To Review or Not to Bother? That is the Question

Be warned, this is not your average question. I need to decide whether to review our upcoming August 2019, six night cruise on Adventure of the Seas from Cape Liberty, NJ to Canada and Bar Harbour, Maine. Last year I did a long review on Carnival Sensation, because I saw that the poor good vessel was not receiving very much attention any longer and thought that even my worthless observations might have some value to others.  Also, due to the shock of losing a friend to cancer at the age of 37 (nearly 15 years ago now), I have this really, really annoying tendency to enjoy, and be grateful for, nearly every minute of my life, facing even adversity with a lot of optimism.  So an old ship in the polarizing Fantasy class received (mostly) a lot of love from one Kmom.

I have little patience for complainers, the entitled, and the hopelessly selfish, unless they at least have a sense of humor about it.  I rarely get annoyed with service workers, having worked at various such jobs during my 16 years in the Orlando, Florida area.  I am mostly interested in my travelling companions getting what they want out of vacations, again, since I will enjoy almost anything they choose, see cancer note above.

I specifically opted out of doing a review on my subsequent voyage on Oasis of the Seas, because plenty of people are already throwing their two cents in on it.  Of course I loved that ship and that cruise, but everything I need to say about it has been said by somebody else, so I held back, for once.

For this August cruise, my mother is treating us - I will be sharing a Jr. Suite "on the hump" with her, and DH and DD will be in the one next door.  We already have a rental car booked so I can drive Mom over to see the reversing rapids in Saint John, but otherwise haven't finalized port plans.

I feel sort of compelled to do the review, because so many others went to the trouble here on Cruise Critic (it's not easy) and those facts have been enormously helpful to me. On the other hand, time is money, and all that, and would this time be, um, money well spent? Can't decide.

• Like 1

I write a review of every cruise and it's as much for me as it is for anyone else. I can go back whenever I want to relive any of our cruises and also to use them as a yard stick for comparing our past cruises with our current ones. So I'd say go for it.

• Like 2

Your post was longer than most reviews..lol. 😅  I, for one, would definitely read it.  Why not give it a shot and if it becomes too much, you can always stop.  (many people do)   ....It does not have to be long and continuous, as some people do..just give your synopsis. _ 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I would love yo hear about your cruise. I am not gifted with witty verbage. So my post cruise reviews are just a bunch of pictures. But i love to read of others adventures. 

Thanks, Sue, you are probably wittier than you realize. If nothing else, you are kind and encouraging and the world needs a lot more of that!

41 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Your post was longer than most reviews..lol. 😅  I, for one, would definitely read it.  Why not give it a shot and if it becomes too much, you can always stop.  (many people do)   ....It does not have to be long and continuous, as some people do..just give your synopsis. _ 

Yes, Champagne, I do go on and on once I get started. However I could certainly start with a synopsis page (I also sometimes tire of scrolling through hundreds of posts from admiring fans, and multiple pages to see what happened to some lovely poster on day 4 of an 8 day cruise).  If energy permits the many follow up posts can provide pics and more detail. Thank you.

42 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I write a review of every cruise and it's as much for me as it is for anyone else. I can go back whenever I want to relive any of our cruises and also to use them as a yard stick for comparing our past cruises with our current ones. So I'd say go for it.

Thanks Sparks. I have enjoyed your posts and agree with the general objective and strategy, which will likely win the day in the end.  It won't take a whole lot of encouragement to seal this deal.

51 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Well, you have 7 months to decide. 

Valid, Milwaukee. However you are clearly a substantially more rational person than myself. Why obsess in 7 months when I can start obsessing RIGHT NOW????  Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Wildcatfish said:

I would love to hear your review!  We are considering a New England/Canada cruise, and have never sailed Adventure.

Bring on the review!  We would be grateful 🙂

Thank you, Catfish.  There are lots of great reviews about this ship, but I don't find so many describing the northerly experience of these ports, which we chose because my 3 companions don't like the Caribbean heat in the summertime.  Might discover some good info along the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am writing a preview - semi-live trip report for my cruise next week.

Even though this site is getting fewer users, if I can help one or two new cruisers know what to expect, then I feel satisfied.

I will happily read any reviews you write and I enjoyed your last one.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Thank you, Catfish.  There are lots of great reviews about this ship, but I don't find so many describing the northerly experience of these ports, which we chose because my 3 companions don't like the Caribbean heat in the summertime.  Might discover some good info along the way.

The above in red is very true.  You might be able to give pointers on what or what not to do from your experiences.

• Thanks 1

1.   I like Adventure OTS.  It and Navigator are Goldilocks size....just right.   Last sailed on her two years ago.   Would like another review.

2.   Reviews of Northbound itineraries are not too common.   I'd really like to see one.   We are considering a fall run north next year.

Go for it.  Lot of pics !!!

• Thanks 1

I am a casual cruiser.  I only go on 1 cruise a year or less.  But, I love reading reviews because it helps me remember what it feels like to be on a cruise.  I will probably never sail on Anthem or any Quantum class (unless one comes to Galveston, which won't happen anytime soon). But, I would still read your review just because it's so fun to see other people's experiences.  

