Unfair to change ports three weeks out.

cello56

16 hours ago, cello56 said:

I just got an email from my travel agent informing us that RCI has changed the itinerary for our 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise next month on Jewel.

Instead of four sea days, and Labadee, Aruba, Bonnaire, Curacao  - an itinerary that we were really looking forward to .....

We now have FIVE sea days and go to Aruba, Curacao and Nassau.

So they changed 50% of our ports, and increased our sea days to more then half our cruise. Plus the added joy of Nassau that we could happily never step foot in again.

Hardly the cruise that we paid for. This was a pricey cruise to begin with, I guess since we were doing a southern route.

Nothing we can do about it. I know the fine print says that they have the right to change the itinerary at any time. It still sucks though.

2 hours ago, blisswife said:

My letter (below), for the Jewel sailing on 01/18/19 includes Bonaire...no change in port days vs sea days:

Dear Guest,

We are counting down the days to your January 18th, 2019 Jewel of the Seas sailing. As you're saying "goodbye" to 2018 and say "hello" to travelling in 2019, we have a quick update to share with you.

We want to give you the best experience while you are exploring the Southern Caribbean. With that said, we've moved up our visit to Oranjestad, Aruba to Monday, January 21st, and moved Willemstad, Curacao to Tuesday, January 22nd. Also, we've switched out our visit to Labadee with a day at Nassau, Bahamas on Saturday, January 26th and added an extra hour making our visit 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM. Our visit to Kralendijk, Bonaire will remain unchanged.

While in Nassau, marvel at the various marine life exhibits as you make your way down into the underworld of Atlantis. Are you excited yet? We are!

For your convenience, the updated itinerary is below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Fri

Miami, Florida

5:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Cruising

Mon

Oranjestad, Aruba

8:00 AM

11:00 PM

Tue

Willemstad, Curacao

6:00 PM

Wed

Kralendijk, Bonaire

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Nassau, Bahamas

Sun

Miami, Florida

7:00 AM

Any pre-paid shore excursions scheduled for Labadee will be refunded to the original form of payment. And, any pre-booked tours for Oranjestad and Willemstad will be rescheduled for you. Within the next 2 business days, you'll receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your updated excursion details. Then, be sure to book any additional excursions for Nassau via our Cruise Planner here.

So it sounds to me like cello's travel agent did not accurately convey the information from RC to her/his client.

P.S. Cello:  Apparently you are on a NINE night cruise, not an eight night cruise.  🙂

1 hour ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

Travel Insurance? Would not some policies pay some pretty large amounts due to port changes?

If you had a private excursion booked for say St Maarten and your port day was changed, would the travel insurance cover that if they were already booked for the other day?

April 14 sailing here so makes me want to buy Insurance soon. But sailing on Harmony so they probably don't change big ships very much I assume.

Most ( if not all) private excursion companies  will  give a full refund if your ship does not make it to port.  

Regarding the port changes,  It is frustrating and happens often.    We've had missed ports, and had  additional sea days and received no compensation.  We did get a few dollars back ( like less than 10) because of  refunded port fees.

OP - please let us know how it works out.

M

1 hour ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

Travel Insurance? Would not some policies pay some pretty large amounts due to port changes?

If you had a private excursion booked for say St Maarten and your port day was changed, would the travel insurance cover that if they were already booked for the other day?

April 14 sailing here so makes me want to buy Insurance soon. But sailing on Harmony so they probably don't change big ships very much I assume.

Nationwide Insurance Company is mentioned on these boards as offering a travel insurance policy that includes compensation when the cruise line changes the ports of call.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Nationwide Insurance Company is mentioned on these boards as offering a travel insurance policy that includes compensation when the cruise line changes the ports of call.

We got a nice settlement from Nationwide a couple of years ago when our Eastern Caribbean Oasis cruise was changed to Western Caribbean.  It had nothing to do with excursions.

Edited by handbellplayer

3 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

We got a nice settlement from Nationwide a couple of years ago when our Eastern Caribbean Oasis cruise was changed to Western Caribbean.  It had nothing to do with excursions.

I have Nationwide cruise insurance as well and their policy reimburses $1250 per person for any port changes.  I'm assuming it would mean if one of my ports were no longer offered?  They have different policies and I think I chose the middle or top tier one. 

Just now, slyster said:

I have Nationwide cruise insurance as well and their policy reimburses $1250 per person for any port changes.  I'm assuming it would mean if one of my ports were no longer offered?  They have different policies and I think I chose the middle or top tier one. 

Not sure what they would reimburse for one missed port.  Our entire itinerary was changed.  We got $1500. ($750/pp) for a 7-day cruise.  I think we had the middle tier policy.

16 hours ago, khm1 said:

Something must be going on. I got an email today stating that our port dates have changed. Same ports, different order and dates. We are a little more than 3 weeks out too. 70ED755E-39BE-4288-BBF3-EDDCCDC41F1A.thumb.png.34d80153069327dde7fb208196ab2e88.png

We are on the January 18th cruise and KHM1 is correct; we get all the ports except Labadee. Nassau is quite a disappointment...been there done that kind of thing. We have never been to Labadee and were really looking forward to it. 

