Why book with a personal cruise consultant

shanni-shanni

1 hour ago, Av8rix said:

I've had the same wonderful PCC for 9 years now.  My experience with him has been similar to * Miss G*'s with respect to awesome results from guarantee bookings, upsells, responsiveness, etc, etc.  Don't know what I'd do without him.

We need to talk.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:28 PM, ChinaShrek said:

They pester the heck out of you until you book a cruise!  :classic_biggrin:  My PCC will email weekly and leave phone messages until I either: 1) book a HAL cruise with her; or 2) book a HAL cruise with someone else.  About two weeks after I return from the cruise the "harassing" begins again.  Obviously, she works on commission but it does get annoying. 

OMG!  With all of our experience in planning with our PCC, we have Never been harassed or pestered.  We will only book direct with the cruise line (HAL) for more efficient service and those perks and it is more personal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We need to talk.

Umm, we're really not permitted to name our PCCs but the first name of mine is the same as the title of a university official.  Is yours by any chance the same person?  Hope you see this post soon, as it might be removed by the admins.

11 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Umm, we're really not permitted to name our PCCs but the first name of mine is the same as the title of a university official.  Is yours by any chance the same person?  Hope you see this post soon, as it might be removed by the admins.

Definitely don’t know anyone by the name of Provost!  😅

No worries, Av8rix.  It will get sorted.  It always does!

• Haha 1

In my experience the PCC provides great customer serrvice and sometimes can get things done that I doubt (but dio not know for certain) a normal TA could.  For example, last week I wanted to book a cruise but I wanted a specific cabin.  The HAL website and two large on-line agencies would not allow me to book a specific  cabin in the entire category.  I called my PCC and she could not do it either, but she said she would work on it.  About an hour later she called back and got the cabin I wanted.  Another example, one time we had some issues on the cruise just completed and we mentioned them to our PCC when she did a follow up call after our cruise (It was not bad enough for us to lodge a formal complaint).  She insisted that we should email her the details and we did, a few weeks later we got an email from HAL about the issue and offering us some very nice OBC for our troubles (which we gladly accepted of course).

Further, by using a PCC I get upsell offfers directly from HAL on almost every cruise.  I immediately call the number provided and often get a great choice of cabins.  One time I was able to get the only Neptune cabin in the offer (according to the HAL rep I talked to and verified by a friend who tried to get it also).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We might have the best PCC in the world, but would have no clue as we never use her.  Bottom line is that we can save about 10% with most of our bookings (after netting out OBCs and other amenities) by using any of several decent cruise agencies.  Since we take longer cruises our savings are often in excess of $1000.  Our PCC once suggested we book through her and then transfer the booking to one of our cruise agents, but we cannot see a reason to deal with a two step process.  Now, we generally book online (with one of our favorite cruise agencies) which takes us about 2 minutes and we toast our PCC with some of the money we save :).

Hank

That has been our experience with TA's, as well.  One can have wonderful experience or poor experiences with either PCC's or TA's, but a change of agent can usually correct that.  What a PCC cannot due, according to the one I spoke to, is give us a 10% discount.  Since we also take longer cruises, the ability to speak directly with a PCC v. a TA is simply not worth it.  Incidentally, we have frequently gotten more than 10% discount, although that did not happen with our last cruise.  A good TA will be able to go to bat for you - and quickly.  I called our TA on a Saturday recently when I saw the price had dropped.  I received confirmation a couple of hours later, which was, at least for me, sufficient.  

Not interested in a cruise line  PCC employee or any such booking agent.

We enjoy our TA provided  commission rebates in the form of OBC's.

We appreciate her candid recent feedback info from her clients on various ships/cruise lines.  The good and the not so good.  Her comments convinced us  from booking a real dog of a ship  few years ago.  The cruise line rep would not have been nearly as forthcoming or candid in the comments.  The subsequent reviews of that ship were awful.

We really appreciate her pointing out special offers on various cruise lines that we were not aware of OR in at least two instances suggesting that we not book the day we intended (inside the final payment window), but to wait for a few days because he contacts told her there were more reductions on the way or another cruise line had a much better offer.

We are not looking for a new best friend.  This is strictly a commercial transaction.  We don't want her to ask about our grandchildren etc.  Just book the cruise, thank you.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We might have the best PCC in the world, but would have no clue as we never use her.  Bottom line is that we can save about 10% with most of our bookings (after netting out OBCs and other amenities) by using any of several decent cruise agencies.  Since we take longer cruises our savings are often in excess of $1000.  Our PCC once suggested we book through her and then transfer the booking to one of our cruise agents, but we cannot see a reason to deal with a two step process.  Now, we generally book online (with one of our favorite cruise agencies) which takes us about 2 minutes and we toast our PCC with some of the money we save :).

Hank

I can understand that.  We use a TA that sounds very much like yours.  Why give up 10% savings on every cruise?  Our TA is a small business who treats us just as good as any PCC.  She also has the advantage of booking on any cruise line (still get the 10%) which is something no PCC can do.

