Royal's MDR "Suggestions" and "Reccomendations" Are Lost On The Mass Market Steerage

Currently sailing on RCI.  The MDR looks like the Golden Corral on Friday night - even on the so-called "formal" night.  Men in shorts, T shirts, flip flops, ball caps. Women in shorts and tank tops.

We read the fine print in the daily Compass and it reads "Dress Suggestion: Formal" and "Please note that short pants, slippers & hats are not reccomended at dinner time.  Bare feet and tank tops will not be permitted in the main dining room"

Suggestions and recommendations apparently have no effect on the mass market crowd.

9 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Suggestions and recommendations apparently have no effect on the mass market crowd.

No surprise, to be expected if no level of attire is enforced.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How does one enforce suggestions and not rules?

That's it exactly.  They have slid from a dress code that was at least somewhat enforceable to all-in-free suggestions and recommendations.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed has suggested that if we want a more refined dining experience I should recommend a more traditional cruise line😁

I think I'll just stop packing extra clothes to dress up, break out my shorts and T shirt, put my ball cap on backwards, and join bubba at the feeding trough.😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

That's it exactly.  They have slid from a dress code that was at least somewhat enforceable to all-in-free suggestions and recommendations.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed has suggested that if we want a more refined dining experience I should recommend a more traditional cruise line😁

I think I'll just stop packing extra clothes to dress up, break out my shorts and T shirt, put my ball cap on backwards, and join bubba at the feeding trough.😉 

You had me question your intent when you spelled "Recommendations" wrong in the title, and referring to "steerage"   You confirmed my thoughts about you by your additional post. To some people Golden Corral is a dining experience and to generalize people by calling them Bubba isn't nice.  Please try to be kinder to others.  

Edited by KimPossible1
  • Like 17
  • Haha 4

One might consider your derogatory verbiage regarding other passengers' apparel as on par with  those who wear ballcaps and shorts to dinner in the dining room.  JMO, you need to address your negative impolite language regarding other guests before  criticizing the dress choice of others.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I think referring to those who wear T shirts, shorts, and ballcaps to the MDR as bubbas at the trough was indeed a bit harsh.  When I was a young hillbilly growing up, we were taught to dress and behave as young ladies and gentlemen.  Those lessons, carried over to today, have been lost on lots of folks who dress for fine dining in the MDR like a trip to WalMart.

Like it or not, your dress and decorum says a lot 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Those lessons, carried over to today, have been lost on lots of folks who dress for fine dining in the MDR like a trip to WalMart.

Like it or not, your dress and decorum says a lot 

Oh my!!! This says a lot about you because you once again put your foot in your mouth, so I give up, lol.  Have a nice day 🙂

• Like 3

We were on Liberty in Nov. and I was generally impressed with the standard of dress. After reading here in CC how it appeared it was anything goes now u really expected to see what you described. However, at least on Liberty that week the majority loonies good even on non formal nights. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bowler15547 said:

Unfortunately those of us who enjoy dressing up and the elegance of the MDR are in the minority now. Formal wear does not take up that much room in the suitcase. 

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Currently sailing on RCI.  The MDR looks like the Golden Corral on Friday night - even on the so-called "formal" night.  Men in shorts, T shirts, flip flops, ball caps. Women in shorts and tank tops.

We read the fine print in the daily Compass and it reads "Dress Suggestion: Formal" and "Please note that short pants, slippers & hats are not reccomended at dinner time.  Bare feet and tank tops will not be permitted in the main dining room"

Blah, blah, blah not enough room in the suitcase. Blah, blah, blah it's MY vacation. Blah, blah, blah why should you care what others wear in the dining room. Blah, blah, blah it's only suggested. Blah, blah, blah if you don't like it pay to cruise on a luxury line that enforces the dress code. 

People have a thousand reasons to look like slobs in the MDR.

Yet, if those very same people see someone smoking 1 foot out of the smoking boundaries, experience someone coming into the MDR or an elevator smelling like smoke, or smell smoke from their balcony because someone is burning a heater outside (GASP!), they will not hesitate to complain like it's the end of civilized life. Why should they care if smokers want to shorten their own lifespan?

And should you suggest they seek out a ship that is non-smoking bow to stern, you get "I don't need you or anyone else telling me how to spend my vacation $$$" , "They just need to make ALL ships smoke free", or something very similar. 

Until RCCL or any of the other "mainstream" cruise lines actually start enforcing MDR dress codes, unfortunately it will probably only get worse.

Who knows? Maybe it's their way to get more people buying the dining packages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

I stopped caring about what other people wear on formal nights years ago.  I wear what I want, they wear what they want.  Everyone should be happy, right?

Unfortunately, not all cruisers are as pretty as you and your sister, so they need all the help they can get.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Maybe it is the time of year or locations.  I have never seen such casual attire in the MDR during my 15(?) cruises.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We were on Liberty in Nov. and I was generally impressed with the standard of dress. After reading here in CC how it appeared it was anything goes now u really expected to see what you described. However, at least on Liberty that week the majority loonies good even on non formal nights. 

Same here. I believe I was on the Liberty a week after Tree_skier and can report the same experience.

Only a matter of time before the mass market lines just dump the MDR all together; pack in some more cabins and expand the buffet and add more up pay restaurants.  RCL has gotta make a buck, this ain't 1999.  Gonna be like "Con Air"; get used to it...        

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Same here. I believe I was on the Liberty a week after Tree_skier and can report the same experience.

Did Liberty 5 years ago, rented a tux on board, and just blended in. Ate exclusively in the MDR and dress code was definitely enforced.

I wouldn't wear T shirts, shorts, or ballcaps to a white tablecloth restaurant at home and I don't do it on a ship either. I think it is disrespectful to not dress for the occasion. If you don't want to dress you can eat in the Windjammer. Of course there's always the guy who shows up to a wedding in baggy jeans and a t-shirt too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I could not believe that I was seeing adults in pajamas in the MDR during dinner on the Liberty.  I get casual and I believe in doing what you want on your vacation, but seriously? 

• Thanks 1