Oops- editing to add... I just saw your review is about Adventure and not Anthem.  But, you still get my point.  I'll read any review that someone takes the time to write 🙂

Edited by happymanitee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Sparks you make an excellent point.  I may just look for a journal app to download to my phone because of your suggestion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sparks you make an excellent point.  I may just look for a journal app to download to my phone because of your suggestion.

Thank you. I actually use the "memo" feature of my tablet to take notes during the cruise (I normally write my notes up the following day while I'm drinking coffee on Lido in the morning). My phone also has a "memo" feature but it's too small for my old eyes to see it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Thank you. I actually use the "memo" feature of my tablet to take notes during the cruise (I normally write my notes up the following day while I'm drinking coffee on Lido in the morning). My phone also has a "memo" feature but it's too small for my old eyes to see it.

Sparks you have been such a help today. I just checked notes on my iPhone and I can add pictures. I use notes all of the time but never considered using it for a review. I only use it for short notes and lists. If they called it diary or journal I probably would have used it more often. 

OP thanks. If you hadn't started this thread I would have never had the interaction with Sparks. With that said, I think you should write the review even if it benefits one person  you have contributed to the community. You already helped me.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi K,

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I feel sort of compelled to do the review, because so many others went to the trouble here on Cruise Critic (it's not easy) and those facts have been enormously helpful to me

You know the answer.

Have a nice trip.

Ira

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Lol....exactly.  And it helps with those post cruise blues to document and write about it.

OP, always happy to read your review if you end up writing one.  Know what you mean...many hear are critical, but everyone has their opinion.  I just take negative comments in stride and just really enjoy hearing others experiences.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy reading others experiences on cruising. I have not done any live reviews as I don't get the internet on the ship and am afraid that doing a live review would take up to much of my time on the cruise.  Even though a ship has been reviewed countless times, it's always good to get a different perspective.  Plus that person may have done something different, seen something new.  So I say write on and give us your perspective.

• Like 3

I enjoy writing reviews and love reading other people's reviews.  I think if you like writing, then do it.  If it's a chore, then don't.  It should be something fun, not an obligation.  My only request/suggestion is that you write the whole thing before you start posting.  I get so frustrated when I get involved in a review, only to find out that the person stopped at day 2. :classic_sad:

• Haha 1

I enjoy reading other peoples reviews as long as they are posted in one go. I soon lose interest, in reviews, when they are posted in parts and I have to wade through other posters comment just to find the next part.   I love to read other posters comment but at the end of a review.

I would love to hear how your mum copes because if I am remembering correctly your mum has limited mobility. That is why you are hiring a car see the reversing rapids.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

I enjoy reading other peoples reviews as long as they are posted in one go. I soon lose interest, in reviews, when they are posted in parts and I have to wade through other posters comment just to find the next part.   I love to read other posters comment but at the end of a review.

Some, like Harryfat1, seem to keep the audience even when the review thread goes on for hundreds of ports. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the very supportive responses.  Obviously I will go ahead and put something together; thank you all for not flaming me.  Per Sparks, one of the greatest benefits of my Sensation review (to myself) was photos.  I took very few on the previous cruise on Carnival Triumph, and likewise afterward on Oasis.  But I took 80 bajillion on Sensation, because I knew I would need them for the review.  After the cruise, the photos basically wrote the review for me. "Oh, yeah, that was the xyz in Nassau. I've never seen a pic of that here, better post and explain why we liked it."  Remembered so many little things that I had enjoyed and then shared.

4 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

I enjoy writing reviews and love reading other people's reviews.  I think if you like writing, then do it.  If it's a chore, then don't.  It should be something fun, not an obligation.  My only request/suggestion is that you write the whole thing before you start posting.  I get so frustrated when I get involved in a review, only to find out that the person stopped at day 2. :classic_sad:

I do not like that one bit either and I think we have all experienced this. Terrible! Just when I was starting to like you, off you go! I do like writing, to a point, and I also like to finish what I start.

3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I would love to hear how your mum copes because if I am remembering correctly your mum has limited mobility. That is why you are hiring a car see the reversing rapids.

I know exactly what you mean!  And yes, we are the limited mobility reversing rapids people from that other post where many kind Canadian people helped me figure out what to do about it.  She is renting a narrow scooter since our room is not handicap accessible and I am a bit worried that it has only a tub and not a walk in shower. She may be riding her scooter to the gym to shower there!  So I will definitely be able to discuss that, for the ports and aboard ship as well. :)

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some, like Harryfat1, seem to keep the audience even when the review thread goes on for hundreds of ports. 

I really like Harryfat1, and he was may main role model in how I tried to write the Carnival Sensation review. But I have to admit, I only have read one of his all the way to the end, and it took a long time.  After my own long review was done, I found myself annoyed that it was many dozens of posts over several pages.  I didn't have nearly the number of reader responses that he gets, but it still ended up being a lot to go through for someone who was trying to get useful cruise information.  If I do that again I will plan and edit differently.

33 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Reviews are so valuable!  I feel bad because I love them, but rarely do them.  I know my friend who never does them, uses them exclusively to help guide his decision for his family cruises and excursions 🙂

Wow, that's a lot of pressure.  I can assure you I do take my comments and advice pretty seriously and strive to give info that is factual and would help people make decisions that are good for their own preferences; even if it's something I don't mind but I can see it would probably bother others, I try to (nicely) warn about it.