Mini-bar setup

We have sailed Silversea, which also provides open bars and alcoholic beverages with meals.  They also will do an alcholic beverage setup of the mini bar in the cabins.  Does Regent setup the mini bars with alcoholic beverages as well?

Hi and welcome to the Regent board!  Yes - Regent does an alcoholic beverage set-up in your suite.  If you are in a Penthouse or above suite, you can order the set-up online.  Otherwise, when your stewardess/steward greets you in your suite after embarkation, you can tell him/her what you would like.  

We have sailed Silversea three times (love the Whisper and Shadow) and find Regent and Silversea to be quite similar.  The one big difference is that Regent is less formal than Silversea.

What ship will you be sailing on and what itinerary?

We are in a cat G suite and we asked for Glenmorangie Grand Mariner Chardonnay and Champagne(Monopole blue top, which is being served all over the ship). We were surprised at the size of the bottles of the scotch and liquor- 1 litre- really hard to make much of a dent in those what with all the other cocktail opportunities on board😃

• Like 1

We use to take a bottle home with us but now we use a luggage shipping service and that is not allowed and you can’t take it on in the planes cabin unless it is bought in duty free and delivered to the aircraft.  Here in the US you may encounter a confiscation from international to domestic flights.  This has happened to us.  The TSA does not care if you bought the alcohol in duty free.

• Like 1

I bring along heavy plastic bags and pack the bottles tightly in the hard sided suitcase.  I have never had breakage.  (Knock on wood).  It is nearly  impossible to finish the bottles and they can’t repurpose it once it is opened.   Because I was raised by depression era parents, I simply can’t stand to waste things I’ve ordered.  

• Like 1

We had one of our bottles hidden in a suitcase, and it was opened by the baggage handlers.  I guess they drank some, but didn't close it really tight and our clothes were nicely scented when we got home.

The left-over liquor in the cabins all gets dumped down the drain, btw.

(And to the OP, as you've gathered, it's not strictly a mini-bar setup with little bottles, but large bottles of your favourite tipple.)

• Like 1

Most bottles onboard are liters rather than the 750 ml. bottles (exception is Don Julio and Patron tequila).  We have taken partially used bottles home with only one incident ........ in Dubai, the suitcases only went from the ship to our taxi -- bottle was smashed before we even got to the hotel in Dubai.   

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and all the information.  Travelcat2, we are on Mariner's May 26 sailing to Alaska.  We have been sailing Oceania lately and really have enjoyed the cuisine, but tire of carrying around the card whenever we want a drink or wine with meals.  Looking forward to the Mariner.  Looks like a beautiful, year-old refurbishment will greet us.  Our favorite line is Silversea, especially the Whisper.  Especially enjoyed the entertainment.  Not broadway shows, but fabulous voices with the ability to deliver everything from Motown to opera, and do it well!  Oceania has acceptable, but not excellent entertainment.  I'm hoping Regent is a step up in that department.  Thanks again for the info.  I'll be back.  I have lots of questions about food...

3 hours ago, Tybeequeen2010 said:

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and all the information.  Travelcat2, we are on Mariner's May 26 sailing to Alaska.  We have been sailing Oceania lately and really have enjoyed the cuisine, but tire of carrying around the card whenever we want a drink or wine with meals.  Looking forward to the Mariner.  Looks like a beautiful, year-old refurbishment will greet us.  Our favorite line is Silversea, especially the Whisper.  Especially enjoyed the entertainment.  Not broadway shows, but fabulous voices with the ability to deliver everything from Motown to opera, and do it well!  Oceania has acceptable, but not excellent entertainment.  I'm hoping Regent is a step up in that department.  Thanks again for the info.  I'll be back.  I have lots of questions about food...

Sadly, Regent uses the same entertainers as Oceania but most passengers do not have high expectations of the entertainment on a luxury cruise line.  Some singers are better than others ..... it depends upon the cruise.  Alaska cruises are a bit different than other Regent cruises as they have more people new to Regent than other itineraries.  Good to hear that you are on a May sailing as the summer sailings are full of families and children (unusual for Regent).  We would not sail in June or July in Alaska - even if it were free.

Food is so subjective.  Most people love the options in CR (Compass Rose - the main dining room) where you can get lobster, filet mignon and other yummy items every day.  We have sailed on Oceania twice (Riviera) and loved Jacques, found the other specialty restaurants to be fine but would not want to step foot in the Terrace Cafe again.  While the food displayed looks great, the quality is simply not there.  We also do not care for the MDR although we would have breakfast or lunch there.  Some Oceania passengers feel that they have the best food at sea (based on advertisements).  To be fair, the Riviera's top suites are the better than Regent (we stayed in a Vista Suite and toured the Owner's Suite).