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Further, by using a PCC I get upsell offfers directly from HAL on almost every cruise.  I immediately call the number provided and often get a great choice of cabins.  One time I was able to get the only Neptune cabin in the offer (according to the HAL rep I talked to and verified by a friend who tried to get it also).

Dealing with a PCC to get upsells seem rather like booking guarantee cabins. You do get a bit of a price break but you can only choose among the cabins left after everyone else has picked the better ones.

Just a word about upsell offers.  We get them through our cruise agents so it is not something exclusive to dealing with a PCC.  On the other hand, I have very mixed emotions about upsells.  At one time cruise lines would give "upgrades" and especially took care of their best customers.  But now, according to two different very busy cruise agents we have been told that with HAL (and some other lines) the chances of getting a free upgrade are best if you are a newbie cruiser on your first cruise.  4 and 5 Star Mariners need not apply because we are viewed as "already hooked" so there is no need to give us anything.  Although we have received our share of upsell offers we have only taken one of those offers (for a Signature Suite on the Prinsendam).  We book the category cabin we want at the price we are willing to pay, so paying more for what we generally do not want is something we leave to others.  In some ways it is like the "loss leader" in marketing.  Get somebody to buy a cruise at a good price and then entice them to spend even more money is terrific marketing.  Its similar to when you go to a car dealer, find the car you want, and then the salesman convinces you to spend more money for a few extra options you likely do not need.

Hank

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Dealing with a PCC to get upsells seem rather like booking guarantee cabins. You do get a bit of a price break but you can only choose among the cabins left after everyone else has picked the better ones.

Not really true IMO.  What happens is that often the highest ranking level cabins within a category often are open, as many people will opt for a less expensive cabin with the category (this happens alot with the Veranda category).  We have done at least a dozen upsells to a Neptune and in every case we got a very good location that we were happy with.  A year ago we did an upsell and got a cabin right across from the Neptune Lounge - this one happened to be open do to a last minute cancellation. 

17 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Not really true IMO.  What happens is that often the highest ranking level cabins within a category often are open, as many people will opt for a less expensive cabin with the category (this happens alot with the Veranda category).  We have done at least a dozen upsells to a Neptune and in every case we got a very good location that we were happy with.  A year ago we did an upsell and got a cabin right across from the Neptune Lounge - this one happened to be open do to a last minute cancellation. 

We prefer to choose our cabins at booking.  Typically, we choose SB, the aft wraps.  Furthermore, we have specific decks we want.  Just not worth the chance that we'd have to take a cabin we wouldn't prefer.   Or, even not get an upsell.  Just like a guarantee, take a chance on the cabin while getting a discount on the rate.  

On 5/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, *Miss G* said:

Oh sorry.  I forgot to answer the original question.  The advantages I found with a PCC over a TA were:

• I was immediately assigned a good room location with every guarantee booking so I always knew what I was getting.  No surprises!
  •  

Really? I'm curious about this. You booked a guarantee cabin but were assigned a room -- immediately?  How far out from the cruise did you book? Are you saying your PCC was able to assign your cabin right away even though you got a guarantee? Earlier than the other guarantees were assigned?

Love love love our PCC!! Since I’m still in Maui on DH business I started looking for our next cruise for 2021! Haven’t even done our next 3 for 2020. Found Koningsdam San Diego RT collector cruise Mexico and Hawaii. I tried to get into making a reservation and anytime I put in the suite I wanted it would not accept it and only showed what HAL was willing to give out 🙄 I called her and she was right on it👍 She called corporate and got them to open up the room and she booked it for us😊 Also besides the perks that came with booking (exp 4 and the PG) she was able to give OBC $150.00. We think she is great. We have had her 10 years always pulls through for us!

Her name is after a candy😉

Denise😊

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 11:19 PM, *Miss G* said:

Oh sorry.  I forgot to answer the original question.  The advantages I found with a PCC over a TA were:

• I was immediately assigned a good room location with every guarantee booking so I always knew what I was getting.  No surprises!

4 hours ago, Moriah said:

Really? I'm curious about this. You booked a guarantee cabin but were assigned a room -- immediately?  How far out from the cruise did you book? Are you saying your PCC was able to assign your cabin right away even though you got a guarantee? Earlier than the other guarantees were assigned?

I a curious on this as well Miss G. Could you elaborate please?

I'm considering a cruise where I will have to do a guarantee (uggh) - it's the rules of that cruise/voyage.

thanks 🙂 

6 hours ago, Moriah said:

Yes, that is correct.  It didn’t matter how far out I booked, my PCC assigned me a room immediately when I booked a guarantee.  I never had to wait to see what I got.  One of the many reasons I miss him.  🙁

13 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, that is correct.  It didn’t matter how far out I booked, my PCC assigned me a room immediately when I booked a guarantee.  I never had to wait to see what I got.  One of the many reasons I miss him.  🙁

Have to say that was highly unusual.  I always thought booking a guarantee actually blocked you from picking or getting a specific cabin at the initial booking.   I have to wonder if the PCC was playing “fast and lose” with the booking system?   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Have to say that was highly unusual.  I always thought booking a guarantee actually blocked you from picking or getting a specific cabin at the initial booking.   I have to wonder if the PCC was playing “fast and lose” with the booking system?   

