Cabin Decorations

missscarlet

Does Princess have any rules for what is allowed to decorate the inside of your cabin with? Since we are sailing over Christmas I was thinking of bringing some magnetic hooks to hang up decorations inside the cabin, but I saw some other cruise lines only allow flame retardant decorations and do not want to break any rules.  Thank you.

23 minutes ago, missscarlet said:

Does Princess have any rules for what is allowed to decorate the inside of your cabin with? Since we are sailing over Christmas I was thinking of bringing some magnetic hooks to hang up decorations inside the cabin, but I saw some other cruise lines only allow flame retardant decorations and do not want to break any rules.  Thank you.

I don't see any restrictions, but it makes sense to use non-flammable items, and magnetic hooks. I have never seen any problem with paperboard/paper decorations attached to the walls or door by magnets. Look here for prohibited items:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

31 minutes ago, missscarlet said:

No tape.It can damage wall/ceiling surfaces.

Can't hurt to have flame retardant decorations.

56 minutes ago, missscarlet said:

Removable painters tape works great as do magnets. 

Magnets w/hooks work the best.  

Lights if used must be battery operated, they do not allow plug-in Christmas lights.  There are fabulous LED battery operated lights you can bring.  We even packed a 24" tree w/stand for the round table. 

Here's a photo of our room a couple years ago.  WBM_4185.jpg

Have fun,

framer

Edited by framer
  • Like 4

I have used a combination of magnetic clips, magnetic hooks and earthquake putty to put up my Christmas decorations in my cabin and on the outside of my cabin door.  My lights were not nearly as nice as Framer's, but mine too were battery-operated.

We always decorate as well.  This will be our 10th Christmas at sea. We have a small tree and string lights around the mirror with suction cup hooks.   We have used lights that plug in and have never had an issue. Of course we unplug them when we are not there, but we have never been told that we could not use them. 

Our steward was ask from the bridge to check on our lights.  We had some on the balcony.  We showed him they were battery operated and he said he would tell the bridge and they should be OK.   He later came back and said the bridge approved battery operated lights. 

I had brought a couple of outdoor rated battery operated strings for use on the balcony.  We were the only one's that I saw with outside lights😁

You might get away with a plug in string if you unplug them when out of the room and not use them outside; however, you might be told by your room steward to take them down.  

framer

• Like 1

i have some magnetic hooks and some felt garlands i picked up a few years ago.  looks cute and slightly festive.  

i also have fairy lights, but usually i wrap those around the antlers i wear and not decorate the room with me 😄

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Framer, I never considered decorating the balcony.  You have now inspired me for my next Christmas cruise!!!

Tip: take a small bottle of glass cleaner, think eyeglass cleaner size.  Clean the spots on the glass that you will tape the lights to,  the glass will have a film of salt and moisture from the sea that will effect the tape sticking good.

Use heavy duty clear packing tape.  Make sure to make a removal tab on the tape before you tape the wire on. 

Have fun.

framer

I think rubbing alcohol will clean the glass, and I already pack that.  Or I can use gin from the bar set-up!

Just bought suction cup hooks today at Office Depot, for the balcony doors (interior), to hang a (very light) wreath with.  But I might put it on the cabin door instead.

Have plenty of magnet clips.  Have  battery operated lights.  Have candy canes and small red stockings.  

Ready to go!

Not related to Christmas, but we will be on for NYE.  Do you think we'd be ok with having a banner made with grommet holes in each corner, then suction to the glass on our balcony?  I've seen people put up flags and such when we are in port, and I wanted to do something slightly corny for boyfriends birthday as well as New Years.  I'm thinking if Framer got away with the flights on their balcony, we should be ok as long as we take it down when we are sailing.