Central Park.... bees?

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Tell that to those bees that have stung me.

Bummer...how dare those bees bite a Royal DS!!  Shame on those little buzzers.  They need to be re-educated...buzz off bees or walk the plant...err...fly off the plank?  🦗

Edited by island lady

3 hours ago, lakelorain said:

Haven't seen any in Central Park.  However, have seen swarms of bees on poles of mini golf courses on several smaller ships.  Crew said it happens often.  Also know people who had swarms on their balcony.  These were honeybees.  Crew takes care of them immediately. 

I have bee allergies and was not concerned as the bees had no interest in people.

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Tell that to those bees that have stung me.

Honey bees that are in swarm mode are almost incapable of stinging.  

When a hive has too many bees or if it has to relocate the entire colony, all the bees stuff themselves with all the honey and fly in a swarm to their new home.  When carrying all that honey, they are not able to use their stinger very well, and are unlikely to sting unless separated from the rest of the swarm and entangled in some way.  

FYI, if you have a swarm of bees on your property, don't try to destroy it or pay someone to remove it -- contact a local beekeeper, who will either come collect the bees or who will know someone who will collect the bees for free (they will literally scoop them up by hand and put them in a box - these bees are not dangerous).  Bees are becoming endangered due to all the pesticide use, and swarms should be moved to a safe place to develop their new colony and continue their important work of pollinating crops.    

• Like 3

On 12/7/2018 at 1:12 PM, Bee Guy said:

Bear bites are easy to avoid.   Just carry a walking stick with a little bell attached.

As an aside, do you know how to tell black bear scat from grizzly bear scat?

Answer:

Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it.

I've heard just about every bear joke since my incident. It wasn't very funny at the time but at least I am still here to joke about it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two guys are walking thru the woods when a bear starts to chase them. First guy starts to run.

Second guy shouts out: "You can't possibly outrun a bear".

First guy replies: "I know. I just have to outrun you".  

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh:   i crack me up :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Two guys are walking thru the woods when a bear starts to chase them. First guy starts to run.

Second guy shouts out: "You can't possibly outrun a bear".

First guy replies: "I know. I just have to outrun you".  

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh:   i crack me up :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

I now carry a 22 with me when I go fishing with my nephew. Someone asked me "Is that big enough to stop a bear?" I responded " no,probably not, but all I have to do is shoot my nephew in the leg!" Now that's funny!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

I now carry a 22 with me when I go fishing with my nephew. Someone asked me "Is that big enough to stop a bear?" I responded " no,probably not, but all I have to do is shoot my nephew in the leg!" Now that's funny!!!!

Oh c'mon now you have to tell us how you were actually bitten by a bear in Alaska! :classic_biggrin::classic_smile:

14 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I’ve been looking coy, and so far have never seen a bee nor mosquito... except in Alaska-> there were a few mosquitos there 🙂

Lol- stupid autocorrect!  I don’t remember what I tried saying yesterday, but it wasn’t “looking coy” 🙂. Maybe just “I’ve been looking?”

19 hours ago, brillohead said:

When a hive has too many bees or if it has to relocate the entire colony, all the bees stuff themselves with all the honey and fly in a swarm to their new home.  When carrying all that honey, they are not able to use their stinger very well, and are unlikely to sting unless separated from the rest of the swarm and entangled in some way.  

FYI, if you have a swarm of bees on your property, don't try to destroy it or pay someone to remove it -- contact a local beekeeper, who will either come collect the bees or who will know someone who will collect the bees for free (they will literally scoop them up by hand and put them in a box - these bees are not dangerous).  Bees are becoming endangered due to all the pesticide use, and swarms should be moved to a safe place to develop their new colony and continue their important work of pollinating crops.    

19 hours ago, brillohead said:

I've never encountered a swarm of bees. Just the rouge ones going from flower to flower or blossom to blossom when I'm out doing yard work. If the bee keeps buzzing around me I'll try to kill the bee before the bee stings me. Causalitys of war. 

Edited by davekathy

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I've never encountered a swarm of bees. Just the rouge ones going from flower to flower or blossom to blossom when I'm out doing yard work. If the bee keeps buzzing around me I'll try to kill the bee before the bee stings me. Causalitys of war. 

If the bee buzzing around you is a honey bee, you are in little to no danger of being stung.  All bees in a honey bee colony have a job & it is the guard bees that stay in the hive that are most apt to sting.  The bees that you see on blossoms are foragers or scouts.  They could not care less about you unless they are interfered with.

Edited by Bee Guy

32 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

If the bee buzzing around you is a honey bee, you are in little to no danger of being stung.  All bees in a honey bee colony have a job & it is the guard bees that stay in the hive that are most apt to sting.  The bees that you see on blossoms are foragers or scouts.  They could not care less about you unless they are interfered with.

I've never felt in danger.:classic_rolleyes: Just stung. Those aren't the names I call them.  Anyway back to the topic...

20 hours ago, island lady said:

Bummer...how dare those bees bite a Royal DS!!  Shame on those little buzzers.  They need to be re-educated...buzz off bees or walk the plant...err...fly off the plank?  🦗

I know. :classic_cool: Maybe I'm too sweet and irresistible.:classic_wink: 

Edited by davekathy