over a $1000.00 cheaper than Carnival right now, if you can find one that still has any group space left for the 6-3-20 sailings. I know of a few people still have some left for that price.

On 12/9/2018 at 2:15 AM, GROUCHPUSS said:

Look for TA's with group space. Their Balcony's are cheaper than Carnivals inside cabins. Plus some have $200.00obc. TA's Balcony's are over a $1000.00 cheaper than Carnival right now, if you can find one that still has any group space left for the 6-3-20 sailings. I know of a few people still have some left for that price.

https://www.carnival.com/content/lowest-price-guarantee.aspx

We booked this TA too! Couldn't get a 4K with a decent peek through the lifeboats, so just got a balcony.

I am so excited, I don't know how I can wait 18 months!  I'm retiring February 2020 so we were looking for a "big" trip -- and have wanted to see Iceland and Greenland for a while.

My one concern is being cold for 2 weeks!  (Were Floridians so we are wimps!)  I sure hope the Legend has adequate heat!  We got a surprise last year on the Paradise when the temperature plunged on our last (sea) day -- we slept with clothes and shoes on because it was <50 on the ship!  Went to GS and they said there was no heat the ship, period. :classic_ohmy:

I assume we are talking 2020?  This cruise has literally just dropped through the letterbox today!  The travel agency is pairing it with a westbound crossing on the Queen Mary 2 and 3 nights in New York.

We know what to expect on the QM2 but Carnival is a complete blank.  How different is it?  I'm off to the Carnival website to have a look at amenities, etc., but it's always useful to hear from people who have sailed on the ship.

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

I assume we are talking 2020?  This cruise has literally just dropped through the letterbox today!  The travel agency is pairing it with a westbound crossing on the Queen Mary 2 and 3 nights in New York.

We know what to expect on the QM2 but Carnival is a complete blank.  How different is it?  I'm off to the Carnival website to have a look at amenities, etc., but it's always useful to hear from people who have sailed on the ship.

Yes 2020. I assume you have been to NYC before but where the docks are would make for a pleasant and convenient stay. 

18 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Yes 2020. I assume you have been to NYC before but where the docks are would make for a pleasant and convenient stay. 

Very fortunate to have visited New York on numerous occasions, but never get tired of the place!  As most people know the QM2 docks in Brooklyn (not the most exciting) but we have sailed in and out of Manhattan which we enjoyed.  The ability to walk off the ship and be in Times Square within a few minutes is definitely a bonus.

But we are a long way off being in a position to make any decisions re holidays and I fear that by then the ship(s) will be full.

28 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Very fortunate to have visited New York on numerous occasions, but never get tired of the place!  As most people know the QM2 docks in Brooklyn (not the most exciting) but we have sailed in and out of Manhattan which we enjoyed.  The ability to walk off the ship and be in Times Square within a few minutes is definitely a bonus.

But we are a long way off being in a position to make any decisions re holidays and I fear that by then the ship(s) will be full.

It seems the CCL sail at least is filling quickly, yes

8 hours ago, babs135 said:

I'm opposite you - lots of experience on Carnival but we have our first Cunard sailing booked on QM2 for a TA next summer with an overnight in Iceland. We've sailed Legend twice, last in 2013 on a Baltic cruise out of Dover. Legend is a smaller Carnival ship, and I find her class of ship to be more subdued than the larger ships. I've always loved all our Carnival cruises.  You will find a much (MUCH) more relaxed dress code on Carnival - on "elegant" nights you will see everything from tuxedos (few, although my husband does) and gowns/cocktail dresses to polo shirts/chinos.. There are Carnival activities like the "hairy chest" contest that you would never see on Cunard. Usually Carnival doesn't have lectures, but I think this cruise may be an exception - perhaps a photography lecture (we've had two of those) or a nature lecture (had one in Alaska). One thing I have always loved about Carnival cruises is that if you want quiet areas you can find them.

Some folks on the Cunard board make the experience seem absolutely stuffy, while others seem much more down to earth.  I'm excited about one of the lecturers on our cruise and trying the planetarium. I'd love to hear your experience. 

11 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Some folks on the Cunard board make the experience seem absolutely stuffy, while others seem much more down to earth.  I'm excited about one of the lecturers on our cruise and trying the planetarium. I'd love to hear your experience. 

If people make Cunard sound stuffy then they are probably describing themselves!!  Maybe they don't approve of the bingo sessions, or the trivia quizzes; perhaps they don't like the dance classes or the painting classes.  Possibly they can't find anything to read in what is the largest library afloat (with very comfy chairs) or maybe they disapprove of people playing bridge (lessons available), or scrabble or rumikub,etc (provided) or helping with a jigsaw someone has started and people stop and fill in a little bit themselves. 

You get my drift.  There is much more in the way of activities I could mention;  some people complain about being tired by running from one class to another and trying to fit in a lecture or a film and the million and one things that are happening - so much so they need a holiday!!!

Food is a personal thing so all I will say is that we have never gone hungry!  Don't know if you are travelling in the Grills (Princess or Queens), but if you are you can order just about anything you want 'off menu'. You just need to give them 24 hours notice if it's something slightly different and if they have the ingredients you will get it.

Of course the biggest conversation stopper is the dress code.  I'm not going to get into a huge debate about this but both DH and myself like to dress up and there is something special on the Gala Nights when you see the men in their dinner suits (tuxedos) and the ladies in their finery.  During the day, wear what you want.

Hope this helps.  Any more questions ask away or simply go to the Cunard forum and hopefully the 'non-stuffy' travellers will offer advice.