Need to Average more than 2 Alcoholic Drinks/Day for Deluxe PAckage???

LB_NJ

Am I missing something.  The price spread between the Refreshment package and the Deluxe package looks to be around $25 per day.

Unless I am doing the math wrong, that means you would have to average more than 2 alcoholic drinks per day over the whole cruise to have the Deluxe package make economic sense. (Ignoring any type of convenience factor).

18 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Am I missing something.  The price spread between the Refreshment package and the Deluxe package looks to be around $25 per day.

Unless I am doing the math wrong, that means you would have to average more than 2 alcoholic drinks per day over the whole cruise to have the Deluxe package make economic sense. (Ignoring any type of convenience factor).

More like 3 drinks, as shots run around $9,

17 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I like the way you look at it.  Most people - including myself - determine that they need to have 6-8 adult drinks a day to beak even, usually forgetting that bottled water, specialty coffee, smoothies, etc is included in the package as well.

But by stating it he way you did that you only need two adult bevy's in addition to all the other beverages, it makes it feel even more of a deal than ever before.  👍

Bonus: When some of the more judgementl people wonder why someone wants the deluxe package, wondering if they have a drinking problem, I can just refer to this post!

Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

At first my husband paid individually for his beer but when the daughter & I showed him with the calculator how many he would need to drink to pay for the package he realized he was  better off getting the package.  My husband loved his beer. :classic_smile:  He would have paid more by paying for it individually. 

• Like 1

At $12 per cocktail (and similar for a glass of wine), for me, the deluxe package is an absolute no-brainer.  A drink or two at the pool, a glass of wine with lunch, a martini before dinner, another or a glass of wine (or two) with dinner, an espresso or cappuccino after dinner, a drink at the show ... it's VERY easy to justify the package if one enjoys adult beverages to any extent!

I just rebooked for a $47pp/day price, which is four drinks. On vacation, that's very easy to do. (Plus, we've got four sea days and Labadee, so PLENTY of time to make it worthwhile.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

At first my husband paid individually for his beer but when the daughter & I showed him with the calculator how many he would need to drink to pay for the package he realized he was  better off getting the package.  My husband loved his beer. :classic_smile:  He would have paid more by paying for it individually. 

I'm basically a beer drinker as well. Funny thing is, beer on ship is cheaper than at my local bar. Throw in a glass of wine at dinner, an over-priced fru-fru drink and maybe an experimental cocktail, and I'm way ahead of the game.

2 drinks.....that covers the first half of dinner. 😬

As others have noted though, when you consider all fluids (bottled water, specialty coffees, fresh OJ, smoothies, etc) the Deluxe package begins to make more sense.   The OP also noted the convenience factor...not having to worry about counting pennies or tracking Sea Pass expenses...which to me at least, adds value as well.  I try to think as little as possible when cruising.  

If the price goes above $52/pp/pd then I have to think about whether or not it makes sense. 

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 2

During the Thanksgiving weekend sale the refreshment package was on sale for $17. It was a $32 difference between that and the deluxe package. I can easily get my monies worth just with coffee and bottled water. I really only will have a cocktail at night to be social. My wife enjoys a Bloody Mary or mimosa in the morning, wine with dinner and cocktails in the evening. I purchased one deluxe package for her and the refreshment package for myself. Had they lowered the deluxe so there wasn’t such a big difference I would have purchased 2 deluxe packages. I could break even if I forced myself with shots for my coffee and after dinner cordials but I don’t always want these things especially towards the end of the cruise. In the beginning it’s easy to go overboard, no pun intended. As the trip progresses I find myself eating and drinking less. The water is a must for me just to flush out the high sodium foods.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

Well, yes you only need to 2 cocktails to break even on the price difference of the Deluxe Package IF you're already planning to use the Refreshment Package to its fullest.  Some people don't want bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, or specialty coffee so the Refreshment Package (or those parts of the Deluxe Package) are useless to them.  That's why some people figure 4-5 cocktails/glasses of wine or 6-7 beers is necessary to break even on the Deluxe.  You have to do the math based on what you will drink not what others will drink.