Hope that you will enjoy Regent.  No matter how many cruise lines we try, we always return to Regent.

• Like 1

We just got off an Oceania cruise--did we have a good time yes, however it wasn't a good cruise in total.  I think you made the right choice and you will enjoy Regent.  But, the entertainment isn't that good on Regent-it's OK, some shows we saw-we enjoyed.  but most of the time we just didn't go and friends that did said they wish they had not gone.  We're booked this April from Tokyo-Alaska ending up in Canada on the Mariner.  And we cruised on the Mariner last April and enjoyed the ship---it's not really showy, but nicely done. I like the ship and all that goes with Regent.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you, Travelcat2 for the critique of Oceania.  I agree the Terrace Cafe is interesting in concept, but the quality is lacking.  Our favorite was Jacques, followed by Red Ginger.  We really were unhappy with the MDR on Riviera and Marina, but enjoyed it on Regatta.  But, am excited to hear your recommendation of Compass Rose.  Tell me, the Italian arrangement in the evenings at the buffet location, is it up to par?

Ron Rick, thank you for your confirmation of Regent.  We are excited to be taking our first cruise in May.  All the best to you!

Love how you describe where you are from!   We have a cabin in Tiger.  The NE Georgia appalachians are indeed beautiful.  

We will be on our 8th Regent cruise in February.  We love the elegant yet laid back atmosphere.  We took one Oceania cruise on the Marina.  It was a beautiful ship but the lounges were dead and the the food was blah.   We were off the coast of Spain so there was a surcharge imposed on all alcohol that added 10% to the drink price that had already added an 18% tip.  I couldn’t turn off the cash register in my brain.   I’ll take Regent any day.  Yes, I know I’m paying upfront.  This arrangement just allows me to relax.  

I love compass rose as there is a predictable menu on one side and daily specials on he other side.  The chef can then showcase his creativity and source local ingredients.  Sette Mare is fine although there is too much food.  I should just stick to pasta and salad but I never do.  

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tybeequeen2010 said:

Looking forward to the Mariner.  Looks like a beautiful, year-old refurbishment will greet us.  Our favorite line is Silversea, especially the Whisper.  Especially enjoyed the entertainment.  Not broadway shows, but fabulous voices with the ability to deliver everything from Motown to opera, and do it well!  Oceania has acceptable, but not excellent entertainment.  I'm hoping Regent is a step up in that department.  

As regards entertainment on Regent, we have had mixed experiences but mostly good.

There is a resident production cast on board who will do a few different shows in the theatre during your cruise. The cast usually includes four singers - often excellent but sometimes ........ well ......... meh 😉

There will also be visiting guest entertainers; usually including one or more singers.

Some of the Regent Cruise Directors are good singers and will do their own show during the cruise.

Finally, don't miss the Krew Kapers show at the end of the cruise which showcases some of the crew's talents.

Enjoy your cruise on Mariner - one of our favourite ships 😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tybeequeen2010 said:

Thank you, Travelcat2 for the critique of Oceania.  I agree the Terrace Cafe is interesting in concept, but the quality is lacking.  Our favorite was Jacques, followed by Red Ginger.  We really were unhappy with the MDR on Riviera and Marina, but enjoyed it on Regatta.  But, am excited to hear your recommendation of Compass Rose.  Tell me, the Italian arrangement in the evenings at the buffet location, is it up to par?

Ron Rick, thank you for your confirmation of Regent.  We are excited to be taking our first cruise in May.  All the best to you!

We are regular Silversea sailors who occasionally sail on Regent, enjoying both lines.  As for the Italian restaurant on Regent, it in no way compares with La Terrazza on Silversea.  We were recently on Voyager and the evening transformation of the buffet to the Italian restaurant was not to our liking.  It has zero atmosphere, with bright, harsh lighting, and still feels like a cafeteria since you have to get your own salad at the buffet line.  Plus the food was nothing to brag about.  Silversea is (was) an Italian cruise line - Regent is not.

• Like 1

Back to the topic.  For any cabin you can call Regents at least a couple months before the cruise and request items that you want in your cabin bar set up.  We have done this the last two sailings and everything was set up when we got onboard.  If you ask for items the day you get onboard it may take a day or so to get everything.  This request includes what spirits, wine and soda we would like to have.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sadly, Regent uses the same entertainers as Oceania but most passengers do not have high expectations of the entertainment on a luxury cruise line.  Some singers are better than others ..... it depends upon the cruise.  Alaska cruises are a bit different than other Regent cruises as they have more people new to Regent than other itineraries.  Good to hear that you are on a May sailing as the summer sailings are full of families and children (unusual for Regent).  We would not sail in June or July in Alaska - even if it were free.

