Disappointed with Options

QuickieGlenn

Trying to figure out my next cruise and are very disappointed with the options available

I can remember when we first started cruising you would get at least 4 ports on a 7 day cruise

Now they give you the same 3 ports on the newer ships (because they can)

Even on the 10+ day cruises you get way to many sea days  and the hours they spend on some of the islands, not even worth getting off

I have even looked at RCL and it is the same

Not sure what to do

Our last 7 nighter on Breakaway had 4 ports and 2 sea days.  We didn't get off the ship in Belize because we prefer more sea days.  I think there is a lot of behinds the scenes stuff that goes on with planning for ports and the logistics associated with the scheduling.  So I'm not sure they're doing it because they can, I think it has  more to do with what's available at the time the itineraries are built.  But I could be way off.  For me, more sea days are a bonus so I've never really taken the time to investigate the inner workings.  Maybe look into a small ship?  Good luck...

42 minutes ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Trying to figure out my next cruise and are very disappointed with the options available

I can remember when we first started cruising you would get at least 4 ports on a 7 day cruise

Even on the 10+ day cruises you get way to many sea days  and the hours they spend on some of the islands, not even worth getting off

Not sure what to do

I haven't noticed this with NCL.  Other than the long haul down from NY to the Caribbean and anything to Bermuda, I can't think of any 7-day cruises I've ever seen with fewer than 4 ports.  Examples please.

39 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think it has  more to do with what's available at the time the itineraries are built.

A bigger issue is all of the newer cruises ship being built. Almost every cruise line has a new ship being put into service every year. Where can you dock all of these ships plus the existing ships that are already in service?

Most ports can only berth 2-4 ships at a time. Ports would love to expand but they are tons of logistics issues and "not in my backyard" folks who protest any expansions.

If all of the ports is already overbooked, where can you go? This is why the cruise line is building their own private island/ports like Harvest Caye and Great Stirrup Cay

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Not sure what to do

There are more than two cruise lines in the world.  If NCL and RCI don't have itineraries that you like right now, try some different cruise lines.  🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wdsted said:

I haven't noticed this with NCL.  Other than the long haul down from NY to the Caribbean and anything to Bermuda, I can't think of any 7-day cruises I've ever seen with fewer than 4 ports.  Examples please.

That's easy, the sailing I am on.  January 25th - February 1st NCL Jade - 7 day western Caribbean.  Only three ports of call, Costa Maya, Harvest Cay, Great Stirrup Cay.  So it does happen, just not often.

Edited by pisenor

4 hours ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Not sure what to do

I hate to say it but your best bet is to look at going out of San Juan. When we do 7 night cruises that is what we do. I feel you, as I remember always having 4-5 ports. I think it's their way to make more money. This time we are doing a 14 nights and we still only get 8 ports. Sometimes it's better to do an all inclusive land vaca. Good luck to you

4 hours ago, wdsted said:

Just look out of Miami in February , pretty much all of the cruises are 3 ports

I just have looked into NCl and RCCl because I feel they are about equal

I should have added that I do not fly, i drive to all the departure ports and require a HC room which you have to book at least 12-15 months in advance and the NCl & RCCl ships have been accommodating. Tender ports do not work, so it limits my options

Thanks fore the replys

5 hours ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Not sure what to do

Your issue sounds more like a port of embarkation and limitations on how close ports of call are. There are a lot of world wide itineraries where you can get a lot of port days. I saw POA above where you are in port 7 days on a 7 day cruise. You could do that with a B2B Sky. New England cruises. Med cruises. Most have a lot of port days. 

34 minutes ago, QuickieGlenn said:

I should have added that I do not fly, i drive to all the departure ports and require a HC room which you have to book at least 12-15 months in advance and the NCl & RCCl ships have been accommodating. Tender ports do not work, so it limits my options

Thanks fore the replys

Sounds like you spend winters in Florida?    (New Jersey location?)      You have some additional limits you have placed.    3 ports ARE common for 7 day Caribbean cruises out of Florida.   There are many other locations   and longer cruises to also select.  With your claim-  I'd suggest you be a LOT more open to other Cruise lines.    There are some excellent 4 port itineraries on Carnival.   And before you dismiss other lines,  due to what YOU'VE assumed,   you might want to consider looking further.   I find far more similarities than differences between the lines.  

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Sounds like you spend winters in Florida?    (New Jersey location?)      You have some additional limits you have placed.    3 ports ARE common for 7 day Caribbean cruises out of Florida.   There are many other locations   and longer cruises to also select.  With your claim-  I'd suggest you be a LOT more open to other Cruise lines.    There are some excellent 4 port itineraries on Carnival.   And before you dismiss other lines,  due to what YOU'VE assumed,   you might want to consider looking further.   I find far more similarities than differences between the lines.  

Thanks, I stick to what I know, and I know what I  have tried and what works, nothing worse than going on a vacation and being confined or peoples definition of handicapped accessible. Yes I have gone out of NYC, but one to many times getting our butts kicked off Cape Hatteras, so we switched to driving to Florida. Done Bermuda, western and the eastern a few times. Just looking for different ports to be added in and not being stuck on the ship for days. Looked into Celebrity, Carnival but the reviews are not that good for a HC person. Just take a look to see what HC rooms are available and their location. Thanks again I am done

11 hours ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Not sure what to do

Look harder. 3 port - seven day cruise out of Miami or FLL are very uncommon. NCL normally offers seven day cruises to the Western Caribbean with 4 port stops.

If you really want port stops almost all of the luxury lines offer one or to different ports each day.

Edited by zqvol

6 hours ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Thanks fore the replys

We are on the Getaway Feb 10 2109 with 4 ports. Routan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, andCozumel, our previous cruise on the MSC Seaside (March 2018) was also 4 ports, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya

22 hours ago, QuickieGlenn said:

Not sure what to do

Yes, they do seem to do the same ports over and over, but as for 4 ports versus 3, when we first started cruising it was visa versa, usually 3 ports instead of 4. We are now getting ready to do a 10 day southern Caribbean cruise with 9 ports and many are complaining that it is too much. I guess the cruise lines can't please everyone.  After reading your comments it sounds like maybe you are somewhat cruised out. Take a break and a deep breath. Maybe you should consider flying out of the country and cruising in Europe or something. 

On 12/23/2018 at 9:24 AM, shof515 said:

A bigger issue is all of the newer cruises ship being built. Almost every cruise line has a new ship being put into service every year. Where can you dock all of these ships plus the existing ships that are already in service?

Most ports can only berth 2-4 ships at a time. Ports would love to expand but they are tons of logistics issues and "not in my backyard" folks who protest any expansions.

If all of the ports is already overbooked, where can you go? This is why the cruise line is building their own private island/ports like Harvest Caye and Great Stirrup Cay

Size is also an issue. Some ports can’t handle the larger ships, making the list of available ports smaller and smaller as ships get bigger and bigger. 

We did a 14 day Round-Trip  cruise out of Boston, which had 7 ports of call in the Eastern Caribbean.  There were 6 sea days included.

On occasion,  NCL runs cruises to Canada and New England out of New York.  Not sure if they have 3 or 4 ports.  I actually prefer sea days to port days, especially in the Caribbean.  I love to relax on board and do activities on the ship.