Ginger pills for seasickness??

eng4

My husband and I take ginger pills on every cruise. I'm allergic to Meclizine and everything else makes me drowsy. We each take one every day at dinner, but I think you can take up to four. Check out the dosage instructions for Dramamine naturals. It is exactly the same as ginger root but way more expensive. Sometimes I take an additional ginger pill in the morning if we are going to be going on a bus or boat excursion.

Edited by Doggielover68

On 12/14/2018 at 11:39 AM, JB3 said:

I've found that ginger candy works even better than ginger pills. 

Same here - it settles your stomach almost immediately, it’s less expensive than pills, and candied/crystallized ginger can be found in any grocery store - usually in the baking aisle —- plus, it tastes pretty good.

32 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Same here - it settles your stomach almost immediately, it’s less expensive than pills, and candied/crystallized ginger can be found in any grocery store - usually in the baking aisle —- plus, it tastes pretty good.

What kind of candy?

I have used the Solaray brand's Ginger Trips chewables. I have to be quite ill to take them as for me, ginger in any form is what evil tastes like. :classic_angry:  However, I was very seasick when crossing the Drake Passage so I chewed those vile tablets and they really helped along with lying on my stomach with an eye mask in our dark cabin.

I'll be looking for capsules when I shop for my next cruise. 

Talking to your doctor about using ginger is very good advice and should be heeded.

Edited by Bookish Angel

The classic is slightly flat ginger ale, which has the ginger as well as a sugary liquid. Good to calm the stomach. My guess is that some kind of ginger candy would work better than a capsule of pure ginger. On ginger as a whole, there's been some studies and they've been inconclusive. Studies on snake oil and magic bracelets, on the other hand, have conclusively proven they have no effect.

4 hours ago, eng4 said:

What kind of candy?

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have ginger mints (very portable), ginger chews, plus crystallized ginger (in their dried fruit section). They also have ginger teabags. I usually take an assortment of their ginger products, when I cruise -- just in case someone I'm with has need of them.

Consider this.  It has worked well for us and (even though it is marketed by the manufacturers of Dramamine) is natural:

dramamine-non-drowsy-naturals-jpg-500x500_q85.jpg

Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals

Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals, Dramamine®’s first truly non-drowsy offering.

Contains the clinically tested ginger dosage required for preventing and treating motion sickness. Other sources of ginger, including candies, gums, or ginger ale, may not contain a full clinical dose.
 Prevents and treats the symptoms of motion sickness (nausea and vomiting) without drowsiness.  
 Non-Drowsy Naturals is safe to use every day you travel since it’s made from natural ginger.

Available in an 18-count bottle. 

15 hours ago, numtini said:

The classic is slightly flat ginger ale, which has the ginger as well as a sugary liquid. Good to calm the stomach. My guess is that some kind of ginger candy would work better than a capsule of pure ginger. On ginger as a whole, there's been some studies and they've been inconclusive. Studies on snake oil and magic bracelets, on the other hand, have conclusively proven they have no effect.

I didn't think all ginger ales actually contain ginger, but you should be able to get ginger ale or ginger beer (also a soft drink and not an alcoholic beer) at any ship bar.  The classic I've heard of is green apples, sometimes oatmeal.

If by magic bracelets you mean SeaBands, I thought they had been proven to be at least 50% effective (better than placebo effect).  SeaBands absolutely work for me, especially for mal debarquement, and it has minimal if any side effects/contra-indications compared to other medicines and some natural remedies (blood thinning effect mentioned up-thread). The snake oil should at least have a placebo effect 😉 

Ginger is the one that's 50/50. And on ginger ale, I can attest that it settles the stomach even when I know it's cheap ginger ale that probably has zero actual ginger in it. I suspect it's more drinking something cool and soothing. The sea bands are complete hokum, proven in several studies to have no effect.

46 minutes ago, numtini said:

Ginger is the one that's 50/50. And on ginger ale, I can attest that it settles the stomach even when I know it's cheap ginger ale that probably has zero actual ginger in it. I suspect it's more drinking something cool and soothing. The sea bands are complete hokum, proven in several studies to have no effect.

And others site studies that accu-pressure can have an effect.  It does matter if you put the bands on the correct pressure point (or don't use the band and just apply pressure to the spot for temporary relief, but hard to do that and use your hands for anything else 😉 )

I'm glad that you have found something that settles your stomach.  I'll stick to my SeaBands since they work for me and sweet drinks usually don't.