Well, it does seem odd to me as well, but I did something similar last week.  I wanted a specific SY cabin but the system (and other on-line agencies sites as well would only let me book a guarantee.  My PCC had the same issue so I told her that I would hold off booking until they opened up the category (I could book a specific cabin in the higher SS level though).  She told me that she would see what she could do and about 30 minutes later she called back and said that she got it done!  Further, the SY level is still only showing guarantees, so I know she somehow worked the system for me.

So, sometimes it can be "worked around", but I do not think that is a normal situation to do so.  Further, just one more thing I like about using a PCC, as I seriously doubt that a high volume TA would mess with it.

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Well, it does seem odd to me as well, but I did something similar last week.  I wanted a specific SY cabin but the system (and other on-line agencies sites as well would only let me book a guarantee.  My PCC had the same issue so I told her that I would hold off booking until they opened up the category (I could book a specific cabin in the higher SS level though).  She told me that she would see what she could do and about 30 minutes later she called back and said that she got it done!  Further, the SY level is still only showing guarantees, so I know she somehow worked the system for me.

So, sometimes it can be "worked around", but I do not think that is a normal situation to do so.  Further, just one more thing I like about using a PCC, as I seriously doubt that a high volume TA would mess with it.

That actually makes more sense.  In essence your PCC was able to work around the system and get you a specific cabin booked rather than booking a guarantee.  That made it a regular booking rather than a guarantee with a specific cabin assigned at the initial booking.   I don’t know whether or not an external TA could negotiate the same thing.  I guess they might if they were a large/key account but we don’t book guarantees so I have no experience.   In the meantime I’m getting a 10% discount which makes me happy and outweighs any thing I’ve ever been offered by any PCC on any cruise line.   

16 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

That actually makes more sense.  In essence your PCC was able to work around the system and get you a specific cabin booked rather than booking a guarantee.  That made it a regular booking rather than a guarantee with a specific cabin assigned at the initial booking.   I don’t know whether or not an external TA could negotiate the same thing.  I guess they might if they were a large/key account but we don’t book guarantees so I have no experience.   In the meantime I’m getting a 10% discount which makes me happy and outweighs any thing I’ve ever been offered by any PCC on any cruise line.   

My two cents ( and you know what the penny is worth in Canada).

It sounds to me like the PCC may have taken Dave’s cabin out of inventory.  I’ve had both my PCC and my TA do that for me.   I don’t book guarantees normally and in those cases I was looking for a specific location and didn’t want to do a guarantee nor the locations/cabins  offered for my collectors’ cruise.

That sounds a little bit like the "Hide the Peanut" game.   Most of us know how the guarantee cabin thing works.

I mean,  a clever PCC could have cancelled the booking and just re-booked the fare when the subsequent prices dropped lower whilst letting the purchaser think it was an "immediate cabin assignment".     We do that with our on-line conglomerate travel agency no problem.

Just taking a guess in the dark here.....

Edited by JRG

I have not cruised much but the PCC I was assigned could do what I could not do personally and my guess is that most travel agents would find extremely difficult to do.  That is based on my experience with the few TAs with whom I have dealt.

About  week before final payment date but well before sailing,  I finally committed  to take a particular cruise but only if I could get a Lanai Cabin.  I did not want a private balcony and I did not want an inside or oceanview.  I would only be satisfied with a Lanai.  The problem was that I had been checking the online reservation for this cruise for at least the four previous months and the Lanais were sold out .

I took the chance and called the PC Consultant assigned to me as listed on the brochures mailed every other day by HAL.  I indicated that I would commit to  the cruise but only if there was a Lanai cabin.  He looked a the list and told me there were no Lanai cabins available.  I said I knew that but if one came available I would take it.  Two days later he calls and tells me one came available and he indicates the cabin number. It was not a guarantee but a specific room.  The price was the current price and the perks,  onboard credits, prepaid gratuities and the like were based on the current offers. I accepted.  As the payment date was only 5 days away, I paid immediately.  Later he was able to get some additional onboard credit for me even though I had not requested it.

Subsequent to the reservation I continued to check the online information and no Lanais ever came available.  Verandah suites continued to be available up to about a two weeks before the cruise, as I received offers to upgrade for a price, up until then.

I am presuming that the PCC contacted HAL reservations and HAL made a generous upgrade offer to some of the people with Lanai reservations and one jumped.  Perhaps a TA could have had that kind of pull with HAL and would also be as helpful for me.  But I believe the PCC relationship with HAL is what got me the room so quickly.