Based on reading these forums, I think the number of people that think 5+ alcoholic drinks a day is shocking is actually smaller than the number of people who are shocked that some people don't want bottled water!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

What has the price spread between the two packages have anything to do with it? Depending on the costs of the drinks, you would have to have anywhere from 4 (martinis) to 8 (beers) to break even, and that's every day. The deluxe package includes the drinks in the refreshment package so if you have some of those also, that will change the equation.

One or the other, you don't need both packages.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Well, yes you only need to 2 cocktails to break even on the price difference of the Deluxe Package IF you're already planning to use the Refreshment Package to its fullest.  Some people don't want bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, or specialty coffee so the Refreshment Package (or those parts of the Deluxe Package) are useless to them.  That's why some people figure 4-5 cocktails/glasses of wine or 6-7 beers is necessary to break even on the Deluxe.  You have to do the math based on what you will drink not what others will drink.

Based on reading these forums, I think the number of people that think 5+ alcoholic drinks a day is shocking is actually smaller than the number of people who are shocked that some people don't want bottled water!

Yes this is what I was thinking as well but couldn't quite put the words to it.  I would never buy the refreshment package so my calculation is between deluxe or nothing.  Since I don't drink that much I just pay by the drink and it has worked out in my favor so far.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Only 2 alcoholic drinks a day??? What am I supposed to drink the rest of the day after I have my Bloody Mary's for breakfast?

We were had a suite on oasis a couple of weeks ago and would have several glasses of wine lunch and dinner in costal kitchen, we had drink package do not care for what is given for free , so waiters started asking us if we wanted champagne with breakfast which we did. Wine we like was 2 dollars over the limit so we had a bunch of charges for a few dollars on bill. 

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

The package is not a good deal for everyone. I drink maybe two drinks on a sea day and almost never more than one on a port day. $46 a day is never a good deal for me. 

You are correct, but for others like my gang, it pays for itself.    We all usually meet for a specialty coffee in the morning, have a drink or two during the day, get several bottle of water each day for the cabin and excursions, a drink or two for dinner, a cappuccino with dessert, maybe a Baileys at the event show.    This is nothing like our every day at home but on the cruise we all like to have a few each day.   

But again, you’re right.   Everyone has to do the math based on their situation.    Works for some. Not for others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

What has the price spread between the two packages have anything to do with it? Depending on the costs of the drinks, you would have to have anywhere from 4 (martinis) to 8 (beers) to break even, and that's every day. The deluxe package includes the drinks in the refreshment package so if you have some of those also, that will change the equation.

One or the other, you don't need both packages.

The refreshment package makes sense for use so we purchased that package.  For us then the decision is whether we should upgrade from the refreshment package to the deluxe package for the alcohol drinks.  On the cruise we have booked the cost to upgrade from refreshment to deluxe is about $25.  That means we would need to average over 2 alcoholic drinks a day (plus of course the coffees, juices, sodas, and bottled water we would have with the refreshment package) for the deluxe package to make sense as an upgrade. 

We'll probably do pay as you go for alcoholic drinks this trip.  The math for us probably makes more sense.  

15 minutes ago, Island2Girl said:

I have a quick question, do you buy when the package is on sale online or wait to board? I see there is a substantial service charge online which changes the number of drinks to break even as it's another $10.00 per day give or take. Thoughts?

Are you referring to the gratuity? The price posted in the cruise planner doesn't include the gratuity. You only see the gratuity charge when you add the package to your cart. The gratuity is 18% each day for the daily price. The price on board is more than if you prebook it and you will still be charged the gratuity if you purchase the package on board. It is better to buy it online when it's on sale.

Edited by Iamcruzin

14 minutes ago, Island2Girl said:

I have a quick question, do you buy when the package is on sale online or wait to board? I see there is a substantial service charge online which changes the number of drinks to break even as it's another $10.00 per day give or take. Thoughts?

The service charge is the 18% gratuity which is added whether you buy the package onboard or through your cruise planner.  Prices are typically better prior to sailing, unless you are D+ or up and use your onboard percentage discount.

Is there a onboard percentage discount for Diamonds? If so does anyone know what percentage it is? What is the discount for D+...looking to the future 🙂 ( searched the forum and could not find anything so sorry for what I know is a repeat question)