25 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Not sure what they would reimburse for one missed port.  Our entire itinerary was changed.  We got $1500. ($750/pp) for a 7-day cruise.  I think we had the middle tier policy.

I'm not sure.  Their website under cruise plans says:

Itinerary Changes

• Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

So depending on the plan level, you get reimbursed either $500, $750, or $1250 (this is the one I have).  I did just call and they said if ANY ONE of our ports was removed, we would be eligible for the reimbursement.  I asked about time changes to the itinerary and they said YES....if there is a change in time to a port of call, it constitutes a itinerary change and I would be reimbursed $1250.  I said, "so if I was supposed to be in port from 9-5 and they change it 8-4"?  The claims rep said yes, it's a itinerary change.  So very interesting... wouldn't have expected that, but their claims department confirmed it for me.  A nice little perk I suppose, but at the same it's "careful what you wish for". LOL

Edited by slyster

I wish we had 3 weeks. I was on the TA Jewel of the seas that had all ports changed 2 days prior. Some of us had no idea until arrival at terminal (which is another reason wifi and internet are important). Quite a few of us tried for obc but weren't successful as some of the more elite individuals. I've also had ports canceled and changed. I've never received obc. I wouldn't count on getting it. That is really a shame about bonaire. I'd rather go there than Nassau also.

5 hours ago, welshrich said:

Maybe it's time they started doing mystery cruises where you pay a set price and can end up going anywhere.

This would not surprise me one bit. Yet another money making idea for Miami here on CC... I'd bet this would be received very well by many at discounted prices. Next we'll hear of upgrade emails to buy a week as a PN on Oasis Class rather than staying at D or D+ ... oh yeah, right.... they already started this with "The Key" :classic_wacko:

4 hours ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

But sailing on Harmony so they probably don't change big ships very much I assume.

I agree, However I was not so lucky... My Jan 8, 2017 Harmony was changed from Nassau/St Thomas/St Marten to St Marten/San Juan/Labadee due to weather. I found out the day before my sailing from an email from my St Marten tour provider (Capt Bob of Soualiga).... nothing from RCL. I was very early at the pier to check in, probably one of the first. I told the desk clerk about the change and he didn't even know .... a more experienced clerk heard me ask and walked over with a letter stating the change. I also had that letter in my cabin. I heard later that many cruisers did not find out about the change until 1pm when they entered their cabins and found their letters.

• Like 1

Well, I love Aruba, and I love Bonaire (although I have not been back since we were there for a week back in 96).  Bonaire is a wonderful port if you are a scuba diver, great easy scuba diving.  However, there is not much else there to do.  Shopping is limited.  It is a desert island (like its sisters in the ABC Aruba and Curaçao), and there is not much there other than a few small parrots and wild donkeys.  There is a big salt lake / marsh that can have a ton of flamingos and a slave buildings nearby, but not really a great spot if you are not into scuba.  

That said, Nassau is not awesome.  I am sorry for the change to your itinerary.

jc

3 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

My Eastern Carib  became a Western Carib , ( the night prior to sailing)  a few years  ago and it never occurred to me to file  any type of claim.  There was no loss - what am I missing?

Thanks. M

More common then you realize. Over the yrs I've had some ports change and all change. Weather, Canceled cruise, no reason and couple dozen medical emergency's. Most ever got was Free Drinks for 2hrs on a missed port/sea day. Though once did book a 14nite Repo, was canceled and choice was a 12nite Repo on different ship with slightly different dates, Ports and where ship started/ended. Did get $450 OBC for a Jr Cabin if I accepted. I was lucky one, read  cruise was canceled on here, jumped on other ship and reserved a great cabin even before most had found out days and weeks later...

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

My Eastern Carib  became a Western Carib , ( the night prior to sailing)  a few years  ago and it never occurred to me to file  any type of claim.  There was no loss - what am I missing?

Thanks. M

You had to purchase a great Insurance policy, I had same thing happen twice and ones I had wouldn't and haven't gave me a penny...

Edited by ONECRUISER

this process  would be a whole  lot better if they would explain the actual reason for the change.  Just because we can does not work.  I have  always believed the wording of the contract covers  situations  where weather, mechanical issues, or whatever forces the change.  I was on a cruise on Explorer out of Bayonne that had a Noro outbreak, so we had to skip Labadee, instead went to San Juan, went to St Thomas instead of St Martin, and headed back to NJ. no foreign port would have allowed us ashore. 

Sometimes people react much better if the company would  just be honest, up front, and state clearly the reasons for changes. And implying that one should be as excited about the changes as the company is does little to calm the situation.

23 hours ago, cb at sea said:

When you bought your cruise, you agreed to their terms.  They clearly state they may change, rearrange, replace or cancel any port, at any time, for any reason.  Just so you know.

Did you read the OP's post all the way to the end?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks. M

It depends on your policy.  The thing that I like about the Nationwide is that the policy is cruise-specific and covers things that other policies don't.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sometimes people react much better if the company would  just be honest, up front, and state clearly the reasons for changes. And implying that one should be as excited about the changes as the company is does little to calm the situation.

Agreed. People would be less angry if they knew the reason for the change.

• Like 1