Food is so subjective.  Most people love the options in CR (Compass Rose - the main dining room) where you can get lobster, filet mignon and other yummy items every day.  We have sailed on Oceania twice (Riviera) and loved Jacques, found the other specialty restaurants to be fine but would not want to step foot in the Terrace Cafe again.  While the food displayed looks great, the quality is simply not there.  We also do not care for the MDR although we would have breakfast or lunch there.  Some Oceania passengers feel that they have the best food at sea (based on advertisements).  To be fair, the Riviera's top suites are the better than Regent (we stayed in a Vista Suite and toured the Owner's Suite).

Hope that you will enjoy Regent.  No matter how many cruise lines we try, we always return to Regent.

I would think that most people WOULD expect very good entertainment on a luxury cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I have never liked Sette Mari either...for the same reasons plus I find the food "American Italian" rather than pure Italian.  For what its worth I don't like Toscana on Oceania either - same sort of food!!

Sette Mari is not our favourite venue either.

On each cruise we visit only once, if at all. Unless we are with others who fancy giving it a try.

Compass Rose and the other speciality restaurants suit us just fine.

• Like 1

clasater - Seabourn, Silverea and Regent are small ships (Regent ships are the largest of the three) and they simply do not have space for large production shows.  Their best entertainment, IMHO, is in the lounges.   If you want a larger ship (and smaller cabins) - Crystal is likely a good choice.  The best entertainment I've seen on any ship was on NCL's 4,000 passenger Bliss.  However, I would not sail on a mainstream cruise line again as the negatives outweighs the positives.

Tybeequeen2010 - Food is so subjective and what one person likes, another will not like.  Italian food could be the most subjective since the food in each region of Italy varies quite dramatically.  We enjoy Sette Mari for what it is.  Everyone gets  meatballs, cheese and little bites on the table.  That you proceed to the antipasti bar (definitely not just a salad bar - it is quite extensive and has hot as well as cold items).  

By the time you enjoy the nibbles and antipasti bar, you could be full.  We really enjoy the Osso Bucco in Sette Mari (not always on the menu) and the pasta is quite good as well.  Soup and your main course is delivered to your table.  My only complaint about Sette Mari is that there is too much food.  By the time you go to the dessert bar (they also have gelato - not sure if this is on all ships or just Explorer), you usually only want a small taste (which is possible since it is buffet style).

If you are curious about the antipasti buffet and/or dessert bar, stop by and have a look at it and then decide if it is something that is worth trying.  Hope that this helps.

• Thanks 1

TC - "" My only complaint about Sette Mari is that there is too much food."" - exactly.   In Italy (and remember I live 45 minutes from the Italian border!) the portions are a lot smaller and more refined.   Which is why I do not care for either Sette Mari OR Toscana.

for the entertainment - the rehearsal facilities for the shows are shared between NCL, Regent and Oceania.  So of course there is some "cross fertilisation".  And there should be - economy of scale.   However I do not go on a ship to "enjoy" blockbuster shows.  If I want those - I can go to London.  I prefer and I suppose lots of other passengers our age do also - quiet evenings, good food, OK wine and nice company.  if I enjoy a show so much the better but normally I don't so I hardly bother.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Hambagahle, portions in Italy are not huge and certainly will not compare to a land based Italian restaurant in Milan, Rome , Sorrento , Venice VS any criuise line.  

Having travled to Switzerland many times mostly Zurich we have found an abundance of international restaurants that were excellent including small local venues in outside villages with local food and great wine.  We can’t wait to go back and visit our friends there.  Locals for sure know the best venues. we also are not fans of buffets even for salads or antipasto’s.

8 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

Back to the topic.  For any cabin you can call Regents at least a couple months before the cruise and request items that you want in your cabin bar set up.  We have done this the last two sailings and everything was set up when we got onboard.  If you ask for items the day you get onboard it may take a day or so to get everything.  This request includes what spirits, wine and soda we would like to have.

Wow, that’s great to know. I knew you could request a bar setup online in Penthouse and above but I hadn’t heard of calling in a request for the lower suites. 

Now if I can find that post from a month or so ago with the bar menu I can make the call. I think it was in one of the recent live blogs. Does anybody remember which thread that was, or have a recent copy of the bar menu?

If you are using a Travel Agent just call them and place your bar setup and they should send you a confirmation of what you ordered.  It should be in your suite when it is ready for occupancy.  Outside of alcohol you can request juices or special mixers for example Fever Tree Tonic if that’s what you like or almost anything else.  If you don’t ask you don’t get.

Enjoy your voyage!