I do carry some soft peppermints too, but haven't heard of studies one way or the other on health benefits or contraindications - they just help me if I ate a little too much.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:28 PM, wwcruisers said:

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have ginger mints (very portable), ginger chews, plus crystallized ginger (in their dried fruit section). They also have ginger teabags. I usually take an assortment of their ginger products, when I cruise -- just in case someone I'm with has need of them.

Good to know!  We just got our first Trader Joe’s a few months ago, and I wouldn’t have thought to look at their offerings.

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, pacruise804 said:

And others site studies that accu-pressure can have an effect.  It does matter if you put the bands on the correct pressure point (or don't use the band and just apply pressure to the spot for temporary relief, but hard to do that and use your hands for anything else 😉 )

I'm glad that you have found something that settles your stomach.  I'll stick to my SeaBands since they work for me and sweet drinks usually don't.

I do carry some soft peppermints too, but haven't heard of studies one way or the other on health benefits or contraindications - they just help me if I ate a little too much.

Do you use a seaband on each arm? or only one arm?

I do original dramamine with no problems, but it knocks my husband out completely. He tried the patches behind the ear and had some side effects from it, so now for him we use a combination of Motioneaze (https://amzn.to/2WZvitJ) and Candied Ginger (https://amzn.to/2tk4mHy).

The motioneaze is like essential oils, just a few drops behind your ears. I was super skeptical, but he's usually hit pretty bad by motion sickness and it worked wonders for him last cruise. Whenever either of us started to get a little queasy we would just snack on a few pieces of ginger

Interesting thread.  Upcoming first cruise...actually posted a thread earlier today here re: a relief band that I tried last week...an antiemetic-anti nausea bracelet that, when oneturns it on, shoots pulses into your hand for nausea prevention.  Beware.  it suggested trying it out, and I did.  I think because I was not nauseous when trying it did the reverse and made me nauseated.  REally screwed up my head as well...two days later, still feel a bit of effect.  It is being returned.  Pharmacist insisted.  Not sold in Canada.  So when I hear all this other stuff...like the seaband..if you are not nauseated and you wear the sea band which presses on that special spot...are you not doing the reverse like the band?  Help me with this.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, JB3 said:

I've found that ginger candy works even better than ginger pills. 

This is for me too.  I also found out that ginger ale on the ship works really well.  I don't know why I have developed seasickness over my last two cruises.  Pretty mild but enough to be noticed.  I expect it from now on. 

17 hours ago, msuspartanbigten said:

Do you use a seaband on each arm? or only one arm?

I use on each arm, so my husband and I travel with two sets in case we are both afflicted at the same time.  Fortunately we are rarely affected, but it is comforting to have if we need it.

• Thanks 1

I used the Dramamine brand of Ginger pills two weeks ago. Worked 100% and didn’t make me so tired! I didn’t care for the taste of ginger candy but had it with me just incase. I will definitely go the ginger route next time. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Interesting thread.  Upcoming first cruise...actually posted a thread earlier today here re: a relief band that I tried last week...an antiemetic-anti nausea bracelet that, when oneturns it on, shoots pulses into your hand for nausea prevention.  Beware.  it suggested trying it out, and I did.  I think because I was not nauseous when trying it did the reverse and made me nauseated.  REally screwed up my head as well...two days later, still feel a bit of effect.  It is being returned.  Pharmacist insisted.  Not sold in Canada.  So when I hear all this other stuff...like the seaband..if you are not nauseated and you wear the sea band which presses on that special spot...are you not doing the reverse like the band?  Help me with this.

My understanding is the relief band acts differently (electrical pulses) than the sea bands (accupressure).  I've never used a relief band, but it does make sense that using it when you don't need it could have adverse effects.  The sea bands are very easy to take on and off (not familiar with ease of relief band), and supposed to be very quick results so there should be no need to use the sea band unless you need it.  You can briefly put it on to make sure you are activating the correct spot, but I wouldn't trigger the pressure point for long if I wan't symptomatic.  

13 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Okay, ginger candy..so then during the night how do you prevent the seasickness...

I think staying hydrated would help.  Try to have a large glass (or bottle) of water before bed and hopefully you will not be as ill in the morning.  Also Dramamine has a component that can make you drowsy so that might help you sleep through the night.

16 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Okay, ginger candy..so then during the night how do you prevent the seasickness...

If you have that much seasickness, you should speak to your doctor about longer term remedies.  Dramamine or a sea band might be a remedy for those situations. Ginger is only going to help with intermittent nausea, which is what I tend to get.